+43

It doesn't make sense that a majority of stores are open 9-5 when most people work 9-5, amirite?

Icy-layers avatar Jobs & Employment
1 63
The voters have decided that Icy-layer is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

But those are the people working 9-5 like you just said.

The three closest stores to me close at 10, 11 and 8 pm...a smilie

Well nobody wants to work nights so there it is......

@mkfireman Well nobody wants to work nights so there it is......

When I worked nights I loved being able to go places after my shift and not worry about when they closed

Has me scrambling round the high street during my lunch break 😂

Most stores in my country open 10-7. And malls open from 10-10.

My regular workday is from 8 til 16 (with frequently beginning at 6/7 and working til 19/20)

Was told that I had to sign some papers in the bank and was told to come during regular opening hours.

Apparently regular opening hours for them is 10 til 14.

Just 4 hours in the middle of the day. Like that's bloody impossible to do in a regular day.

(Good thing by boss is chill and let me have some hours of to sign)

In Mexico City , there are some stores that never close. Of course , our lifestyle is crazy .

well yeah, cuz the people are working there.

aren't stores open from 9-9

@Mrtechnohawk aren't stores open from 9-9

ahh yes all stores now have uniform 9-9 hours. thank you for solving this problem, internet stranger.

it doesn't make sense that stores are open 9-5

#

Most people work 9-5

SHOCKING

i think about this all the time. like how TF do i go to the doctors without getting fired?

I have this problem with Costco. It's only open from 10-8:30 on weekdays and 9:30-6 on weekends. It's always super crowded because of it

@Ajdee6 I have this problem with Costco. It's only open from 10-8:30 on weekdays and 9:30-6 on weekends. It's always super...

Think the reason why costco does this is so they can restock and get forklifts through the aisles without having pedestrians around

@404ChompyNotFound Think the reason why costco does this is so they can restock and get forklifts through the aisles without having...

They should just run 'em over. Let evolution weed out the slow ones. If I need 24 boxes of Captain Crunch at 2am, then I need them.

Yeah but those hours are still pretty extreme, they could open 30 minutes earlier and stay 30 minutes later. It also maximizes profit only being open for so many hours. They know people will find a time to come no matter what

I live in Southern California and before COVID everything was generally open till 9pm on the weekdays and 10 on weekends.

And those are the people working in those stores :-)

Only when you get far away from a city.

I have always complained about this. As a small business owner it makes sense to be open when the potential customers that have jobs/money are available to spend it. We do more business between 6-8 it's when people have had a chance to get home, eat and want to get out and take care of business or just be out and about.

It does if most people work at stores!

Most stores are open way later than 5. But there are small businesses that are open 9-5 and it's usually because they are run by the owners and the owner wants to work a reasonable schedule.

I just moved from huge city to tiny town, their hardware stores all close by 1pm on Sunday. Sucks cause that is usually my only day to work on stuff.

Car dealerships are the worst offenders imo - at least here in Australia. Looking for a car is like the ultimate weekend activity along with inspecting properties but are dealerships open on weekends? No, they are only open Monday to Friday whereas real estate agents adjust to meet general public's needs and show places on weekends. Like WTF. So now I have to take time off work to look for a car? Reeeediculous.

Sad thing this is 95% of govt jobs. Makes em even more pointless

There was a grocery store chain where I lived that was open 24/7, but would be empty most of the non regular hours.

Welcome to France.
Where people work until 6/7pm and everything closes at 7pm.

Baby specialty store opens at 10 and closes at 4; most of my city's banks open at 9 and close at 5. Maddening.

Why does the doctor's office think 9-5 is a good idea. It works well with my schedule, but not most.

Yes! Any medical appts i have i have to request days or times off.

Always wondered why hardware stores in my country do not open on sunday, but sunday is the only day most people have to fix their stuff.

Not just stores but like doctors office.

Why do you think they're open 9-5 🤦‍♀️

Stores are usually open til 8 or 9.

When stores were open during the day only, it was because women were at home and able to shop during the day.

Therefore it made perfect sense at the time.

@Icy-layer Stores are usually open til 8 or 9. When stores were open during the day only, it was because women were at home...

My biggest shock when I went to Ireland for my honeymoon was that all the stores closed around 5. Since my whole day was planned with activities we didn't have time to see any shots in a lot of towns. Very weird.

@LookAnAltAccount That makes sense. I have always wondered what OP stated. So many things need to be updated.

Where I live I can't think of anything that closes at 5. Even banks are open til 8.

@piromysl Where I live I can't think of anything that closes at 5. Even banks are open til 8.

I work second shift. It wasn't bad when places stayed open 24 hours but since covid I gotta go before work.

I live in a tiny town, that's next to a town a smidgen bigger... Only bars and a 24 hour McDonald's are open after 6pm.

Or the gas station 10 miles out of town if that counts too.

@Akhilmathew33 Our banks are closed at 3:00...

If you're going to the bank at all your doing it wrong in 2020.

@Thatoneduderyan Our banks are closed at 4:30...

Ours close at 2pm... Imposible to go if working. We need to get a day off to go.

@ImMemeLord Ours close at 2pm... Imposible to go if working. We need to get a day off to go.

There's almost no reason in 2020 you should ever have to step foot in a traditional bank.

I stepped foot in one twice in the last decade. One to get a certified check to buy my first house. Second to close the account when to a fully online bank.

5 on Fridays to make it worse

Well, in some cases I suppose lol

Europe really hasn't caught up there. Most stores here are firmly shut by six. It makes no sense at all.

And Aussie banks close at 4:30...

@Mihaiescu01 And Aussie banks close at 4:30...

This is a crime agaisnt their customers..when anarchy really comes ..imma burn the banks not the shoe stores

a majority of stores are open 9-5

What? I'm not sure I know of a single store that is only open 9-5.

@Alixkast a majority of stores are open 9-5 What? I'm not sure I know of a single store that is only open 9-5.

In Australia it's like that almost everywhere except Thursday nights, when shops are open until 9 or so.

I don't either. Every store I know is open later. But doctors, banks, repair shops, veterinarians, etc., all close at 5:00 or maybe 5:30

OP is definitely from a small town. I lived in a small town in Iowa when I was younger and they still have stores that close at 5 or 6. They got a dollar general that's open till 8 and the Big name supermarket is open till 7. The bigger stores are open Later on weekends, but not the small mom and pop stores.

@mkfireman OP is definitely from a small town. I lived in a small town in Iowa when I was younger and they still have stores...

Yup. When I lived in Bayonne (not overly small, but pretty small by some measures), all the stores on the main strip had limited hours (10-6, some 11-5, or maybe only open 4 days a week). It's a very curious phenomenon.

Here in australia like 75% of retail stores close at 5, pain in the ass because most people finish at 5

It's frustrating trying to go to the bank, but by the time you get off work, hop in your car, get on the freeway, deal with traffic, and finally get there, it's closed.

XdJackiebois avatar XdJackieboi Yeah You Are 0Reply

Honestly I miss stores being open to 3-4 am I work second shift so shopping is a pain. Either I have to waste my day off or I have to get up early. Honestly even 2am would be amazing.

Right? I mean, those aren't PEOPLE AT WORK working at the stores!
/s

Do you live in Adelaide Australia?

Wait where do you live that stores close that early haha

Even better, the bank is open 10 - 4, Monday to Friday!