+23

Toys are toys, and bedding is bedding and should not be assigned gender, AMIRITE?

A toy is a toy, it should not be assigned gender. Boy toys and girl toys is a silly and outdated notion. A boy playing with a doll is still a boy and vice versa and adult bedding isn't labeled male and female so why should it be labeled that way for children?

shaugnesseys avatar Politics
2 56
The voters have decided that shaugnessey is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.
@2063083

That's because there were less homosexuals being produced back in the 60s and 70s.

Now days it's a coin toss on whether or not your son is going to be born with a limp wrist.

@2063105

Sorry, but it's true.

@2063110

Yes, it is.

Humidity and a lack of air circulation can cause mold.

@2063066

How this trolling? You didnt have to answer, and there is nothing hateful in this poll.

shaugnesseys avatar shaugnessey Yeah You Are +3Reply

Parents can buy whatever they want based on gender. If a mom wants to buy Barbie dolls for her daughter and trucks for her son, she has the right. If a mother wants to buy her daughter a truck or dinosaur toy, then that's cool too. However, just because society is changing doesn't mean businesses are obligated to make all their products unisex.

cali93s avatar cali93 No Way +2Reply
@cali93 Parents can buy whatever they want based on gender. If a mom wants to buy Barbie dolls for her daughter and trucks...

I agree that parents should buy what they want for their child. After all, they're the ones with the money. But I definitely don't see the need for a girl toy aisle or a boy toy aisle.

I also propose that all toys be replaced with Legos as they teach children how to follow instructions and solve puzzles (when building the original set) and how to be creative (when you finally combine all of your sets together for some massive invention).

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +3Reply
@2064236

My room was a mine field as a kid.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +1Reply
@StickCaveman I agree that parents should buy what they want for their child. After all, they're the ones with the money. But I...

You may not see a need for a girl toy aisle or a boy toy aisle - fine and dandy. Are you going to throw a fit if they provide a girl toy aisle or a boy toy aisle anyway?

And while I have no issue with your fondness of Legos, It would piss me off greatly if I were forced to do the same.

Just because a truck is labeled a truck and not a truck for boys doesnt make it unisex.

shaugnesseys avatar shaugnessey Yeah You Are +2Reply
@shaugnessey Just because a truck is labeled a truck and not a truck for boys doesnt make it unisex.

Usually toy trucks and trains are labeled for boys not particularly for girls. If you wanna buy your daughter the latest Hot Wheels toy or Nerf gun, go ahead, but forcing companies to change their gender labeled toys seems irrelevant.

@Budwick Isn't that what you meant?

No, it's not. I apologize for not being more clear. I am speaking about the uproar of Target stores deciding to remove "boy" and "girl" from aisle signs in their stores for the toy, bedding and entertainment sections.

@shaugnessey No, it's not. I apologize for not being more clear. I am speaking about the uproar of Target stores deciding to...

I've missed 'the uproar'.

So, Target made this decision, and who is in an uproar? Customers? Vendors?

Customers have a right to bitch if it's them. It's not the first bad decision Target has made.

@Budwick I've missed 'the uproar'. So, Target made this decision, and who is in an uproar? Customers? Vendors?...

Customers do have a right to bitch. But why? Why is this a "bad decision"? You, yourself just said toys do not have a gender, nor should they have gender assignment, so why is removing a few signs a bad decision?

shaugnesseys avatar shaugnessey Yeah You Are +1Reply
@shaugnessey Customers do have a right to bitch. But why? Why is this a "bad decision"? You, yourself just said toys do not...

Well, in this case; because it's pissing off their customers! The people that buy stuff from them - Target's livelihood.

@Budwick Well, in this case; because it's pissing off their customers! The people that buy stuff from them - Target's...

It was actually customers who complained about the signs which lead to them making the decision. Of course, half of their customers still think otherwise. I think it's a good move on Target's behalf because I feel that most of society will eventually realize that labeling things for boys or girls just isn't really necessary.

I mean if it were an extreme case where they took down the men and women's sign from the clothing section, would you not know which clothes to shop for? Doubtful. Parents can still buy Hot Wheels for their boys and Barbies for their girls.

@StickCaveman It was actually customers who complained about the signs which lead to them making the decision. Of course...

Ya gotta wonder about the stability of people getting upset over signs indicating where to find various products. Probably should consider getting a PC adjustment.

The PC'ers of the world need to get their undies pulled from between their butt cheeks and stop with all the "Shoulds" and "Should Nots". Unlike people, toys and bedding do not have a gender, I don't even know how one would 'assign' a gender to these things. No one knows their kids better than the parents - THEY can choose what to get for their kids. They really don't require your help.

@Budwick The PC'ers of the world need to get their undies pulled from between their butt cheeks and stop with all the...

Exactly, how do you assign gender to these things? So labels like "girl bedding" and "boy bedding" are not needed, we are smart enough to figure it out.

Sounds to me like you agree with me, I think you clicked the wrong link.

@shaugnessey Exactly, how do you assign gender to these things? So labels like "girl bedding" and "boy bedding" are not needed...

I understand what you are saying, but I don't think I clicked the wrong thingy. Manufacturers can package and promote their products how they choose. That gets to the the wording of your post "... should not be assigned gender ...) If they're selling sheets with a boy or girl on the package - so what? Same with toys.

And, if Mr & Mrs Johnson want to buy a big old Tonka Truck for their daughter - fine! But I jump off your bus as soon as you start telling the manufacturer to stop picturing a boy on the package or in the ads. It's their business - not yours or mine.

@shaugnessey I never said anything about the manufacturer, that was your assumption.

OK, straighten me out then, who is assigning gender? Who are you trying to stop?

I guess you've got a point there. I had to change my vote and think about it. People don't make such a fuss over little girls playing with boys toys such as Transformers and toy trucks, but when the little boy wants to play with a Barbie doll, there's suddenly a problem. It's crazy.

Damis avatar Dami Yeah You Are +2Reply
@2062972

How am I telling you how to raise your children?

@2062982

Yes, if you say "that's for girls" or "that's for boys" it is your choice to say that. And if you look like an archaic ass, that is your choice as well.

However, my son should be able to shop for a doll or an easy bake oven with out his senses being overloaded with "pink" and aisles that claim it is the girl section. He should also be able to look at those things without being ridiculed or questioned, especially by adults.

@2063034

I per say does not, but society does. It would be great if that changed.

@2063096

Yes, you are correct, I did. And while I do not feel pink or blue designates gender, children are taught from a very young age that it does. And so my son sees a pink aisle and is leery to explore. More so now than when he was younger.

Thanks for the comments, they, I feel were spot on.

shaugnesseys avatar shaugnessey Yeah You Are +5Reply
@shaugnessey Yes, if you say "that's for girls" or "that's for boys" it is your choice to say that. And if you look like an...

Maybe it's your son with the problem if he is overwhelmed by colors. (Where could he possibly be getting that from?

@Budwick I see, my choice makes me an archaic ass. Is that the liberal tolerance in you?

Nope. Who said I was.liberal or tolerant. Certainly not me. It's my opinion, doesnt mean it is right.

@shaugnessey Nope. Who said I was.liberal or tolerant. Certainly not me. It's my opinion, doesnt mean it is right.

So, it's not the liberal tolerance in you?

(I know, who said you were not a liberal or intolerant?) But by all means, avoid answering the question that totally exposes your liberal intolerance!

@Budwick So, it's not the liberal tolerance in you? (I know, who said you were not a liberal or intolerant?) But by...

Again, I never claimed to be tolerant, so your argument is invalid. I am human. I sometime judge, though I.try not to..I am impatient and often not very tolerant at all.

Oh and see above. I did answer your question. You asked "is that the liberal tolerance in you" and I answered "nope". So I am not sure how I "avoided answering the question".

why doesn't Target just put everything in a big pile in the middle of the floor?

Idk what people don't understand about those types of stuff. They are objects; they have no chromosomes.

Yami_no_KoHimes avatar Yami_no_KoHime Yeah You Are 0Reply

Idk what people don't understand about those types of stuff. They are objects; they have no chromosomes. Didn't know bedding came in genders though o.o

no

Boys shouldn't play with girl toys! Boys who play with girl toys wind up talking like Truman Capote and throwing a ball like Obama.

Anonymous