+36

It doesn't make any sense to ridicule someone for their past when they've changed for the better. To ridicule their past is petty and could potentially discourage other people from changing their ways. Why would you change if you're not going to be accepted either way? Amirite?

StickCavemans avatar People & Celebrities
3 45
The voters have decided that StickCaveman is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I know that "virtue is its own reward". That being said, encouragement really helps ... I'd rather build than tear down.

JanHaskells avatar JanHaskell Yeah You Are +10Reply
@2098234

Well poo looks like I am owned by a lot today. frown smilie

@2097014

I wasn't really focusing on the reason they changed--whether it was because of other people or they just saw their way of thinking was wrong. My focus was on the way some people ridicule others for their past.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +1Reply
@2097865

Yeah, I should have worded that differently.

Because the change I want to undergo, is for myself and not for people.

Mizolas avatar Mizola No Way +4Reply

You asked - "Why would you change if you're not going to be accepted either way?"

Well, if someone is a dick, they could change to not being a dick, so they're no longer a dick! Being dick-less is a reward of it's own. I don't need the affirmation of others to motivate me to be dick-less.

[Yes, I said dick-less. I know, it's very funny.]

@Budwick You asked - "Why would you change if you're not going to be accepted either way?" Well, if someone is a dick, they...

Of course you don't need the affermation of others to do anything. I just feel like from the perspective of the ones who want someone else to change, it's advantageous to praise them for how they've changed rather than bringing up the past and ridicule them for something they used to believe. The news media seems to enjoy doing this with celebrities these days.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are 0Reply
@StickCaveman Of course you don't need the affermation of others to do anything. I just feel like from the perspective of the...

Just trying to converse - I promise I'm not trying to argue -

But maybe the media shouldn't be in the business of trying to change people. I mean, they've had this social engineering project going for decades now, trying to steer society one way and another through biased reporting.

Reality TV provides a stage for the most revolting behavior imaginable. Young people see it and try to emulate it.

It's not entirely the fault of the media though. There must be plenty of people watching to support the programming I suppose.

Ever watched a program called "The Soup"? They play clips of real programs that aired the previous week. It's un-phucking believable - the crap that's on TV.

@Budwick Just trying to converse - I promise I'm not trying to argue - But maybe the media shouldn't be in the business of...

100% agree. I think I've heard of it but never watched it. Glad I haven't.

I do like some local news, mostly for the weather forecast. And I do think it's good to get just the basic information of what's going on in the world. But as soon as they start having interviews or saying things like, "Find out about this thing that could kill you tonight at 11!" That's when I turn off the TV.

@StickCaveman 100% agree. I think I've heard of it but never watched it. Glad I haven't. I do like some local news, mostly for...

Wow! You are sooooo, right!

Have you ever wondered how many make a point of tuning in to get the answer to those 'teaser' questions? I bet it's close to zero.

we all have a past history.

Oh I get ridiculed for mine all the time. I have friends & family that cannot seem to let go of the fact that I was an alcoholic plus some other things. I have been sober for 7 months now & at least four times a month I get to hear about it. To hear them talk I am the Antichrist. I have days where it really bothers me because I am like why do I bother, it is how people see me & then days where I am like screw them because I have changed & I am a better person now.

@2097619

Aww thanks. It hasn't been easy but I have been thankful for those that have entered my life & are there to talk to when I need it the most.

l smiliebiggrin smilie

@2097630

Thanks biggrin smilie. I do hope that others can take something from it. I have faced this battle before & did good for 5 years & relapsed but this time I am determined not to do that again.

I have lost a lot of my close friends over it because they love to drink. I am currently avoiding places that serve it. I didn't watch the first game of the season with my best friend because he drinks a lot. I just don't need the temptation.

@2097649

I am glad they were able to find their way. :)

@2099665

I will keep your friend in my thoughts. Yes one day at a time. Some days are easier than others.

@2099688

Thank You. :) That is normal. I know I wouldn't either.