+15

Language is such a complex invention. After reaching a certain age, it is very hard to learn a new one. That's why it's despicable when people taunt foreign speakers for their poor English. Amirite?

fuzalas avatar Language
8 25
The voters have decided that fuzala is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

do realize that language is best learned in early childhood when the brain is very flexible and absorbs like a sponge

adults cannot absorb like that and only a minority learn languages after reaching their mid 20s

it's not that they REFUSE
it's that they have a lot of trouble and do not have RESOURCES to even learn

my neighbor went to free ESL classes at the local kindergarten for years and years, and bless her heart, but she simply could not absorb language as hard as she tried

Also, many are poor working 2 or 3 dead end jobs with barely enough time for their family. Cut people some slack geez

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are +4Reply
@2378570

Will do sir

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are +1Reply
@2378570

Maybe we move in different social circles, but I have NEVER heard anyone "taunt" someone for their inability to speak English well.

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual.

What do you call someone who speaks two languages? Bilingual.

What do you call someone who speaks only one language?
American.

I guess that age is after your teens. I won't ever taunt a foreign for not speaking perfectly whatever language it is. It's a childish behaviour.

Sofias avatar Sofia Yeah You Are +1Reply

It's english that's so different from other languages. Most speaking a new language can use the same grammatical structure they would in their own language and correctly convert it into almost any other language in the world, with the one exception of english. Not because their grammar is incorrect, but because the english language is so unnecessarily different in structure.

ForkNdaRoads avatar ForkNdaRoad Yeah You Are +1Reply
@2378832

I actually think baby talk is good

It keeps a baby's attention and a lot to them find it delightful, which in turn, makes them want to learn language

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are 0Reply

Learning languages is hard but if you plan on living somewhere new you must learn the language or you will be terribly disadvantaged.

Living in the western world where living life in peace among your countrymen has become more and more tenuous. Our open borders and sloppy immigration policies have allowed millions of undocumented people into the country. No one knows who they are, where they are or their intentions. Our once peaceful country has dealt with more and more violence, crime and terror than ever before. And, to make matters worse, newcomers to the country seem less and less interested in assimilating into the country like immigrants did generations ago.

Sorry - I don't have a magic wand to make your English sound better than it is.

@Budwick Living in the western world where living life in peace among your countrymen has become more and more tenuous. Our...

My English is better than yours so I don't know what you're talking about. It's not my fault you don't understand the English sentence structure? Are you having trouble understanding what I'm typing here? Is that the reason you state you don't have a magic wand to make my English better? My English is fine. I think the issue is your comprehension of English in that case. I won't make fun of you for it, though. That's what my post is speaking out against.

And didn't colonists invade the native land and destroy the land? The natives had no idea who they were. The colonists and pilgrims didn't learn the language of the natives. Trump wants to build a wall so Mexicans can't get in. The natives didn't build a wall stopping European immigrants.

The world didn't build walls when Europe gained control of 85% of the world through imperialism

The Middle East didn't build walls when America dropped bombs on them and killed hundreds and thousands of innocent children and citizens who had nothing to do with any of it

And Trump wants to build a wall when Mexicans were in America since centuries ago. That's disgusting

But now you wanna close borders? After creating destruction and hindering progression. After bombing third world countries that were already lacking in resources. After creating a third world so y'all can be on top as "First world"

Trying to control the world for centuries just so you can have all the resources. Then have the audacity to blame third world countries for not being civilized when you're the ones who made them that way. Stripping them of resources and taking over their land. Going around colonizing the world by force

What a shame
Much evil

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are +2Reply
@fuzala My English is better than yours so I don't know what you're talking about. It's not my fault you don't understand...

You have no idea how good or poor my English is.

One premise of your post is that 'it's despicable when people taunt foreign speakers for their poor English'. That is the focus of my magic wand comment.

Now you want to drag the colonists into the discussion? Are you certain you're not just trying to confuse the issue?

And, we're off to European history and world dominance - kind of drifting away from learning English, don't you think?

And finally, the nub of it all - Trump and his wall. His wall to secure one of the borders to the country. The border that has been most abused. Where drugs, illegal immigrants, criminals and some terrorists cross. Yes, he wants to build a defense for the country's sovereignty. Is that your actual issue Fuzula? Or, just another tangent?

@Budwick You have no idea how good or poor my English is. One premise of your post is that 'it's despicable when people...

You have no idea how my English is but you made a comment on it? And I can't do the same? I shouldn't be surprised by that logic

My issue is the very same people who are creating and supporting destruction in other countries want to build walls and be selfish just so they don't have to share resources with hard working Mexicans

Simple as that

European dominance is what made the world what it is today. It's what created the divide between first world and third world so best believe it is relevant.

You're the one who brought up "undocumented people and assimilation" don't be shocked when I address that

if undocumented people deals with language then what I said does, too

So don't tell me I went off on a tangent when you brought it up

k thanks

@fuzala You have no idea how my English is but you made a comment on it? And I can't do the same? I shouldn't be surprised...

As I explained and as you ignored -
"One premise of your post is that 'it's despicable when people taunt foreign speakers for their poor English'. That is the focus of my magic wand comment."

Share resources? Is that what they are calling massive undocumented immigration and amnesty pointed to instant citizenship?

Any gratitude for the $420 Billion we send to Mexico annually for economic aid? Those are all tax dollars paid by US citizens you know.

I've explained clearly why protecting our borders, why every country protects it's borders. You've convinced me that your English is fine - so, you must simply be selectively ignoring me. [Typical leftist - see! You are assimilating - just with the wrong side]

It's pretty clear that you have no interest in any point of view other than your own. Frankly, you sound bigoted toward the west and seem to share much of the hostility I would expect to find in a terrorist. [No, I did not call you a terrorist].

For your sake as well as mine, I'm putting you on a time out.

@Budwick As I explained and as you ignored - "One premise of your post is that 'it's despicable when people taunt foreign...

You sound bigoted towards Mexicans. You must be a part of ISIS. Seem to have the same goals of isolating innocent people

You also want to incite violence and hate against Muslims like ISIS does

Don't be brainwashed by them. They like to recruit people like that. Get out of that terrorist group while you can

And you don't have a magic wand so that means taunt people for the way they speak? That's another ISIS concept

And a lot of Americans are against "the West" in a lot of ways. But you don't compare them to terrorists. That's your bigotry at work

And what about when Texas and other states wanted to secede. That was anti-American and anit-West but that wasn't deemed as "hateful terrorist mentality"

Love how you ignored everything else I said

Unlike you, I'm not trying to incite violence and build walls. Building walls is what terrorists do so they can conduct their evil plans without intrusion

Would you say the same about asians who live in Chinatown in Chicago or New York? Are they assimilated enough?

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are 0Reply
@StickCaveman Would you say the same about asians who live in Chinatown in Chicago or New York? Are they assimilated enough?

I detect that you weren't expecting an actual reply to your loaded question, but surprise!

I'm only familiar with Chicago. The "New Chinatown" on the north side of Chicago doesn't have the same sensation of the original on the south side. The original has been there since about 1915. Chinese were severely discriminated against in California, of all places. And, the transcontinental railroad allowed for easier passage east. They built a community they felt comfortable in, and everyone else came to enjoy.

I only know a handful of Chinese and only one from that area, but yes - they seem to have assimilated well. They still honor their own traditions and culture without imposing it upon everyone else.

@StickCaveman Are Hispanics imposing their traditions and culture on us?

Are Hispanics in Chinatown?

Some are.

The biggest issue I think you will want to ignore is that many are here illegally.

@Budwick Are Hispanics in Chinatown? Some are. The biggest issue I think you will want to ignore is that many are here...

The point I'm getting at is that at most, we may have pushed the Spanish language in school curriculum, if you even consider that imposing tradition on others. How exactly are the Hispanics imposing their culture and tradition on Americans?

What percentage of Hispanics are here illegally?

@StickCaveman The point I'm getting at is that at most, we may have pushed the Spanish language in school curriculum, if you even...

Stick - You're harping on an issue that I've already agreed is not a major issue with most Hispanics. There are protests and events where Hispanics seem to pushing and agenda and purposely showing disrespect for America and citizens.

What percent are illegal? I don't know. I've heard the 11 million repeated often - that's significant - but I don't know the percentage.

What percent of illegal aliens do you think is acceptable?