+117

Spelling Bees only exist because of how flawed the English language is. amirite?

Plastic_Island3688s avatar Language
0 21
The voters have decided that Plastic_Island3688 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Not flawed, just eclectic, diverse, versatile, and infinitely extensible. And therefore sometimes really hard. You take the good with the bad. True that spelling bees probably exist because our vocabulary is borrowed from several other languages. Not a flaw. Awesomely utilitarian and inclusive. Also I find it funny how so many English speakers who don't speak any other languages often decry it for being flawed to sound smart, give a one sided critique without counter arguments, but also insist every else speaks it.

Now I wonder if German have Spelling Bee competition too

@Hatchadi Now I wonder if German have Spelling Bee competition too

I wouldn't think so. English is my first language and I'm still bad at spelling it. But German makes more sense in spelling and I haven't struggled with it because like 99% of words are spelled how they sound or I'm saying them wrong.

oh bro, you haven't seen french spelling bees…some of the language was invented cuz some monks got lazy

jodzdzownicas avatar jodzdzownica Yeah You Are +5Reply

How?

Mihneacuzinos avatar Mihneacuzino Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Mihneacuzino How?

How do they exist or how is it flawed?

@Tanmoykayesen How do they exist or how is it flawed?

How does a spelling bee prove it's flawed?

88080808088s avatar 88080808088 Yeah You Are +8Reply

My
daughter
bought her
otter water
wings.

Thee-Apple-Lords avatar Thee-Apple-Lord Yeah You Are +4Reply
@Thee-Apple-Lord My daughter bought her otter water wings.

Don't know what that's supposed to prove, but nice rhyme. Try rhyming about etymology.

@LookAnAltAccount Don't know what that's supposed to prove, but nice rhyme. Try rhyming about etymology.

4 different spellings produce the same sound.

Aught

Ought

Ott

Wat

The flaw is the inconsistency. We pull words from multiple places of orgin, and that causes meanings and spellings from other words to clash and contradict.

@KilljoyX 4 different spellings produce the same sound. Aught Ought Ott Wat The flaw is the inconsistency. We pull words...

4 different spellings produce the same sound

And each word has its own spelling assigned to it. It's not a flaw lol

Mrtechnohawks avatar Mrtechnohawk Yeah You Are +4Reply
@Mrtechnohawk 4 different spellings produce the same sound And each word has its own spelling assigned to it. It's not a flaw lol

it is when your in a spelling bee because you can only hear the word, there are no affordances in telling which word it will be unless you memorise, in other languages it makes more sense trust me that is why there are only really English spelling bees

Larny2019s avatar Larny2019 Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Larny2019 it is when your in a spelling bee because you can only hear the word, there are no affordances in telling which...

it is when your in a spelling bee because you can only hear the word, there are no affordances in telling which word it will be unless you memorise

That's literally the point of a spelling bee, to know which spelling is the correct one...

swiggybabys avatar swiggybaby Yeah You Are +5Reply
@swiggybaby it is when your in a spelling bee because you can only hear the word, there are no affordances in telling which...

yes exactly, in any other language there is no guessing, every word is too obvious because of the more predictable spelling system, the point of the spelling bee proves the ops point

@Mihneacuzino How?

Try a Spanish spelling bee.

It's not the English language that's screwed up.

It's that the orthography is insufficiently standardized.
There should be only one way to spell each sound and only one way to pronounce each spelling.

NOT, for example, things like
through
though
tough
cough
plough
etc.