+40

Being poor is expensive. amirite?

freq432s avatar Money & Economics
0 32
The voters have decided that freq432 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

oh boy do the truth hurt very very much

I think I heard some Republicans say just don't be poor. Seems like sound logic

Cecontters avatar Cecontter Yeah You Are +8Reply

Some people, they like to go out dancing. Other people, they have to work.

Sometimes it do

motorbikemillys avatar motorbikemilly Yeah You Are +7Reply

So very accurate

@teknogreek So very accurate

It's probably more expensive to be poor than to be rich actually.

Being poor is expensive physically and probably mentally while being rich is expensive if u have a family Bc there is always a big disconnect

It's worse than expensive. It's time-consuming.

"The problem with being poor is that it takes all your time."

— Barbara Ehrenreich

Nothing is more expensive than being poor.

@freq432 Stick that on a food stamp

I think that I get what you are saying. Would you mind explaining for clearifacation purposes though?

@freq432 Stick that on a food stamp

Can't. Got denied because income "exceeds the limit for this program"

Sebixv20s avatar Sebixv20 Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Sebixv20 Can't. Got denied because income "exceeds the limit for this program"

So they punished you for earning money? Hmmm that seems like a system that's based on keeping you poor.

Some of us put the style in cheap. Some of us just look cheap. Some of us are too cheap to look stylish, we are the ones that leave large estates and rich next generation.

It's not what you make, it's what you spend....

The sooner you understand that concept, the better off you will be.

@dogmom050502 It's not what you make, it's what you spend.... The sooner you understand that concept, the better off you will be.

If think you're missing the point. Rich people can buy the same stuff but all at once, to avoid interest; better quality, to remove the need to replace or repair; and in bulk, to benefit from economies of scale. Being poor is literally expensive even for basic necessities. One example is that I'd be saving £200 this year if I could pay my insurance up front

@contextrip If think you're missing the point. Rich people can buy the same stuff but all at once, to avoid interest; better...

You're missing the point. You can spend less on insurance by having a lesser car or no car at all and save that money.... "Keeping up with the Jones" is what leads people to being poor no matter how much money they make.

@Milkzey You're missing the point. You can spend less on insurance by having a lesser car or no car at all and save that...

Yes, because when you're poor suddenly there's no need for a car or groceries. If you think "keeping up with the Jones" is the root of poverty, you're obviously taking from a place of privilege and you have no idea.

This is often quoted but whenever being poor vs rich comes up I'll never not quote it just because it's so good.

"The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness."

-Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms, Discworld series

I encourage anyone who hasn't read Discworld yet to take a look at it.

Look at something as simple as an overdraft fee

@BigMemer Look at something as simple as an overdraft fee

And I don't want to hear manage you money better eating Thursday makes you do it

@teknogreek Are you okay?

Me I'm good no issues at all I have just been around too many people that have had to make that decision