+5

"When I use a smiley at the end of a sentence, do I add the period (full-stop) BEFORE the smiley? Or do I add it AFTER the smiley? It always bothers me especially when I have to begin another sentence after it...." This is a serious concern for those who care about grammar, amirite?

perryakis avatar Language
1 6
The voters have decided that perryaki is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Smileys and formal grammar (the only time grammar actually matters) never coincide imo. So it's no serious concern to me maniac smilie. maniac smilie

The "Princeton" method requires both, e.g.,
This is basic English.wt smilie.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are 0Reply

Emojis and things of that nature have no place in formal writing. If I use one, I usually just don't put punctuation at the the end of the sentence at all.

It's not really a serious concern. I just use the smiley as punctuation, whether it's grammatically correct or not.

I said its a serious concern for those who care about grammar. You clearly don't.

@perryaki I said its a serious concern for those who care about grammar. You clearly don't.

I do care about grammar, and as a person who cares about grammar, I don't see that as a serious concern d smilie

Anonymous