+122

A sincere apology is straightforward. There are no excuses in a sincere apology like "I'm sorry, but you made me mad." A sincere apology keeps things simple and just says "Hey, I'm sorry for hurting you." Amirite?

fuzalas avatar Jokes & Humour
5 16
The voters have decided that fuzala is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

In other words
when apologizing sincerely
one doesn't try to justify the pain he/she caused

they know it was wrong to cause pain
and they make no excuses for their wrongdoing

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are +2Reply
@fuzala In other words when apologizing sincerely one doesn't try to justify the pain he/she caused they know it was wrong...

I had a wise mentor once who always tried to avoid using two words: "but" and "them".
I find it very difficult to do and this post/comment just reminded me of him and his reasoning behind it. I am going to try again, for similar reasons.

But almost always precedes an excuse, and them is almost always implies that we thing we are better.

He said you can almost always substitute
"and" for "but"
and
"us" for "them"

Thanks for the reminder.

@VicZinc I had a wise mentor once who always tried to avoid using two words: "but" and "them". I find it very difficult...

well you made a post about eliminating the word they

and they doesn't imply better than
it's only if you wanna take it that way

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are +1Reply

I love it when I get an apology for something, then the offender does the exact same thing again. Obviously, you're not sorry at all and are just exercising your lips if you apologize and then just repeat whatever action you "apologized" for.

TonyHs avatar TonyH Yeah You Are +2Reply

You can't just apologize for hurting someone's feelings! That makes the assumption that the person's feelings are justified, and that's not always the case. I don't necessarily like to apologize for the way I acted, but rather for causing the other person some sort of hurt. I tend not to do stuff that I regret or find unreasonable. If that's the case, I will certainly apologize for hurting the other person and provide reasons for why I did it, but I don't like apologizing with no qualifiers/explanations, especially if I stand by how I acted.

What I'm trying to say is that this is a generalization, and generalizations are false. Even that one, though I have yet to find the exception.

OH YEAH
this one's my favorite

"I'm sorry I beat you up. You MADE me do it!"

Agreed, however the apologizer often has something they need to get off their chest too. When they explain this after apologizing the apologizee needs to understand and not read it as an excuse for their behavior.

Kumquats avatar Kumquat Yeah You Are +2Reply

As soon as that 'but' comes out, it totally negates the apology.

SugarSkulls avatar SugarSkull Yeah You Are +1Reply

Hey, I'm am sorry you feel this way.

@VicZinc Hey, I'm am sorry you feel this way.

That's an awful apology! Hey, I'm sorry that you're at fault. Sorry I made you feel this way at least accepts partial blame

Wunderscores avatar Wunderscore Yeah You Are +2Reply

Then then other person's like "sorry for what?"

JohnJillkys avatar JohnJillky Yeah You Are 0Reply