+71

Even when you do everything right there is still 50 % chance that you'll utterly fail. And just as many people find it depressing, many people find it motivating. amirite?

skyrat01s avatar Money & Economics
0 9
The voters have decided that skyrat01 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Roll a die; if you need a 2 or higher to succeed, then you have a 1/6 or about 16% chance that you'll utterly fail.

Just because you have a binary scenario of either "success" or "failure" doesnt mean the odds are evenly distributed.

@Hofito Roll a die; if you need a 2 or higher to succeed, then you have a 1/6 or about 16% chance that you'll utterly fail...

There's a 50% chance I'll find a duffel bag with $3926196382 in it today, don't spoil my dreams and hopes

@Milkzey There's a 50% chance I'll find a duffel bag with $3926196382 in it today, don't spoil my dreams and hopes

Unless you know for sure that its on one of two places and you can only check one of them, its much less than 50%>

Just like glass is half empty or half full

@catsuperberg Just like glass is half empty or half full

It depends on the action. If you fill it to half, then it's half full. If you drink half of the full glass, it is half empty

There is very rarely exactly a 50% chance a person can fail. And even if there is, there are always actions you can take to reduce that chance.

Think mine's calibrated a lot worse than that... Think it's closer to 90%, unless the later half of my life is going to go VERY well :P

Its winner takes all ... The curve is set by the number of participants... Winning is the worst motivater