-16

There is no evolutionary Funktion behind the sensation of itching. amirite

Tyagidevanshs avatar
0 10
The voters have decided that Tyagidevansh is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

What's Funktion? Itchiness is useful - the purpose is to cause the desire to scratch, which can remove bugs from your skin.

@Pretzeldude16 What's Funktion? Itchiness is useful - the purpose is to cause the desire to scratch, which can remove bugs from...

To feel bugs on your skin you only need the sensation of touch.
An itch is what you feel when a mosquito bit you.

Scratching has no positives, all you do is potentially hurt your skin, something that could potentially kill you in our natural environment.

@Tyagidevansh To feel bugs on your skin you only need the sensation of touch. An itch is what you feel when a mosquito bit you...

The human species is intelligent which allows it to do that, but most animals can't.
That's why pain, discomfort and hence itchiness, are important.

Say a big lands on you and tickles your hairs, you might get itchy to swat them away?

Its also probably to let your body know it's potentially damaged or infected?

@Wisetumbleweed Say a big lands on you and tickles your hairs, you might get itchy to swat them away? Its also probably to let...

"Its also probably to let your body know it's potentially damaged or infected" so far I know that is already done by pain.

@Tyagidevansh "Its also probably to let your body know it's potentially damaged or infected" so far I know that is already done...

Yes. But say a small cut that hasn't caused much pain has then filled with puss. It might get itchy. I agree that pain does the heavy lifting.

But a flea bite for example doesn't cause pain really. But gets itchy.

I agree that it's mainly pointless.

But no-one said that evolution has to make sense, just that it happens.

It's a sensory warning sign and constant reminder to stay away from things that affect you negatively.

@It's a sensory warning sign and constant reminder to stay away from things that affect you negatively.

This guy is so dumb he's actually saying "but touch can do that" well I guess pain is useless too? But you use that as an argument against why itching is useful so pain must be equally as useful as touch... something doesn't add up.

Use tiger balm