+264

It's kind of annoying how most role models, (celebrities, models, Miss USA, and other people) are all so stick skinny, and have barely any curves. It is not setting a good example for little girls, and it's not real to look like that! Very few people these days look like that, and girls need more role models that are (as Tyra would say) fiercly real. amirite?

jrhoxos avatar
5 43
The voters have decided that jrhoxo is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

and some people are just naturally skinny without any effort.

Fat girls need to put down the fork and run themselves skinny. you can look however you want to look if you work at it.

@skinzfan602 Fat girls need to put down the fork and run themselves skinny. you can look however you want to look if you work at it.

She didn't say fat. She said curvy. As in has a body that DOES'T look like that of a 12 year old boy.

Bob_the_Penguins avatar Bob_the_Penguin Yeah You Are +3Reply

@@138390 (skinzfan602): You do realize that women have different sized hip bones, rib cages and organs, so not all women can physically BE as tiny as some other women.

"It's kind of annoying how most role models, (celebrities, models, Miss USA, and other people) are all so hugely fat, and have way too many curves. It is not setting a good example for little girls, and it's not real to look like that! Very few people these days look like that, and girls need more role models that are (as Tyra would say) fiercly real. amirite?"
If that was your post, everyone would hate you.

@ClaireTheBozo "It's kind of annoying how most role models, (celebrities, models, Miss USA, and other people) are all so hugely...

Yes they would but not reasonably. It really should be that women who are serving as role models have a variety of body sizes, and body sizes that are healthy rather than at either extreme.

But some people are just born skinny like that. And because of stuff like this they might feel sad they have no curves, are skinny, and want to be a model.

so its a good thing to be fat?

@so its a good thing to be fat?

(?): That's what I was thinking. I mean we don't want to teach girls to starve themselves so they can look as skinny has whoever, but the opposite would be to teach girls that being obese isn't a bad thing.

I agree with you to a certain degree. we shouldn't be teaching girls that being skinny is everything, but shouldn't they have someone to look up to who is healthy? especially in the US where obesity rates in children are so high. there ought to be a happy medium between stick thin and like, overweight.

BeedleTheBards avatar BeedleTheBard Yeah You Are +16Reply
@BeedleTheBard I agree with you to a certain degree. we shouldn't be teaching girls that being skinny is everything, but shouldn't...

I agree with you but being skinny does not equate to being healthy (though after re-reading I realized you never said that).

@twisted_memories I agree with you but being skinny does not equate to being healthy (though after re-reading I realized you never...

No, it doesn't, you're right. but there are plenty of good role models who are naturally thin, or who manage to keep themselves from getting overweight by exercise and a healthy diet, which is much more healthy than some people who are "fiercely real" and overweight.

BeedleTheBards avatar BeedleTheBard Yeah You Are 0Reply
@BeedleTheBard No, it doesn't, you're right. but there are plenty of good role models who are naturally thin, or who manage to...

Which is exactly what I think a role model should be like. If you're naturally thin that's fine, but if you're underweight you should work to be a healthy weight the same as someone who is overweight should. I think that you totally should be able to accept yourself, but you should still work to change yourself for the better if you can. I mean, you might not be able to change a birthmark you don't really like, but if you're not healthy that's different. It's something you don't need to accept because it's something you can change.

@twisted_memories Which is exactly what I think a role model should be like. If you're naturally thin that's fine, but if you're...

Yeah. One thing I hate is people complaining about their weight but not doing anything about it. hahah thats a whole other tangent though.

@BeedleTheBard Yeah. One thing I hate is people complaining about their weight but not doing anything about it. hahah thats a...

Haha too true. I've got a friend who's ALWAYS complaining about her weight but when I offer to go to the gym with her and show her some stuff, she's always too "busy." I'm not saying that I'm the picture of health, but I'm certainly trying.

@twisted_memories Haha too true. I've got a friend who's ALWAYS complaining about her weight but when I offer to go to the gym with...

Yeaaaah too many people are lazy. I get a work out regularly, and then people compliment me on like having a good swimsuit body or whatever, and its like, you could too if you'd work for it.

BeedleTheBards avatar BeedleTheBard Yeah You Are +1Reply

I am 5 feet even and I weigh about 88 pounds. I am 21 years old by the way. I have ALWAYS been like this and I will ALWAYS be like this because my Mother is exactly the same, as is my grandmother. We're short and we're skinny. This doesn't make me any less of a woman or a potential role model. I am FIERCELY REAL because I love and accept myself for who I am. If you're a good person, it doesn't matter what si size you are.

The last Miss USA seemed pretty healthy looking and slightly curvy, but everyone kept hating on her because she was of Arab descent. She would have been a good role model for many if she wasn't portrayed in such a negative light.

@The last Miss USA seemed pretty healthy looking and slightly curvy, but everyone kept hating on her because she was...

America--Where we'd rather have dangerously skinny or obese girls be role models instead of Arabs, amirite?

First of all skinny people shouldn't be attacked for their weight anymore than overweight people.

Second being fat is unhealthy so it actually should be criticized more.

Lastly I absolutely HATE when people assume that skinny people can't have curves. Curves mean big boobs and hips not fat stomachs so it's possible to have a flat stomach and lean legs and arms but still be curvy. If people really think you can't be skinny and have curves then their perception of reality is messed up.

528491s avatar 528491 No Way +14Reply
@528491 First of all skinny people shouldn't be attacked for their weight anymore than overweight people. Second being...

Being skinny does not equate to being healthy. There is a dangerous problem of eating disorders on this side of the world coupled with obesity problems. People should strive to be healthy, not skinny or curvy or whatever.

@528491 Ok but by skinny I mean a BMI around 20, which is healthy.

I wouldn't really consider that skinny, just the lower end of acceptable weight, which would make it normal. Being too skinny or too fat isn't good, and both should be criticized. However, help should be made readily available for those who need it to make themselves more healthy. You shouldn't feel shitty about how you look because then you're less likely to try and fix it. You should be able to say, "Ok, so I know I look fine, but I could probably lose/gain a few pounds, so I'm gunna try." Because going to the gym when you feel like shit isn't going to motivate you. We need to make people feel good about themselves, while encouraging a better lifestyle.

@1260416

Well IMO people with a lot of muscle aren't exactly skinny, they're muscular. And I was just using the BMI because I think that a BMI of about 18-22(I just picked a random number in there and said 20) is skinny and since 18-25 is healthy I was explaining that in this case skinny does equate healthy.

@1260416

This is true. I've lost a whole dress and cup size but the scale says I'm the same weight I was a few months ago. Nonetheless it's a good place to start. Anyway, again, we should all just strive for health, not a specific weight.

@1260811

That sounds like a fine weight for your size. If I were that light I'd be I'll lol. But I'm sure we're both still normal for our heights.

@1261067

Exactly. We're all shaped so differently anyway.

To me it seems like they're either skinny or obese (neither of which is good). However, it's becoming more and more present that people be fit and healthy now and that makes a good role model.

@twisted_memories To me it seems like they're either skinny or obese (neither of which is good). However, it's becoming more and more...

I'm skinny but can't help it. I shovel food into my mouth and you can still see my ribs. It's things like this that me feel asbad as if I was fat.

@I'm skinny but can't help it. I shovel food into my mouth and you can still see my ribs. It's things like this that...

You should see a dietitian the same as someone who is over weight should. Maybe the foods you're eating just aren't enough for your metabolism to handle. You shouldn't feel bad about who you are, but if you're not healthy you should try to change that. I'm not denying that people have issues with weight (large or small) but that we should try to change ourselves for the better instead of just saying, "oh well this is just how I am." If you can't do it on your own get someone to help you, that's why dietitians and doctors exist. I got help with my weight issues and I've never felt better.

@I don't have 1000 dollars to toss out the window, though.

Check online, do what you can do. There is a ton of information out there. If you have done that, then I respect that. I just don't think it should be ok to accept yourself if you're not healthy without doing what you can (now, I'm not saying that you're unhealthy, just that being skinny doesn't mean you are or are not healthy, depending on how skinny you are). There is quite a large range in weight that is considered healthy based on height and age (BMI?), so maybe you're just on the lower end. Have you checked your BMI? You can easily find a converter online. My point is that we should strive to be healthy and look for what help we can when we need it (regardless of weight). Like, you could be the perfect size and totally fit, but if you're smoking you should quit (not quite the same, but an example nonetheless). Does that make sense?

Being skinny doesn't make you any less of a woman. We should be focusing more on WHY these women are considered role models: usually because they're good at what they do, and are good people. If they're only considered role models because of their looks, then we should be worrying. I'd consider Tina Fey a fucking awesome role model, but not because she's thin. Because she's clever and funny.

Appearance is only skin-deep.

It's also annoying how most female role models are judged by their body type.

Inu_chans avatar Inu_chan Yeah You Are +5Reply

Everyone keeps saying that op is promoting obesity. If you can't see the difference between being obese and having curves, you have a problem. Op is saying that most role models are sticks, hardly any curve. This sets a bad, unrealistic example for young people, girls especially. although looks shouldn't be what a role model is about for most teens today that's what it is based on.

Because everyone who's skinny is fake. In reality, everyone's fat. right?

I think Beyonce would be a good woman to look up to. She's heathly yet she still has curves