+41

Alcoholic beverages should not be present at a reception for a child graduating from high school. Amirite?

parentaldiscretions avatar
1 19
The voters have decided that parentaldiscretion is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

None of my friend or family have ever served alcohol or have ever had alcohol in the house for any party. That's just so wrong.

Plenty of high school graduates are 18, seems appropriate to me.

@TAST Plenty of high school graduates are 18, seems appropriate to me.

Yeah but Americans don't recognize 18 as an appropriate age to drink

If you have alcoholic beverages available at a minor event, they are bound to get into it and start drinking. I'm personally against it. Parents can be liable if it's held at their house.

Balous avatar Balou Yeah You Are +1Reply

It's one of those things that no one should endorse but we all know are done anyway. Chances are 90% of those HS graduates are well used to alcohol. For Europe it's no big deal because by the time we do graduate we're already 18 so we could legally drink. Especially in Eastern Europe you'd never see a prom that has a lack of alcohol. At mine they served vodka, although it was so bad I'd rather put it in a burner.

This has been a pet peeve of mine for years. They are not old enough to drink the alcohol. You should be there to congratulate the child on their accomplishment. Why do the parents have to have alcohol there?

For the graduate and his or her friends? Absolutely not. It's illegal to serve an 18 year old alcohol.

However, if you're also having family and friends, aka adults, I see no problem with having alcoholic beverages.

I love how in America you are legally allowed to go to war and kill people @ the age of 18, but, you can't drink a beer.......

This comment was deleted.
@2863048

No thanks, son. It all about gambling. Thas how u make a quick buck.

Smh...

Most graduates are 18...at that age ya ain't no longer a child but an adult. Ya should know right from wrong. If ya old enough to drink then you know its wrong and ya shouldn't do it.

In addition, keeping out of a graduation party isn't gonna stop a high school graduate from drinking on graduation day.

@Lil_Princess Smh... Most graduates are 18...at that age ya ain't no longer a child but an adult. Ya should know right from...

21 is the legal age in Maine nobody is to be drunck until the age of 21 - it was 18 when I was 18, I have never been a drinker even at a bar I order diet coke, it used to be one glass of screwdriver but I didn't love it and it made me fatter.

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred 21 is the legal age in Maine nobody is to be drunck until the age of 21 - it was 18 when I was 18, I have never...

You might have forgotten what it was like to be a student, surely you knew most of your peers drunk plenty back then, I mean come on Loraine, highschoolers doing a house party with those red cups is the staple of American comedy films. And don't get me started on the older generations with their woodstock and hippie festivals going all "grooovey and far out, maaaan"

@Sunny_the_skeptic You might have forgotten what it was like to be a student, surely you knew most of your peers drunk plenty back...

Sunny I grew up here in Maine and didn't hang around bad or cool people, so No I never knew anyone who drank in high school.

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred Sunny I grew up here in Maine and didn't hang around bad or cool people, so No I never knew anyone who drank in...

I know exactly nothing about Maine or even where exactly it is but it sounds like a tidy place in this case. I'm surprised

It is in Indiana too. My parents didn't drink but I started at 15 and by the time I reached 18 I was carted off to AA.

I'm a recovering alcoholic but I made the choice to drink, nobody forced me to do.

But the lil fucker drank already looool shiii… only joking son.

NO it should not be pesent.