+33

You cannot have both freedom (as proposed in the U.S.) and equal representation of all peoples (perticularly religious and non religious) on the same "ship". There will continually be disagreement and political strife. Amirite?

Kumquats avatar Law
0 6
The voters have decided that Kumquat is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Thinking about this for a while now. I guess, because everyone is different, you cannot truly have equal representation without full participation. However with fair elections you can approximate fair representation.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are +1Reply
@VicZinc Thinking about this for a while now. I guess, because everyone is different, you cannot truly have equal...

We could get pretty close to equal representation but someone's always going to complain a about swearing or not swearing on the bible in court, god being or not being on our money and in our pledge, prayer in schools, etc.

Besides religion, there are many issues such as gun control. "what do you need anything besides a hunting rifle or maybe a hand gun for?" Response is "it's my freedom and right to own any fire arm" well freedom doesn't equal the best way of doing things. But it's still a freedom people will not let go of without a fight.

Then there are gay rights issues. Just because so many people are dead set on a narrow definition of marriage, or they are afraid of the gay man next door somehow "turning" their child gay, they insist on having anti gay laws permeate the system like that's going to make all the gay peoples disappear just because they can't be married.

But i'm ranting...let's just live and let die already...

Kumquats avatar Kumquat Yeah You Are +1Reply

At least you know we're on a ship

mostwanteds avatar mostwanted Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1985327

You're right i just mentioned the religious/non religious divide in my post because it was what was on my mind. Main point is you can't always have equal representation. Many things either go one way or the other and people can't seem to live with an outcome these days with complaining and raving and suing because it didn't go their way. I mean, sometimes it can be called for but a lot of times it's not.

Kumquats avatar Kumquat Yeah You Are 0Reply

No one who lives in a society has total freedom.