+99

If we colonise Mars, every country on Earth will become a 1st world country, amirite?

MikewithdeTs avatar History
0 23
The voters have decided that MikewithdeT is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

3rd world countries are not what you think they are.
A third world country is one that was not aligned with NATO or the Warsaw Pact.

*when
patriotic human music plays

Framie1s avatar Framie1 Yeah You Are +7Reply

"The Third World" was a term coined to identify countries not allied with Nato or The Warsaw pact, respectively. It's for this reason, most people use the term developing country for countries that fell into the "third world" category. I'm not sure how colonizing Mars would change the designations of countries on Earth.

freq432s avatar freq432 Yeah You Are +7Reply

Did you know humanity has a deadline? If we aren't off earth by a certain date, the aliens we have a galactic contract with will exterminate us.

Iapetus-11s avatar Iapetus-11 Yeah You Are +7Reply
@Iapetus-11 Did you know humanity has a deadline? If we aren't off earth by a certain date, the aliens we have a galactic...

Well I mean the plans for the intergalactic bypass have been on display for the last 9 months

jodzdzownicas avatar jodzdzownica Yeah You Are +6Reply

In what way? I mean, first world country means it's capitalist country. I doubt China will go that route because MARS.

@Milkzey In what way? I mean, first world country means it's capitalist country. I doubt China will go that route because MARS.

I don't even know where to begin with that statement, the developing/emerging/developed index has nothing to do with economic system and everything to do with median income. In fact if anything, the lower end of the developed nations is full of examples of capitalist nations whereas the upper end of the developed countries feature socialist countries.

As for the idea that China isn't capitalist, i think the Shanghai stock exchange would like a word.

The reality is nobody is going that way because setting up permanent residence on mars is just stupid and impracticle.

@Shiny244 I don't even know where to begin with that statement, the developing/emerging/developed index has nothing to do...

Terms like first, second and third country represent socio-economic system. It has nothing to do with development or wealth. It's a cold war term for capitalist (first world), communist (second world) and independent (third world).

Mars commercials be like:
Support starving children from 1st words countries!

Chocolates will be nationalised

miraclerandys avatar miraclerandy Yeah You Are +6Reply

That's not how it works

Why on Earth would anyone live on Mars? Imagine Antarctica with no air and replace the snow with a toxic red desert, with planet-wide dust storms that can erode metal.

It will only be used for mining, scientific and military research by governments, and tourism for the filthy rich... that's about it.

jodzdzownicas avatar jodzdzownica Yeah You Are +5Reply

No, mars will become the 4th world.

GnarlyStarwins avatar GnarlyStarwin Yeah You Are +4Reply

Actually the 1st, 2nd and third world countries would all stay the same. It refers to countries during the war-

The First World consisted of the U.S., Western Europe and their allies. The Second World was the so-called Communist Bloc: the Soviet Union, China, Cuba and friends. The remaining nations, which aligned with neither group, were assigned to the Third World.