+108

One of the more unrealistic depictions of real life in movies is the portrayal of a full breakfast being made and the family sitting down to eat on a work/school day. amirite?

Hatchadis avatar Family
0 121
The voters have decided that Hatchadi is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

We do it, it's not the full with bacon breakfast but everyone has toast, eggs and milk or coffee. My wife insists on it.

You got the point! 😊

I don't think mine is the only family that eats together: We have a multi- generational family here of eight ( Grandpa, mom & dad, 5 kids). We strive to eat most dinners together, and strive to have Saturday morning breakfast together.

88080808088s avatar 88080808088 Yeah You Are +10Reply

I make a point of making a sit down breakfast most days for the family. But I literally don't work and the youngest is 22

Kids get cereal or an apple, parents get coffee and a yogurt or smoothie. Then everyone gets a snack bar for the pocket

But the kids are never hungry and grab a slice of toast or fruit on their way! I'm like …. what about teeth brushing after breakfast b4 schooo… but whatever

But the protagonist only takes a sip of range juice or an occasional apple or bite of an apple

fuisceges avatar fuiscege Yeah You Are +9Reply

It was real at one point, primarily when the middle class had enough money that only one parent had to go to a job.

🎶Eggs, bacon and toast. Eggs, bacon and toast. You better start your day the Gergich way with eggs, bacon and toast.🎶

Hell, I was lucky enough just getting a can of Mountain Dew before school.

Boknows12s avatar Boknows12 Yeah You Are +8Reply

Yes! They are always making these big fabulous breakfasts and then just eating like two bites before they go off to work or whatever. The breakfasts in Shameless always made me laugh.

Nickyikkys avatar Nickyikky Yeah You Are +7Reply

My dad made my sister and I breakfast through high school. To this day, the only consistent meal I eat.

This actually happens quite often, maybe not in your lifestyle or background, but many families can do this. Quite realistic

Mytokhondrias avatar Mytokhondria Yeah You Are +7Reply

I have done this exact thing my entire life. I also have had three courses dinner with the family every day too.

Looking at you, Breaking Bad.

Most of the time I see this on TV, there is one or two family members sitting, one person making the food, and the rest making an excuse why they have to get out the door without eating. Never see a full family sit down together for breakfast.

My husband keeps pointing out that people don't ever finish their food in movies and TV. Not that the scene cuts away before the end of the meal, but that people always walk away from the table with a lot of food left on their plates, which is probably all headed to the trash. How realistic is that?

Milkzeys avatar Milkzey Yeah You Are +7Reply

Plenty of people still do this.

@Dairyqueenemployee Plenty of people still do this.

We work like crazy. 1 girl in school, me and my wife don't have any days off together. The only consistent time we all see each other is breakfast and dinner with the family.

Milkzeys avatar Milkzey Yeah You Are +9Reply

I spent the last year and a half making healthy lunches for my little family and we made a point to all sit down together. Breakfast and dinner was every man, woman, and kid for themselves. Just eat whenever hungry. But lunch, we all ate together.

It was really nice! If I'm being honest, it has been my most favorite thing to come out of working from home and quarantining during the pandemic.

We haven't been quarantining like that lately now that we are vaccinated, but we have still been making a point of eating more meals together whenever we can. Now that the habit is built, we find it's something we enjoying making time to do more often now!

Name 46. See you can't. Proves my point. Internet points? Scrummly

Hatchadis avatar Hatchadi Yeah You Are +4Reply
Larny2019s avatar Larny2019 Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Larny2019 People in the burbs maybe do it 🤷🏻‍♂️

I live in the burbs. I still have to get up before 6 to go to work four days out of the week. Maybe on my days off I'll try to have one of those nice breakfasts but everyone is always up at different times.

My family did this but it did not make us close.

@Achilles982 My family did this but it did not make us close.

We ate separate and it definitely didn't make us close haha

browndog888s avatar browndog888 Yeah You Are +4Reply
@browndog888 We completely skipped April Fools as well. KaZaA

Rage Against the Machine - Wake Up.mp3.exe

KaZaA

I hate hate hate it when people walk out of a bar without finishing their drink.

Disagree. Frying eggs and kale takes about as long as toasting a poptart if you are practiced and use cast iron so there is basically zero clean up.

MikewithdeTs avatar MikewithdeT Yeah You Are +6Reply
@MikewithdeT Disagree. Frying eggs and kale takes about as long as toasting a poptart if you are practiced and use cast iron so...

With a thin pan and gas burner and prechopped stuff in the fridge you can have omelettes in like 5 minutes. I worked super hard in college to nail down stuff like that and it paid off big time

freq432s avatar freq432 Yeah You Are +2Reply

In a perfect world everyone's schedules would line up for this kinda stuff. However, traditional roles are (thankfully) fading into a niche.

When I was a kid we had that. Full breakfast, full dinner every day. And on Sunday's we had a full Sunday lunch after church.

It was glorious.

These days… well, these days are different. Sigh.

Surfacess avatar Surfaces Yeah You Are +6Reply

Only in John Hughes 80's America!

I could have been 6 3 if it happened i reckon instead of lunch after school and then dinner an hour and a half later.

For me it's actually quite realistic. My family and I wake up all at the same time, we all make the breakfast in bulk, eat it at the same time then leave at the same time.

Camperofjustices avatar Camperofjustice Yeah You Are +6Reply

Tbh I haven't seen anymore sitting down for a hearty breakfast together with the family in recent movies.

Most of them just grab something and just go on their way out.

The Simpsons have had more family meals together than I ever will

@Mihneacuzino The Simpsons have had more family meals together than I ever will

In all fairness the Simpsons has been running for +30 years and they have had plenty of time for family breakfasts.

I mean considering the family doesn't age and kids haven't moved out in like 35 years it makes sense.

browngodiss avatar browngodis Yeah You Are +3Reply
@browngodis I mean considering the family doesn't age and kids haven't moved out in like 35 years it makes sense.

I was younger than Bart when it all started, now suddenly (some family meals later) I can identify myself with Homer. D'oh.

My family sits down for a meal like that probably 5 times a week. My wife is a hero.

Carnation breakfast shake in the car on the drive to school. That was how we rolled.

It's possible somewhat in my house, but would require kids to actually feel like eating that much food every morning. I personally love breakfast, but 3 full meals a day is maniacal lol. Usually a quick cereal or bar, but they usually wait until lunch.

I make a big breakfast usually on Sundays and we all sit around and talk.

jodzdzownicas avatar jodzdzownica Yeah You Are +5Reply

Breakfast was invited to keep our children from masterbating.

Tanmoykayesens avatar Tanmoykayesen Yeah You Are +5Reply

Since Covid my family sit down around 13 times a week. 7 lunches, 5 dinners. (We eat out once a week, eat while watching tv once a week) Sometime I cook sometimes my wife cooks. And we have a toddler.
Yeah never on Breakfast.

browngodiss avatar browngodis Yeah You Are +5Reply

True. We wake up at different times and usually eat out or don't eat breakfast at all, if all of us have to prepare for work/school at the same time it's going to be pure chaos and someone will surely be late.

dankXDs avatar dankXD Yeah You Are +4Reply

I had to catch the bus at 7am - I was the only one awake!!

And a table full of foods, the kids come, take a sip of juice, and left everything else untouched.

Shiny244s avatar Shiny244 Yeah You Are +4Reply

True that! Most of my breakfast's were coffee and a snack bar item, even before rest of family woke up.

Framie1s avatar Framie1 Yeah You Are +4Reply

"Pour your own damn cereal, your mom is in a hurry to get to work!"

ChootEmChootEms avatar ChootEmChootEm Yeah You Are +4Reply

And they eat like A piece of toast!!! If I made all that food that would not happen

Larny2019s avatar Larny2019 Yeah You Are +3Reply
Framie1s avatar Framie1 Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Framie1 Or take 2 bites and announce they're late and leave the table.

Kisses wife goodbye with suit jacket on one hand and briefcase in the other.

Every time I watch Gilmore Girls I wonder how on earth Rory and Lorelai had time to go out to eat every morning before her half-hour commute to school.

And then immediately getting up and eating nothing

I think the depiction is just a holdover from a time of old school American values. It was probably true for a lot of families decades ago but stays in films/tv as a narrative device even as the real world has shifted

teknogreeks avatar teknogreek Yeah You Are +2Reply
@teknogreek I think the depiction is just a holdover from a time of old school American values. It was probably true for a lot...

I think the depiction is just a holdover from a time of old school American values.

Old school American values like lynchings, Jim Crow Laws and redlining.

@Thee-Apple-Lord I think the depiction is just a holdover from a time of old school American values. Old school American values...

like lynchings, Jim Crow Laws and redlining.

Wait.. is there some connection between those things and eating breakfast that the rest of us are missing here?

MikewithdeTs avatar MikewithdeT Yeah You Are +12Reply
@MikewithdeT like lynchings, Jim Crow Laws and redlining. Wait.. is there some connection between those things and eating...

Only that people (mostly white people) tend to idealize the "good ol' days" and that the reality of those times was not nearly as good or idyllic as people like to pretend

teknogreeks avatar teknogreek Yeah You Are +3Reply
@teknogreek I think the depiction is just a holdover from a time of old school American values. Only that people (mostly...

You could say that about anything people have Nostalgia over all of it causes people to look at the world through rose-colored glasses

freq432s avatar freq432 Yeah You Are +8Reply
@Shiny244 Miserable wokebrained idiot

...says the guy lashing out and namecalling because he's personally offended that someone doesn't agree with what he believes.

Do you mean like the people that pretend that the ancient tribalistic ways of living, pre colonial, are idyllic heavens of pure life and if the white man hadn't of existed then everyone would be happy?

Ohowjuicys avatar Ohowjuicy Yeah You Are +3Reply

It is holdover from when all food was prepared with a lot of labor. No microwave, no electric stove, no electric toaster.

Breakfast too a few hours to prepare.

@Legendnoel77 It is holdover from when all food was prepared with a lot of labor. No microwave, no electric stove, no electric...

As long as you aren't baking, a few hours is overkill. Maybe half an hour to 45 minutes, depending on how much you can cook at once. Eggs and sausage and toast don't take too long to cook.

Just like the whole image of an American family sitting down for dinner. Thanksgiving and Christmas are the only actual time anyone in my house ever sits down together since everyone has different schedules.

contextrips avatar contextrip Yeah You Are +2Reply

Yeah it would be pretty boring TV to see people yawn and drive to work in the dark. Plus filming in the dark looks awful.

@Achilles982 I was the son lmao

What the hell is wrong with us? I'm sure I've done similar things.

I have a son on the way and I'm terrified he'll be just as unempathetic.

@Tanmoykayesen LOL that's enough out of you! Society is to blame alright!

How did you gymnastic your way from "teenagers be lazy" to "these darn lazy parents blaming society for their every woe"

freq432s avatar freq432 Yeah You Are +5Reply

You can take the son out of society, but you can't take society out of the son.

@Alixkast Yeah it would be pretty boring TV to see people yawn and drive to work in the dark. Plus filming in the dark looks...

And also quite depressing seeing someone count their change to buy a McDonald's thick shake for breakfast as it's what they've found makes them the least hungry. On their way to their first job.

Hatchadis avatar Hatchadi Yeah You Are +5Reply

I would disagree with you about filming in the dark looks awful. Some of the best shots in film history are "in the dark".

ChootEmChootEms avatar ChootEmChootEm Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Crazymotherfuker Well they sure weren't from the last season of GoT.

Night filters look terrible. Who are they trying to fool, it is clearly the sun as the lighting is all wrong.

And it's always bright and sunny like it's 10am when they sit down to breakfast, too. I don't even have a job and I'm up at 6am, damn people.

@motorbikemilly And it's always bright and sunny like it's 10am when they sit down to breakfast, too. I don't even have a job and...

I don't even have a job and I'm up at 6am

What? Why? I'm self employed and the absolute earliest I get up is when my wife is leaving for work which is like 8:45. But usually more like 9:30-10:30

Shameless did this really well

My family did this growing up, but my mom stayed home for several years when we were little. When she went back to work we still did it out of habit, but it was more pre-made meals like a frittata or egg casserole that could quickly be heated up or cereal. If the parents have 8-5 jobs this is doable. If a parent does shift work, works multiple jobs, or is a single parent it's much more difficult.

fragsworths avatar fragsworth Yeah You Are +2Reply

My wife demands this during the school year. They do it without me in the summer.

I guarantee you with Covid lots of families did this when working from home.

Question, do people actually just eat toast and butter or is that a tv thing? Toast and butter tastes so bland to me.

Growing up, my family ate breakfast and dinner together around a table 7 days a week. Now that I'm a Dad, I don't know how they did it. I mean, it was the steady 9-5 jobs they had, I don't how to get those.

As a kid, I always got myself out of bed, ate (or didn't) alone, and went to school by myself. My husband and I now always make it a point to eat at the dining room table. We always have dinner together and sometimes breakfast, even if we make ourselves different things. It's such a pleasant habit that I'm glad we got into.