+13

It's not impolite to talk about income, amirite?

Sure, bragging about one's money can be eye rolling. But why the stigma of not asking what someone else makes? Maybe I'm interested in changing jobs.

StickCavemans avatar Money & Economics
4 31
The voters have decided that StickCaveman is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

It can be, but I think it's good to discuss it among coworkers. Companies don't want you doing this so they can underpay people

TASTs avatar TAST Yeah You Are +6Reply
@2815263

Depending on the country, in some parts of the world doctors get paid less than a British McDonalds employee

@2815260

Anonymous calls to a certain part of the government who checks if things are legal?

@2815260

I haven't heard of my company firing anyone over it, but they have the same rule. I use it to try to upkeep my student retention by explaining they can make what I make if they just stick with it for two years.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +1Reply
@StickCaveman I haven't heard of my company firing anyone over it, but they have the same rule. I use it to try to upkeep my...

It’s illegal in the United States to punish employees for discussing salaries. It’s one of the few federally imposed protections

I mean, companies still do it obviously, but you can report them for it.

death_or_glorys avatar death_or_glory Yeah You Are 0Reply

I don't like being asked how much I make. It's my business and only my business.

It can be, yes. I'd be very hesitant to just ask someone how money they are making in a job or what their income is, in most cases.

I make exactly $0, I'm a lazy student dependent on my parents who've been working abroad since I was 12 years old. Summer dental practice doesnt cound because I dont get paid and don't really do much but watch.

@2815243

Mine was imported, obviously, but the shipping didn't cost that much. Do you get your own pelts by yourself?

ZonkeyBallss avatar ZonkeyBalls Yeah You Are +1Reply

Because that's private life and it's none of your business.

I don't see it that way - but I've learned that plenty of people want others to keep away from their money, or even just the topic. I can respect that. It's the same thing about sex - some people are comfortable talking about it, others not so much. It's about how you were raised and the culture around you.

Sofias avatar Sofia Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Sofia Because that's private life and it's none of your business. I don't see it that way - but I've learned that plenty...

But to a certain degree, don't people try to expose how much money they make through display of material possessions? Therefore, bringing it out into the open anyway.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +2Reply
@StickCaveman But to a certain degree, don't people try to expose how much money they make through display of material...

They want you to know they have money, but don't want to seem jerks by bragging about it, so they show it with their possessions?
But even then, that's tricky. I know people who in no way whatsoever are rich, but they sure act and look like they are.

Sofias avatar Sofia Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Sofia They want you to know they have money, but don't want to seem jerks by bragging about it, so they show it with...

Exactly. They are in debt. At least if they discussed their finances, they would might get some helpful fiscal advice.

Nope.
How do you know how much they spent on those possessions?
Maybe they got them with a big discount - or as a gift.

@Walt_OReagun Nope. How do you know how much they spent on those possessions? Maybe they got them with a big discount - or as a gift.

Or they're being irresponsible with their credit cards and accruing a massive amount of debt. That's a potential reason as well.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are 0Reply
@StickCaveman Or they're being irresponsible with their credit cards and accruing a massive amount of debt. That's a potential...

Yep ... especially given that most Americans have thousands of dollars in credit card debt, and very little in savings.

I just thought to give you a quick insight into the Finnish system, which is quite complicated and partially insane. Let's just say, that I'm still unemployed. Long term, no honey, but not that many bees either. Basically, I'm your scum, waiting for that big lottery win.

When it’s TMI, it’s TMI. And on Amirite, it’s TMI.

@StickCaveman But how is it too much information?

No one save an authorised/trusted party should know your income.
Also, what Budwick said.

I don't need to know how much you make,
and vice versa.

It's rude to ask someone what they make.
If you're looking at changing jobs, you can ask for what the expected salary range is ... but not what a specific person makes.

And NO ... companies don't have policies against it so that they can underpay people.
They have policies against it to prevent workplaces where people think "so and so is making too much, I do more work than they do". Or where coworkers say "You make more than I do, so you should give more to charity" (EG during a United Way campaign). Or "You make more than Frank, so you should give some to him because he's going through hard times".