+80

When religion is chosen FOR you and forced upon you, that is hardly the same or comparable to the freedom of choice to choose ANY religion you desire. Amirite?

When ANY and ALL people have the absolute freedom to choose which religion they want to follow for themselves, then and only then, is religious freedom a reality. As long as some religions FORCE themselves and their teachings upon others, and do not allow the people to choose which parts of the religion they will follow or practice, then there is no freedom.

freespeechfreelancers avatar Religion
1 18
The voters have decided that freespeechfreelancer is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

No, for two reasons.

1. You can chose to not follow the religion you were born with.
2. Religion isn't required for freedom here.

@Microsanic No, for two reasons. 1. You can chose to not follow the religion you were born with. 2. Religion isn't required...

Some religions don't allow their "followers" to leave or choose something different. If they do, they are threatened with death. I won't name any names - you can look them up yourself. So those people can NOT choose to follow another religion other than the one they were born with.
And I did not say religion was required FOR freedom, but freedom is required to have meaningful religion of choice.

I disagree with the first point. Plenty do truly choose the religion their parents were in. However, that is an extremely small percentage of kids with religious parents IMO.

JohnJillkys avatar JohnJillky Yeah You Are 0Reply

How is that different from anything else? This could literally be said about any choice.

@1984212

..but forcing someone to wear a certain kind of shoes isn't the same as choosing those shoes

I feel like that's Similair to having your child pick one sports team, and telling them every other team isn't real. YOU'RE WATCHING FANTASY FOOTBALL YOU KNOB. let them go for whatever imaginary team they want to

@1982999

A very small percentage truly isn't indoctrination.

@1983013

Yeah possibly.

Freespeech, I'm curious. Describe your religious background to me.

Yes, both compulsory religious practice and deprivation of practice are examples of infringement on religious freedom. That said... not being able to compel others to practice your religion is not the same as being deprived of right to practice your religion. It seems a common misunderstanding of "religious freedom." Goes hand in hand with "the liberty to swing my fist ends where your nose begins" and all that jazz.

ForkNdaRoads avatar ForkNdaRoad Yeah You Are 0Reply