-22

A young person giving a transplant to a old person seems pointless, amirite?

unknownconditions avatar Health, Beauty & Fitness
0 22
The voters have decided that unknowncondition is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Not really enough information.
So, I'll develop a scenario.
Young person has a motorcycle accident, rushed to hospital and dies. Why not harvest his organs to save someone, anyone else?

@Budwick Not really enough information. So, I'll develop a scenario. Young person has a motorcycle accident, rushed to...

I was told by a first responder not to donate my organs because hospitals are quick to harvest when sometimes people can be saved.

@Budwick I've heard that too - not from a first repsonder though.

To know that, the hospital would have to know about the "organ donor" card BEFORE the person came in to the ER. The purpose of the ER is to stabilize the person. They are required to do so by law.

• -
    So you're talking about the hospital stabilizing the person ... and then killing them to harvest organs.
    From what I have read hospitals tend to keep people on life support.

Bud usually there is a long waiting list for any needed organ. I think the younger person on a list should get the organ, as old people have less time to use the organ, and old people heal slower so it might fail. . Everyone should be an organ donor. You can't take it with you, if you do it will rot and be wasted

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred Bud usually there is a long waiting list for any needed organ. I think the younger person on a list should get...

It all depends Lorraine. Should we give the organ to a 25 year old who has ruined his organs by drugs and alcohol or a 40 year old who had an organ damaged by a car accident? There are so many things to consider. It's tough when we try to put value on a persons live because of their age. (I don't have the answer)

It's a sentimental but also a bad investment, reducing a younger person's life to prolong (insignificantly) the life of an elder.

I guess to some it would seem pointless, but we all want to hang onto our loved ones as long as possible. But if the transplant would endanger the young person's life, then I would vote NO, not a good thing.

It would be a waste on me. However; if the young person is dead and the old person is healthy, it could work out well. Transplanted organs typically last 5-12 years in young or older patients from what I've read.

if the young person is already dead it isn't pointless

eli666s avatar eli666 No Way +1Reply

Sometimes it seems that way: "You've shortened your life significantly so someone else can have a slight extension to theirs!"

There are other times when it may be worth it. I think it depends on how healthy the person is and what they're donating.

@Tibby Sometimes it seems that way: "You've shortened your life significantly so someone else can have a slight extension...

organs should go down age but you don't hear that too much and yes the situation depends

@unknowncondition organs should go down age but you don't hear that too much and yes the situation depends

strange when my mom died at 83 they wanted her organs for transplanting - in that case let another 83 year old have it as organs can't live forever. When it comes to live organ donors sometimes that is done for love and they can't force you to give to another if you don't want that.

Nah ... "youth is wasted on the young"

Define old and define young first. To some, 40 is "old" and to others, 40 is young. I was an organ donor until a couple months ago.

Anonymous