+6

It is interesting to think that we did not create colors for skin tones— "white" and "black" are the adopted forms yet they are extreme exaggerations. amirite?

Boknows12s avatar History
0 7
The voters have decided that Boknows12 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Red and yellow, also.

Maybe its due to black and white photos

Why don't black people like being called brown? I'm peach, like pink coloured, not white. Trying to explain to my kids on no don't call him brown, he's black. But Dad, he's not black.

@The-Merciless-Potato Why don't black people like being called brown? I'm peach, like pink coloured, not white. Trying to explain to my...

Depends the person, I've met some "white" people that don't like being called peach or pink. Also some black people refer to themselves as brown skins.

Mmm, brown usually refers to people who are dark but don't have black features, Indian people for example.

Maybe because beige would be weird?

I mean, English is a language created by palle skin people who for a very long time valued a very pale skin tone, literally trying to get their skin as close to white as possible since they saw this as beautiful. They called themselves "White".

They then enslaved people with brown skin and (I'm assuming this was to make fun of the slaves) saw that some of us could be the darkest shade and decided that we were "Black".

NOTE : I'm not trying to be historically accurate or anything this is just how I'm assuming it went down. This is a theory with little to no evidence but if there are any historians or anything wanting to add to this then go ahead. Maybe my thinking is stupid idk¯_༼ •́ ͜ʖ •̀ ༽_/¯