+48

No one should ever be treated "equally" to do so is to diminish people's individual needs, you should treat them with justice. It's the same as saying you either have to give the special needs child as little help as the advanced child, or the advanced child as much help and support as the special needs child. This goes the same for maternity and paternity leave. As male I'm not housing a 6 pound person inside of me, so I don't feel I need as much time off as my unfortunate wife. Justice, not equality. AmIrite?

Sehps avatar People & Celebrities
3 19
The voters have decided that Sehp is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I don't think that is what is meant by equality

equality is allowing all adults to vote
it's treating all with respect and kindness, etc

@1967484

To be fair, you couldn't make the 5 ft 0, 100lb girl to lift the same amount as the 6 ft, 300lb man. You couldn't give a 6 ft tall person a 5 inch stool to see over a wall that's 5 ft 10 inches and also give the 5 ft 4 person a 5 inch stool to see over the 5 ft 10 wall. To be equal, you can't give everyone the same thing, you need to cater to their specific needs to put them in the state.

@1967535

Yes opportunity not requirements.

@Frank_n_Furter To be fair, you couldn't make the 5 ft 0, 100lb girl to lift the same amount as the 6 ft, 300lb man. You couldn't...

Not cater to their "needs" cater to their "wants". The problem occurs when we try to guess their "needs" Maybe the short person doesn't want to see over the wall?

@VicZinc Not cater to their "needs" cater to their "wants". The problem occurs when we try to guess their "needs" Maybe...

It's not optional, everyone is required to look over the wall. Everyone needs to see where the zombies are or something.

Why can't we just accept people are different, have different needs and desires and are therefore not equal

Sehps avatar Sehp Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Sehp Why can't we just accept people are different, have different needs and desires and are therefore not equal

We can accept that. However to identify those differences we would need to judge them.

Everybody is differently abled. The effort needed to say "oh, Johnny needs 90% more help with throwing a ball, 25% less help with math, 65% more help with spelling, 15% less help with social skills, 80% more help with relating to animals, etc. etc." is wasted effort. I mean seriously? What are you going to do, pick out the one attribute that stands out most in your mind and give Johnny extra help there and ignore all the infinite ways in which Johnny could flourish if given extra help in those areas instead?

Let's say Suesie needs extra help with spelling, should we concentrate on that? If instead we had nourished her affinity for acting out she might have become the next oscar winning actress. How can we, as mere mortals know?

We cannot, we cannot judge, we are human and any attempt to judge each other is surely folly. It will seldom lead to the results we, with best intentions, hope to achieve.

a balance must be met and as every child is differant that balance will differ for each to think that love and repect alone will do show a lack of experience

I see what you mean, but equality is moreso applied to basic rights I guess.

Nope.
justice requires judgement
and thou shall not judge.

Equality is the only fair way to treat people.
So stop calling anyone "special"
instead treat them like the equals that they are

@VicZinc Nope. justice requires judgement and thou shall not judge. Equality is the only fair way to treat people...

You don't give everyone a 6 inch stool and call it justice, some people are still left taller than the rest. Equality is giving everyone the same size stool.

@Frank_n_Furter You don't give everyone a 6 inch stool and call it justice, some people are still left taller than the rest...

The point is you (or anyone else) doesn't get to decide who gets what chair base on their size or shape. Yes people should have the right to chose but saying short people get short stools and tall people get tall stools?

@VicZinc The point is you (or anyone else) doesn't get to decide who gets what chair base on their size or shape. Yes...

No, it would be the short people get the tall stools so that they can see equally as well. Ex: a 5ft 4 person getting a 6 inch stool, a 5 ft 2 person getting an 8 inch stool, a 5 ft 0 person getting a 10 inch stool.

@Frank_n_Furter No, it would be the short people get the tall stools so that they can see equally as well. Ex: a 5ft 4 person...

I don't know. Equality is having a variety of stools available and letting everyone choose the stool they want.
Not forcing them to "be equal" but letting them choose what makes them happy.
Not saying "well you're already good at maths so I'll teach you spelling." but saying what do you want to learn and I'll teach you that.
Maybe I am proud to be a bad speller or I want a tall stool or I like having short hair. Don't make me change to the whim of the law, let me be equal on my own terms.

@VicZinc I don't know. Equality is having a variety of stools available and letting everyone choose the stool they want...

Not everyone is going to be able to get a stool that makes them happy, the purpose of fairly heighted stools isn't to make people happy, it's to prevent people from being unhappy bexause they can't see over tall people's heads.