+40

If you're 18, you can adopt a person that's 17 years old. amirite?

Tldfonats avatar History
0 12
The voters have decided that Tldfonat is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Technically yes. It usually has to be a family member such as a sibling and you would have to prove that you can provide for them. Your local courthouse/clerk of court can get you the information you need

Theoretically, sure. But good luck with any adoption agencies.

@Nlphbtsms It does not take an adoption agency, just a court

Unless the eighteen year old is a relative of the kid being adopted (and even that can be difficult), courts aren't likely to put through that adoption either. At least in the US, adoption is disproportionately difficult with the high number of children in the foster system.

@Iapetus-11 Unless the eighteen year old is a relative of the kid being adopted (and even that can be difficult), courts...

You should look up the statistics because this happens far more than people think and is the normal tactic of polygamists who are not allowed to marry by law.

I'm not for or against this but happen to know it is not all that rare. And adoption between anyone and a 17 year old who wants to be adopted is quite easy.

@Thatoneduderyan You should look up the statistics because this happens far more than people think and is the normal tactic of...

Well why don't you provide these statistics? The scenario you describe may happen but in the grand scheme of adoptions? I'd be willing to bet a 17 yo getting adopted by an 18 yo would raise some flags in any state. And yes it's a hassle to adopt anyone- 17 months or 17 years.

Can you also adopt someone who is 18, or even 19? I have heard of adults being adopted, so does the adopter need to be older?

Boom Instant Girlfriend

My grandpa served in the Korean War when he was 19. He met a 16 year old Korean kid who he really wanted to adopt, but his commander wouldn't allow it. 15 years later he adopted my mom from Korea instead.

88080808088s avatar 88080808088 Yeah You Are +1Reply

In America, you have to be 21 or older to adopt. Some states it is 18 but for most of America its 21, which even then is too young. Todays generation of parents are terrible. I have seen single mothers smoke cigarettes in their kids face here in Washington state. Even seen soccer moms trying to get dispensary owners to let their minor kids in and look at all the weed.