+99

If we evolved to have any other number of fingers, the Base-10 system probably wouldn't be nearly as popular. amirite?

Openeyess avatar Money & Economics
0 28
The voters have decided that Openeyes is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

All your base belong to us.

Legendnoel77s avatar Legendnoel77 Yeah You Are +14Reply

chernobyl survivor enters the chat

I still think that having measurements based off a system of tens is best. Tens are easily scalable. ie grams to kilograms is a multiplier of ten. Just move the decimal point.

@Crazymotherfuker I still think that having measurements based off a system of tens is best. Tens are easily scalable. ie grams to...

This would work the same way with 12s if it was in base 12. Or anything else in its respective base.

That's how bases work

Unless I'm missing something and you're just generally praising metric

Tanmoykayesens avatar Tanmoykayesen Yeah You Are +8Reply
@Tanmoykayesen This would work the same way with 12s if it was in base 12. Or anything else in its respective base. That's how...

I have a hard time imagining how it would look like. Would base 12 have 12 distinct numbers like 0123456789¥£ and then 10?

Milkzeys avatar Milkzey Yeah You Are +5Reply
@Milkzey I have a hard time imagining how it would look like. Would base 12 have 12 distinct numbers like 0123456789¥£ and...

Yes.

I'm not sure how base twelve enthusiasts do it, but you could keep the names ten and eleven and then use "dozen" or "twelve" for 10 (this is not a base ten ten, it's a base twelve dozen.)

"one two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven dozen dozen-one dozen-two dozen-three" etc.

I think some people have come up with symbols that they like to use for ten and eleven.

miraclerandys avatar miraclerandy Yeah You Are +10Reply
@miraclerandy Yes. I'm not sure how base twelve enthusiasts do it, but you could keep the names ten and eleven and then use...

The common way is to just use letters. In hexadecimal (base-16) for example, we go 0123456789ABCDEF. And then you end up with perfectly valid numbers like FAC (f hundred aty-c).

Thatoneduderyans avatar Thatoneduderyan Yeah You Are +8Reply
@Thatoneduderyan The common way is to just use letters. In hexadecimal (base-16) for example, we go 0123456789ABCDEF. And then you...

I love pronouncing hex numbers like that to colleagues. Always throws them for a loop.

Also, FAC you, too, man! 😡

Metric is designed around decimal because that's what a vast majority of people use.

If the most common base was hexadecimal, metric would be designed to easily convert in there.

Iapetus-11s avatar Iapetus-11 Yeah You Are +4Reply

Bro.

jodzdzownicas avatar jodzdzownica Yeah You Are +8Reply

So you've been reading Project Hail Mary….

But... it's always base-10 ...

If we hadn't invented shoes, we might be base-20

GnarlyStarwins avatar GnarlyStarwin Yeah You Are +4Reply

I read up somewhere that a base 12 system qould simplify a lot of things

capamericasurs avatar capamericasur Yeah You Are +4Reply
@capamericasur I read up somewhere that a base 12 system qould simplify a lot of things

Many civilisations used base-12, and we even still do - for time. Older measurement systems often used base 12 too - easy to divide, easy for anyone to learn and talk about... The French tried to push decimal metric system for time too, but that never caught on.

Framie1s avatar Framie1 Yeah You Are +2Reply

In ancient Sumeria the base count was 24. You would use your thumb to count each of the 3 segments of each finger.

Tanmoykayesens avatar Tanmoykayesen Yeah You Are +3Reply

So if an alien civilization with an alternative number of limbs exists, it would probably use a base-x system based on their number of limbs. That's awesome!

freq432s avatar freq432 Yeah You Are +3Reply