+348

you wonder why it is that British and American tourists abroad speak to the locals first in fast english like they would at home, and then when the locals don't understand, the british or american tourist believes the best way to remedy the situation is to simply speak LOUDER AND SLOWER....as if that will magically give the local people an English language ability, amirite?

TommyUK1234s avatar Countries & Places
1 9
The voters have decided that TommyUK1234 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Sorry, you're wrong. There are loads of British people in Spain in summer and they all know some Spanish. All of them.

Spains avatar Spain No Way +1Reply
@Sadie You can't speak for every single tourist in a foreign countries.

I said what British people visiting Spain do, the OP said what he thinks all American and British tourists do, he's wrong, not all of them do that.

Spains avatar Spain No Way 0Reply
@Spain I said what British people visiting Spain do, the OP said what he thinks all American and British tourists do, he's...

I should have written my comment better and made it more specific. I meant that you can't speak for every English tourist in Spain. I'm certain there are some that can't speak Spanish when they visit.

Sadies avatar Sadie Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Spain Yeah, well, not all of them, but many of them.

I went to the Costa del Sol, tried to speak spanish to a shopkeeper, who replied in a cockney accent "Eh, don't you speak English?". There are so many poms in spain that tourists like I that actually do try to use the language can't.

Because when you ENUNCIATE, people understand better.

@Because when you ENUNCIATE, people understand better.

i think you have missed the point somewhat - the point is that it's when the locals DON'T SPEAK ANY ENGLISH that this still occurs, how does a volume increase and a speed decrease help? you might not speak swahili but if i shout it slowly at you will you undersstand me? if i enunciate my korean at you will you understand me?

TommyUK1234s avatar TommyUK1234 Yeah You Are 0Reply

i think it make sense if you don't know the language and have some reason to think they might - after all if i can't understand someone speaking a language i only sorta know, having them slow down helps me understand it