-41

We always picture alien worlds with plants, but plants are entirely native to our planet. There wouldn't be plants anywhere. am I right?

2 4
The voters have decided that this post is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I imagine there would be something similar but not completely the same as our plants.

TASTs avatar TAST No Way +4Reply

I would imagine there are a lot of planets with no plants, but probably none that we would be interested in moving to. :)

Life as we know it wouldn't be possible without plants, they provide the foundation of the food chain by converting sunlight into chemical energy that higher organisms require. There may be other ways for a food chain to occur, but this is the only model we know about, so we assume that life on other planets will probably follow roughly the same model.

.

There's also a principle found in scripture that applies here:

.

The LORD by wisdom hath founded the earth; by understanding hath he established the heavens. By his knowledge the depths are broken up, and the clouds drop down the dew. (Proverbs 13:19, 20)

.

Since the world was not simply a random occurrence but the creation of Supreme Intelligence, what was created here may be more or less identical to what was created elsewhere. We don't know what the range of different types of life on other planets is, there may be very wide variation, or there may be relatively narrow variation, but based on this principle, I think it's a safe bet that a certain amount of it is basically the same as earth.

.

.

So how many planets are there in the universe anyway? We don't know because they're very hard to see compared to stars, but it is estimated that there are about a septillion stars in the observable universe, that's a trillion times a trillion. If each star was represented by a grain of sand, that would be about 40 cubic miles of sand. Our star has 10 planets, is that higher or lower than average? We don't know, but I think it's a reasonable guess that there are probably at least a septillion planets, maybe ten septillion or more. That's a lot of opportunities for life to exist. Even if life is very rare and only one in every trillion planets is earthlike, that means there are a trillion planets like earth.