-15

"Accidental Shootings" are proof that even the Courts and Government recognize that guns are not "always" bad. Amirite?

Did we ever actually get the full story or truth behind Dead Eye Dick's tale?

freespeechfreelancers avatar Jokes & Humour
0 16
The voters have decided that freespeechfreelancer is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Just because it wasn't on purpose doesn't mean they're good. If anything the fact that there are accidental shootings makes them worse

@Blue_eyed_reader Just because it wasn't on purpose doesn't mean they're good. If anything the fact that there are accidental...

It doesn't mean they are bad either OR that they should be taken away from everyone. Otherwise, ANYTHING that causes or is involved in an "accident" needs to be called bad and taken from us.

@freespeechfreelancer It doesn't mean they are bad either OR that they should be taken away from everyone. Otherwise, ANYTHING that...

Pretty much everything in the universe could potentially harm someone. Anything that makes it significantly easier and more likely for someone to get hurt - intentionally or otherwise - as its primary purpose should be controlled somehow.

@personThingy Pretty much everything in the universe could potentially harm someone. Anything that makes it significantly easier...

Wrong and NO! You want to focus on THINGS, when the real focus should be on PEOPLE. Guns do not kill - people who misuse them do. I cited cars because they cause far more accidents than accidental gun shootings. But you had a smart ass reply above for that. Cars are far easier to get and more likely to hurt people than guns - but you are too ignorant to realize that obvious point. And you also had to make a stupid remark about airplanes. Many people fly IN airplanes, and airplanes crash on accident all the time - killing everyone on board. But that too was too simple for your brain waves to comprehend.
So again based on your logic of "intentionally or otherwise" - all things that commonly and regularly cause or are involved in accidents should be banned or controlled. Let's start with food, because food regularly gets caught in people's throats and tries to strangle them. Since food is a potential killer and the people eating forget to chew their food properly and choke on it (an accident), food has to go. Liquid diets only from now on! And secondly, let's go after walking and running. People intentionally or otherwise TRIP while doing both and have accidents, so let's immediately control each and every person's steps. Walking and running are very likely to get people hurt.
Anyway, it is pointless explaining all this deep logic to a simpleton. You aren't going to get it no matter how I explain it, so it is wasted effort. Have a great time trying to control all those around you and their potential accidents.

@freespeechfreelancer Wrong and NO! You want to focus on THINGS, when the real focus should be on PEOPLE. Guns do not kill - people who...

You seem to have an obsession with writing large incoherent paragraphs instead of concise arguments, but I'll reply as well as I can.
1. Adding more insults into your comment doesn't help if your arguments are wrong.
2. How do we focus on people? Our society as it is doesn't encourage violence or recklessness, it just happens. Unless we find a way to brainwash everyone in the world, there will be violence. At the very least we can make it more difficult.
3. Yes, people fly on airplanes... willingly. If the plane crashes, they won't hurt anyone else. Only the pilot, or the person causing the accident (which could be anyone on the plane if there wasn't so much security) is putting other people in danger.
4. I have lived for almost 18 years (and for fuck's sake don't insult me for being younger than you or something) without guns. I couldn't have said the same for food. The risk of eating is minimal compared to the risk of not eating (and again, it only risks the person who is making the decision). The same applies for walking.
5. a) "Guns do not kill - people who misuse them do." Shooting someone with a gun is not misusing a gun; that's why guns were invented, to make it easier to kill people.
b) If by "misuse" you are referring to accidental shootings, then what is your proposed solution? (This isn't even an argument yet, I'm actually curious.)
6. None of this is deep logic. Basically anyone who could read your comment can understand the logical thought process you used (I won't even ask why you assumed I'm a simpleton based on two comments). The only problem with your logic is that it's wrong.

@1961036

Accidents are considered accidents for a reason. Ever heard of an automobile accident? How about an airplane accident? Or a choking on food accident? Bet you want to put restrictions and make it tougher to get all those items too huh?

@freespeechfreelancer Accidents are considered accidents for a reason. Ever heard of an automobile accident? How about an airplane...

I know. Imagine, if people suddenly couldn't own cars without having a license, or if you couldn't just go to the local airplane dealership and buy a plane to fly around. That would just be HORRIBLE!

@personThingy I know. Imagine, if people suddenly couldn't own cars without having a license, or if you couldn't just go to the...

As usual - another clueless comment which completely missed the point I made. You youngsters just don't get it.

@freespeechfreelancer As usual - another clueless comment which completely missed the point I made. You youngsters just don't get it.

Let me then try to redeem youth as a whole in your eyes- you meant that if we place restrictions on everything until there are no more accidents, we will be in over our heads in bubblewrap and constantly lose track of our licenses for even mundane acts.

I see your point in that, but gun accidents, the way it looks to me, are more preventable than automobile accidents and choking on food randomly. In addition, travel and consumption are more imperative than using guns, and before you bring up whether or not air travel is really necessary, it's the safest method of travel available so there isn't really any point in going there.

When there are preventable accidents in activities that aren't necessities, it's far more reasonable to place restrictions than when it is needed for almost anything nowadays, and when fault can be attributed to things like weather, civil planning, and other non-driver related circumstances. More education for drivers is a better path than restriction, while with guns education might not always help.

Another point I can see you making is that gun accidents may be just as unpreventable if they're due to carelessness, and no amount of restrictions will help past a point. The latter is true- it can't be carried out until there are no more silly accidents, but we must target the more preventable ones that are intended gun deaths- that's why restrictions are being called for, the way I see it.

@Watchful_questioneer Let me then try to redeem youth as a whole in your eyes- you meant that if we place restrictions on everything...

You did not redeem youth, you simply made a couple of good remarks. But you still missed the overall major point - and that being guns are essential for each and every free American citizen who wishes to own one. Just because there are a few accidents or a crazy psycho gets his/her hands on one and goes on a random crazed shooting spree, IS NOT a basis for taking away everyone's rights or freedoms. THAT is what the youth of today somehow just don't register. Somehow you all have swallowed the mantra that if person "A" screws up, we should automatically target, punish and restrict persons "B - Z"! That is nonsense. Accidental deaths occur by many instruments (knives, nail guns, falling off buildings, etc.) and we never ever assume that THINGS involved in accidents should somehow be eliminated. Babies die in cribs, but we have not viewed cribs as killers! It is ONLY when the topic is guns. Your schools are "gun free" zones, and all of you are sitting ducks for the next nut job who decides to pick your school for his encounter.
Since ANYTHING can be used in and involved in an accident, then it is only right that our government and law enforcement rule in some incidents that a shooting is accidental. Dick Cheney got off the hook and so have countless others. And if it was not a gun involved in a given accident, it would be something else. The only way to avoid accidents would be for all of us to be locked up in a box or cell and prevented from doing anything. Some of today's youth seem to give the impression that that would be a welcomed alternative.

@freespeechfreelancer You did not redeem youth, you simply made a couple of good remarks. But you still missed the overall major point -...

Okay, that helped- I honestly kind of dived into this randomly and wasn't entirely sure of what it was about (this post, that is, not the gun debate overall- I have some understanding of it).

The restrictions I believe in enforcing are just to have higher standards for who is allowed to own guns, based on sanity, mental stability, and who a person has ties to (if they're related to or friends with somebody who would not be trusted with a gun). putting guns in the hands of schools makes sense to me, but not giving every teacher a gun- that would be expensive overkill- just having a guard at a school ready (undercover, perhaps, with a regular job from which they would divert in an emergency). However, taking guns away from potential killers is also important. If we just give everyone guns, there will still be shootings but they will end more quickly. The people who do things like that don't honestly expect to come out alive, the way it looks to me. Their goal is to kill as many people as possible in a short time before they're shot, and it would be kind of hard to be prepared at all times to instantly shoot them down. It's easier to prevent them from getting guns in the first place by upping restrictions- forbidding close relatives from owning guns, and anybody they would closely know. It should be worked at from both sides. Those kinds of restrictions shouldn't affect people who are responsible enough to own guns and are not connected to any unstable minds (the only issue I see is responsible people pretending not to know any unstable people, which would be hard to work around, but would still be a help).

@Watchful_questioneer Okay, that helped- I honestly kind of dived into this randomly and wasn't entirely sure of what it was about (this...

If crime COULD be prevented, then there wouldn't be any now would there? ALL crime is a result of people somehow figuring ways around the system and getting through the cracks. Every single thing that is illegal now, is being done by groups of people who refuse to take "no" for an answer. Laws don't regulate or change people's minds or hearts. If people are hell bent on doing evil, they will figure out how to do evil period. Identity theft is "illegal," and yet it is at an all time high. Hacking in to other's computers is "illegal," and yet it happens continuously. Prostitution is "illegal," but women are making attractive salaries by selling their bodies. Drug abuse and addiction is "illegal," but it is a far far greater problem than the gun issue. LAWS and more LAWS is not the answer. Every time a new law is passed, we the people lose a little more of our freedom and make the government or state responsible to oversee and keep us in check. That is NOT my vision of America or how America is supposed to work.
As for schools and theatres, since they are gun free zones, every crazy and loon already KNOWS that. They are perfect targets for maximizing damage in a very short time period. By going where nobody has guns, they can shoot at will until somebody with a gun shows up to threaten them. Most of these nut jobs end up killing themselves when the law shows up, and I have always personally felt a sense of relief when they do. If they stay alive and we capture them, we let them sit in a jail cell, and the families of the deceased and the taxpayers have to carry the burden indefinitely. That is adding insult to injury.
Many of the psychos that do the mass shootings have a history of trouble or mental instability. So why are they on the streets? Have you ever noticed that when a drunk driver kills others they discover that he generally has a track record and history of offenses? Again, why are they on the streets? Most people don't stop their lifestyle or behavior JUST by receiving a probation or fine.
The bottom line is - our system is broken, and nobody seems to be willing to address and/or fix it. I personally believe the system is overwhelmed and doesn't have any idea WHAT to do. All of my life I have witnessed first hand broken systems, and if you ask about it, you get the typical "well that is the way it has always been done" reply. CHANGE is not something most are willing to consider or entertain. But when something is clearly BROKEN, then change or starting over is necessary. Operating under stupid laws that don't work and are never going to work is pointless.
Finally, guns, in and of themselves are NOT EVIL! Lay a loaded gun on a table, walk away from it, and it will never ever kill anyone. Put it in the hands of responsible owners, and it serves a good purpose. Put it in the hands of a crazed wacko, and it becomes a weapon of something bad.
Go after the bad guys and restrict them all day long. Do your best to make it impossible for them to get guns, BUT do not go after all law abiding responsible American citizens because of the faults of the few. If you don't want a detention in school for what your classmate does, then why should I receive a detention in society for what an irresponsible citizen did? That logic is illogical.

@freespeechfreelancer If crime COULD be prevented, then there wouldn't be any now would there? ALL crime is a result of people somehow...

I never said guns are evil, they are simply must easier to change than people who abuse them. As I (think I) said before, we can either change people, or not let them get guns- if our system is broken, what's your solution? I don't see a third.

We can't change people because psychopaths tend to be unpredictable and spontaneous- you never know who is less sane than they look. So, we have to come up with some way to prevent people like that from getting guns.

My solution, again, which you seemed to not really consider, is to up restrictions on getting a license so that people related to or friends with people deemed unstable couldn't get guns. I do not propose taking everybody's guns away- it seems you got the wrong idea and think I want the government to confiscate every gun in the country- no. Just the ones that notably irresponsible (criminal- in a violent way, mentally unstable, troubled, etc.). Does that really sound so bad to you?