-1

Societal standards regarding values and behavior, as well as premises for judgment of others have shifted over the past century greatly to reflect the thinking and acting styles of teenagers through popular musical and social media influence. While on one end it is empowering to the youth, it also has the downside of discouraging acceptance of age and maturity among many. We should be more careful about how much we let kids influence society, amirite?

The scene of popular music is held mostly by popularized and famed teenagers or slightly older, collegiate-age people. This has made them the idols of society and made it seem like a bad thing to be mature, wise, and older. This, of course, is not ubiquitous, but is prominent to varying extents throughout (I can only really say American, since I don't know about elsewhere) culture. I don't think it's healthy to have a single age portrayed as the best- each has their own merits in balance with consequences, and each needs to be embraced without shame and denial. I think empowering teens is generally beneficial, but not when it makes people of all other ages attempt to emulate what they see in false idols, which is why we need to take less influence from social media and music stars.

Watchful_questioneers avatar Technology
0 8
The people are still deciding if Watchful_questioneer is right or wrong. Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Music and social media are not impacting the iron wall that has been erected around Capitol Hill. Special interest groups and lobbyists seem to have the most impact on what changes and controls our present society. Teen agers listening to music or posting their life stories on Facebook, Twitter, or wherever is not cause for changing anything. They may be valid outlets of expression, but CHANGE is brought about by ACTION. Since teenagers don't and can't vote yet, there is very little they can do to create real and lasting change.
That is not to say social media is not a very powerful tool to organize and reach out with. Those interested in making true changes must organize and reach as many as they can to unite and join whatever cause they are seeking. When the voice is LOUD enough, Washington listens. Sadly however, they listen MORE to dollar bills and how it will benefit THEM. In the end, they care more about preserving the empire they have built than they do those they are supposedly "serving."

@freespeechfreelancer Music and social media are not impacting the iron wall that has been erected around Capitol Hill. Special interest...

The kind of influence I'm talking about isn't political... social change is separate (not completely, but for the most part) from political. I'm completely lost as to why you brought the government into this, considering I'm talking about culture.

All I'm talking about is how people act, not how the country is run.

@Watchful_questioneer The kind of influence I'm talking about isn't political... social change is separate (not completely, but for the...

I thought your post opened with "societal standards." You made it sound like pop culture dictates the standards of a society. I introduced government and politics because they dictate far more than any pop culture. You only get by with what they ALLOW. And even then, when many people in a culture are against something (i.e. Obamacare), the MAN may or may not listen and make changes. In this instance, they are not willing to make a reversal.
Try telling your superiors via Facebook that you will now start drinking at age 15. Tell them your group has decided to vote. Tell them you are going to drive at age 13. Are these not societal standards? Has pop culture influenced or changed any of these things? Maybe I missed out on life or something.

@freespeechfreelancer I thought your post opened with "societal standards." You made it sound like pop culture dictates the standards of...

I later specified that by societal standards, I meant values, behavior, and judgment; the kinds of things within the constraints of law. I'm talking about the kinds of posts people make on facebook and twitter, and what music they listen to and what they judge as an okay way to act.

As a society, the government defines a line that we cannot cross in the form of laws. I'm talking about change that stays within those boundaries, leaving politics fairly uninvolved. Sure, societal standards includes political issues but those that I later specified tend to not interfere with law.

My post isn't about telling the government to make our changes for us, it's not their responsibility to dictate how we act and what we like. That's up to us, and that's how it is. So I fail to see what the government even has to do with this post.

In a way yes!!!

Times are a' changing! Just felt like saying that. Lol