+17

When Jesus said to help the poor, spending a lifetime on benefits/was probably not what he meant. And when Jesus said care for widows, he probably didn't think there'd be single women deliberately getting pregnant to go onto single parent payments. We've taken His words(whether fictional or not) and completely twisted them, amirite?

TheFriendlyRapists avatar Law
0 27
The voters have decided that TheFriendlyRapist is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

IMO Jesus was not speaking to Rome.
Jesus, in my understanding, was speaking to individuals and groups of his followers. Jesus knew that when caring for and helping others as individuals, it is obvious who are the truly needy and who are beggers by choice.

If Rome had taken its tribute and tax, then tried to distribute aid to the needy all throughout its vast empire, the same thing that is happening now to us, would have happened then.
Caring for the poor and needy should come from our compassion, not from our government. Anyone who has lived in a small town has seen first hand the generosity of people. Anyone who has been in a natural disaster has seen first hand the sence of community that wells up to help the victims. We are have tried to do the right thing, but in the wrong way.

Davers avatar Daver Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Daver IMO Jesus was not speaking to Rome. Jesus, in my understanding, was speaking to individuals and groups of his...

My favorite part of the Bible is when Jesus gives money to the rich, tells the poor to suck it up, then asks for Caesar's birth certificate

@My favorite part of the Bible is when Jesus gives money to the rich, tells the poor to suck it up, then asks for...

Yeah, like when he says, "give unto Caesar that which is Caesar's." But the religious conservatives are against taxes. And what about that part of the rich man, the needle, and a camel? Oh I remember, it's "it's easier for a needle to pass through the eye of a rich camel, than for a man to enter heaven." Wait no that's wrong.

Maelthuss avatar Maelthus Yeah You Are +1Reply

Factually, we dont know what Jesus said , or if he really existed. The gospels were written 100 years or more after the time he was purported to have lived by people who never knew him. 2000 plus years later, a lot of knowledge and experience have given us the tools to make better choices today without reference to Jesus.

No one knows they spend way too much time interpreting things based upon their own biases and opinions. I think he would say worry about yourself and how much good you can do in the world as it is not your business to assume anything about anyone

JohnTs avatar JohnT No Way +1Reply

I agree that the words of Jesus have been twisted, but not in the way you suggest. The 'Jesus story' makes it clear that we are to eschew (give up, forget, abandon) private ownership. If/when we stop acting like "this stuff is mine and that stuff is yours" and instead act cooperatively, sharing all resources and labors equally and freely among each other then-and-only-then will the situation you decry cease.
I am not saying we should, and I am not even suggesting that it would ever work, what I am saying is THAT is what Jesus would have, and did, suggest. "Give up worldly possessions" is a recurring theme in the story, Jesus was a socialist, period. Jesus would live in a commune working the soil next to his fellow's and sharing in the produce at the dinner table. He would not own a home, a car, an IPhone or a darn thing. He would not even own a cloak and would gladly give the cloak off his back to the first person who looked cold.

I think he would. He asked us not to judge. According to my understanding he would just help everybody and sort them out later. Sowing on both good and rocky soil.

@VicZinc I think he would. He asked us not to judge. According to my understanding he would just help everybody and sort...

If you believe that Jesus was the son of God, then he could surely have seen into the hearts of men. Government programs to help the needy have no such insight. Therein lies the problem with governments administering aid.

Davers avatar Daver Yeah You Are -1Reply
@1986997

Yes!! Indeed he did.

Ilikemes avatar Ilikeme Yeah You Are 0Reply

"Hand up, not a hand out" sort of thing?

@BetterThanEzra1119 "Hand up, not a hand out" sort of thing?

Give a starving man a hammer and tell him to start a construction business so he can earn money and buy some food for his kids.

Because the bible also sais....if you don't work, you don't eat.

@Ilikeme Because the bible also sais....if you don't work, you don't eat.

Not really.
It say the one who is "unwilling" to work
shall not eat.
Big difference between "willing" and "able"

Despite what you hear in conservative news outlets
very,very few (like .1%)
of people on welfare
are "unwilling" to work
they are all "willing" to work
but are "unable" to keep a job because
they do not understand
the standards of work ethic
and employers are inflexible with that ethic

@VicZinc Not really. It say the one who is "unwilling" to work shall not eat. Big difference between "willing" and...

Yes indeed. Same definition, correct.
I never stated that everyone on welfare or state assistance is unwilling to work.
Its a general fact that it is these types who are abhorrent.

Ilikemes avatar Ilikeme Yeah You Are -1Reply

2 Thessalonians 3:10

As a matter of fact, I don't ever remember reading anything about retirement, but then I never made it a study.

First off I don't believe that Jesus actually existed, but the teachings in the bible, say, sell all that you own and give to the poor. Hate to tell this to you, but jesus, if he existed, was a commie.

Maelthuss avatar Maelthus Yeah You Are 0Reply

We should be willing to help those in need anytime and anyplace. But it is not so virtuous to coerce or be coerced into helping. It should be voluntary to be Christlike.

FeedFwds avatar FeedFwd Yeah You Are 0Reply
@FeedFwd We should be willing to help those in need anytime and anyplace. But it is not so virtuous to coerce or be coerced...

Therefore, no "christian" should feel coerced by taxes, they should all gladly share all they have to those in need.

@VicZinc Therefore, no "christian" should feel coerced by taxes, they should all gladly share all they have to those in need.

No... Taxes are coercion. Government is force. They should cheerily pay their taxes.... Give unto Caesar and all... but that is neither virtuous nor charitable.

They should give besides their taxes even more happily to charity to help the needy. They can also give of their property, time, talents and other resources to help the needy. Of course nobody is perfectly Christlike. What people should do and actually do are sometimes different. But taxes are not the ideal way to help the needy. In our cases, half of government spending is from borrowing instead of taxes. And the government is woefully inefficient at helping the needy. More often than not, it is the government employees who help themselves more than the needy.

There is also the issue of eating the seed corn. It may be that an industrious person can leverage his wealth into even more wealth so that he can help even more people. Whether he will or not is not possible to know. But if the government strips him of his wealth and resources, he will be less able to help others and may end up even unable to help himself.

It is not easy to be a Christian. Even harder if you are a wealthy Christian. As we know it is harder for the rich man to gain the keys to heaven than a camel to pass through the eye of a needle....

If you are actually helping the poor you need to also help them get out of that messed up thinking as well.

Who would get pregnant for benefits? Its soo not worth it.

@TomboyJanet Who would get pregnant for benefits? Its soo not worth it.

There are women out there with no skills and no hope who are willing to sell themselves in one fashion or another for money. I doubt there are many, if any, who would get pregnant solely for benefits. But some might avoid getting pregnant if not for the benefits. I really care less about the parents of a kid than the kid, himself, when it comes to having kids for the wrong reasons or without the wherewithal to raise the kid.