+28

It's good for people to have an anonymous voice. I read about a study once about an online class where everyone was anonymous to their classmates. There was much more participation out of everyone and more creativity in brainstorming events because nobody was afraid of what the others would think about them. Anonymous voices can be a productive thing, amirite?

StickCavemans avatar Internet & Apps
8 131
The voters have decided that StickCaveman is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I think more people vote because they can do so anonymously. Imagine if people were forced to have their photo taken next to their voting slip then have it published? I would have voted the way my parents did, just to avoid the violence at home.

OzSurfers avatar OzSurfer Yeah You Are +9Reply
@2339332

But the thing is Rogue...that feature has been disabled...now Anons can't even upvote and uplove their Commentors. So much for discussion.

@StickCaveman Then we should allow anonymous commentors again.

No! If there are 20 Anon posters who knows which ANon it is...think of the confusion...and if you respond to someone who is ANON...how would you know the same Anon is responding....

The feature is meant for a reason but it is being misused. Just makin' people aware.

@Sukiesnow No! If there are 20 Anon posters who knows which ANon it is...think of the confusion...and if you respond to...

Then wouldn't that be motivation for someone not to comment as Anonymous? Does it really matter which anon it is? A debate is a debate. Doesn't matter who it's with.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +1Reply

I think whatever people say should be OK as long as it's not against the rules. Does it really matter who anonymously or not anonymously says it? Really? Skip what you don't like.

crackerss avatar crackers Yeah You Are +6Reply

Why would someone feel inhibited to post something on amirite if they couldn't do it anonymously? It's not like I expect to meet any of you... not that I would mind it if I did.

@PhilboydStudge Why would someone feel inhibited to post something on amirite if they couldn't do it anonymously? It's not like I...

Some users feel differently about that. I don't have many anon posts, but back in the old days if I wanted to play devil's advocate towards a controversial issue or even just voice an opinion that I knew other's would judge me harshly over, I would post it Anonymously.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +5Reply
@StickCaveman Some users feel differently about that. I don't have many anon posts, but back in the old days if I wanted to play...

This is why I think they have the option?

Even in your own group of pals, maybe you have a different view that you are not comfortable sharing. I can see why some people would want to post a thought or question without their recognizable avatar.

crackerss avatar crackers Yeah You Are +4Reply
@2339766

I have never posted anonymously, not intentionally. I'm sure I could figure out how to do it, but as of right now I don't know.

@2339936

I only see one (from 2012), but I'll take your word on the other two. Thank you for pointing it out to me. I really had no recollection of ever doing this. Not that I am any less wrong.

@2341612

Thanks Ser. I am unhappy with myself for saying I never made any anonymous posts. It was an honest mistake, but that's a crappy explanation.

@2339528

Why would you say those NOT opposed to anon posts are NOT afraid of arguing an issue? Anons can't argue...so there goes that theory all shot to hell.

@2339614

Did you just shush me? lol...

@2339327

People say lousy stuff with a profile. Ever notice?

It's about content. If it violates the rules, it goes. I think there are tons of moderators here from what I see.

crackerss avatar crackers Yeah You Are +5Reply
@2340072

But the moderators are active here. I will give you credit there. Some sites you never see one.

crackerss avatar crackers Yeah You Are +3Reply
@2340502

Oh no! I eat a lot of crackers! I will share if you are nice.

crackerss avatar crackers Yeah You Are +1Reply
@2340532

Thank-you much.

crackerss avatar crackers Yeah You Are +2Reply
@2340072

Then that's part of the problem. Several years ago, we had 10 or 12 fully active moderators. So nothing against the moderating that any if you do.. you're just out numbered.

@2340146

I can't remember. I don't even know how many active members there are now.

@2340072

Yeah, tell me about that Plat. Why are some mods sidelined or semi-active...and what does that mean? Like why are they even mods, then?

@2340588

Too bad. Makes it hard on you and Ser...especially when the others have more experience.

@2340634

Yes. I was away for some time so I missed the fireworks...

@2339353

I have also seen lots of people say they have anonymous posters blocked. I have also seen numerous people say they ignore them and then there are those that actually like and answer those questions, regardless of who posts them.

If moderators can control all that gets posted, why is this an issue?

Seems like a lot of fuss for an opinion site tbh.

@2340504

And you shouldn't remove them unless they cross a clear line with the TOS. Some of the anonymous posts are interesting conversation.

@2339353

It's possible to block a profile-less person but it's not easy to do.

@Sukiesnow It's possible to block a profile-less person but it's not easy to do.

It's easy to ignore. I am sure if it is a direct attack on another member, the moderators would remove it quick enough. I notice they are on most times.

@crackers It's easy to ignore. I am sure if it is a direct attack on another member, the moderators would remove it quick...

Yes, it is easy to ignore. Remember, I am a poster...and when there is an issue I like to post on it. That doesn't mean I always take it seriously, if at all.

@2339339

Some old posts we're switched to Anonymous after the user deleted their profile.

I do believe that if a user came back, their posts would be theirs again but I could be wrong.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +2Reply
@2339533

What the hell happened to Vic? Haven't heard from him in a while.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +3Reply

If you're against people posting anonymously, you're essentially condoning censorship. If you want to end anonymous posting, it would be contradictory for you to advocate free speech.

@2340089

Then moderation needs the ability to control them.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are 0Reply

When no one has to face the consequences of their words (good or bad), they will speak freely, that's not surprising. But the negative side is a nasty one - when that anonymity allows someone to harass another person, it starts getting problematic. It's the wonders of the internet.

I've seen certain conversations that wouldn't happen in real life, that's for sure.

Sofias avatar Sofia No Way +4Reply
@Sofia When no one has to face the consequences of their words (good or bad), they will speak freely, that's not...

That's where it's the moderator's duty to step in and take care of the issue. If that isn't happening, then it's the fault of the admin.

@2340091

Then it sounds like they need to take away the ability to block moderators. I don't remember it being that way when I was a mod.

And this is just me personally, but I think the block function should be completely taken away. But that's an argument for another day.

@2340091

Wow I've never heard of a system that allows mods to be blocked by regular members, it would make mods more like clerical support.

OzSurfers avatar OzSurfer Yeah You Are +1Reply
@StickCaveman That's where it's the moderator's duty to step in and take care of the issue. If that isn't happening, then it's...

Good luck telling Youtube that. Or any kind of site that has obvious cyber-bullying that no one does a thing about. We have luck to have moderators here, that's for sure.

Even Pinterest, that I always consider one of the peaceful sites on the internet, already has shitty people ruining it. Like I said, wonders of the internet - no one cares about the consequences. Most of the countries don't even take cyber bullying seriously.

I've seen people get deactivated (I'm not talking of Amirite) - they got another e-mail and came back anyway. Then they had sock accounts. Sure the it's the admin jobs to stop them, but it doesn't stop being an abusive behaviour.

Sofias avatar Sofia No Way +1Reply
@Sofia Good luck telling Youtube that. Or any kind of site that has obvious cyber-bullying that no one does a thing about...

YouTube is horrible when it comes to trolling and harassing comments. I love that site but I totally avoid comments

OzSurfers avatar OzSurfer Yeah You Are +2Reply
@OzSurfer YouTube is horrible when it comes to trolling and harassing comments. I love that site but I totally avoid comments

Yup. It's just nasty. Bunch of cruel cowards hiding behind a computer screen.

I have to admit though - I have learned a lot in how to deal with assholes thanks to the youtube comment section.

Sofias avatar Sofia No Way +2Reply
@OzSurfer That's great, I need to learn that skill, I just avoid them or I'll get angry.

It's not that hard - just don't insult them and keep yourself "professional" and calm. Not matter what, they will end up putting their foot in their mouth or look even bigger assholes.

It still hasn't failed in my experience.

Sofias avatar Sofia No Way +2Reply
@Sofia It's not that hard - just don't insult them and keep yourself "professional" and calm. Not matter what, they will...

Good advice, I might go and step into the untamed wilderness of youtube for some practice, if I don't return send out a recovery team with paramedics hehe smilie

@StickCaveman I'm specifically referring to amirite when I speak of anonymous posters.

I was talking internet in general, sorry.

While I know the good aspects of the anonymous features, I still don't think it should exist in a site like this. The good of it doesn't balance the bad for what I see.

Sofias avatar Sofia No Way +2Reply

How was everyone anonymous? It may be fun for a while to be anonymous but eventually there comes a time in life where you have to face your fears and be who you really are. And if you don't you are just being sneaky. I don't have room in my life for sneaky people...I mistrust them.

@2339765

Possibly on some level... Missy.

@2339939

My finger slipped.

Lol my highest rated/most loved comments and posts on here were anonymous. I wish I never had that option. Balls to the wall, my friend. No seriously, I wish I hadn't cared so much. I feel like the anonymous option just enabled my insecurity.

A class is different than this site. I think the annoymoude option allows people to be more mean than usual.

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred A class is different than this site. I think the annoymoude option allows people to be more mean than usual.

That's where it becomes the job of moderators to get rid of hateful posts and comments.

From the discussions above, I've determined that it's more of an understaffed mod issue than an anon issue. Also, mods should not be able to block users and users should not be able to block mods.

No problem,they can have an anonymous voice,i just don't hear them..

I don't post anonymously for the same reason i don't do anything else anonymously..

Listen to your gut feelings,if it doesn't seem right to you,doing it anonymously isn't the answer..

If i know robbing a bank is wrong but i put on as mask to do it,that doesn't make it all right......that makes me a thief..

@2339460

Their funny that way...

@DandyDon No problem,they can have an anonymous voice,i just don't hear them.. I don't post anonymously for the same reason...

Robbing banks has nothing to do with it. I'm talking about a person's image. Like what if I want to argue about (either) side of abortion but I don't want people to judge my opinion on what they already know about me? This sort of bias is more common than you think.

@2340088

You can respond. Just nobody will know you're the poster.

@StickCaveman Robbing banks has nothing to do with it. I'm talking about a person's image. Like what if I want to argue about...

If you don't want people to judge your opinion and stand up for what you believe in,keep it to yourself,doing it anonymously doesn't help anything.

The people you're talking to anonymously, don't have the slightest idea who you are...

The only person that's weirdly getting anything from this is you,posting anonymously..

Sounds like a lot more than an image problem..

To each their own...if it makes you feel better,go for it..

I'm not making any attempt to stop you,i just don't have to listen..