-9

For all those who do not believe in God or His existence: It is curiously interesting that you never hear any other "imaginary," "mythical," or "fairy tale" name used as a by word in daily speaking as people regularly do regarding God - {i.e. Oh My God & God Damn It}. Amirite?

This is NOT a post to slam atheists or non believers. It just fascinates me however, that IF God really and truly is a "make believe" entity, then He is easily and clearly THE single most abused word in the English language. In my entire life (55 years worth and counting) I have NEVER heard anyone say, "Oh my Superman," or "Oh my Dracula," or "Oh my Unicorn," or "Oh my Ghost," or "Oh my Zombie," or "Oh my Mermaid."
Why ONLY the name of God? Out of ALL the supposed fictitious characters created by humanity, why and how did the name of only God rise to the top of being used in all language as a by word - especially in times of anger or surprise? Could it really be accidental or pure coincidence?

freespeechfreelancers avatar Language
0 8
The voters have decided that freespeechfreelancer is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.
@1955391

That God permeates the very core and fabric of all humanity to the degree that most every single person at some point utters the word God out of their mouths? I guess it isn't to someone like you. I find it beyond fascinating.
Especially in light of the fact that there are so many other words that could be spoken instead.

@freespeechfreelancer That God permeates the very core and fabric of all humanity to the degree that most every single person at some...

Given that one of the commandments is that you're not supposed to say the word God in that context, I don't really find that fascinating, nor do I see it as proof of anything.
In any case, the reason Christianity has had such an effect on our culture is because the Romans adopted it 2000 years ago, and because a vast majority of people still believe it. There's no coincidence involved.

@personThingy Given that one of the commandments is that you're not supposed to say the word God in that context, I don't really...

I understand the Christian side but many of my posts are to try and see and bridge over to the side of the atheist - who is not seeing things from a Christian perspective. It is more than coincidental that even atheists say "oh my God" or "God damn it" when they speak. I think God must laugh sometimes that people who deny His existence still use His name over any other.

@freespeechfreelancer I understand the Christian side but many of my posts are to try and see and bridge over to the side of the atheist...

While I agree that this is funny, it's probably just because phrases that include the word God have worked their way into our culture. I'm not really sure if it has anything to do with the existence of god.

Ithinktoomuchs avatar Ithinktoomuch Yeah You Are +1Reply

You do if you know people why worship different gods, or they have a different name other then 'god'.

Ryuus avatar Ryuu No Way 0Reply

Fact is that God surveils us so he is to blame if some misdeed happen

Anonymous