+200

Most people who argue against the words of the Bible, the Qu'ran, or other religious texts probably haven't even read them, amirite?

JLoves avatar
3 28
The voters have decided that JLove is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Lots of people who argue FOR them haven't read them

No, I don't think that's true. Maybe they read it and decided that they do not believe the events described to be true.

In fact, some atheists know religious texts better than religious people do because they're into theology without neccessarily believeing in it (like how some people are into Greco-Roman myths but do not worship Greco-Roman gods).

That said, I agree that it is pretty silly to make uneducated arguments about anything. If you don't know why you back something, then why back it? Do some research to justify your claims and then you'll feel more empowered to defend your position.

SalientKs avatar SalientK No Way +11Reply
@1476755

How can you possibly know that for a fact? I read the Bible cover to cover when I first contemplated atheism. I also took a theology class in college, as well as did several other atheists I know. I've definitely known more "educated" atheists than those who talk out of their ass. Maybe you haven't, but I don't think that's enough to state that as a fact. :/

@1478140

That's my whole point, though. Neither of us should state that as a fact.

@1476755

Plenty of Christians have never read the Bible but talk about it like they have. Everything they know about it they learn from somewhere else, just like most people who do not choose to be Christians. It goes both ways really.

@1476912

The downside of just googling stuff is people on the internet can pretty much make any bible verse many anything when taken out of context.

@1476755

That can be said towards any religion and any book. I'm a Christian, and I've read the Bible. I've also read books about science, Darwinism, and the Qu'ran.

__________s avatar __________ Yeah You Are +1Reply

I'm rather offended by this, as an agnostic atheist who has read multiple versions of the Bible and learned arabic primarily to be able to read the Qu'ran in it's native language, to avoid bias (amazing language, by the way). I have also read multiple translations of the Torah. I have also read "On the Origin of Species" and Darwin's other books, as well as many others. Personally, I've come to the conclusion people spend too much time fighting, arguing, and worrying about abstract concepts that are all just guesses anyway, instead of focusing on true problems such as poverty, which almost all religions agree is bad.

People who have different opinions on what I believe must just be uneducated.

That is what I got from this post.

Not true. I've read a good portion of the Bible because I go to a Catholic school and the more of it I read the more I find it ridiculous.

Ironically enough, I walked into that school freshman year believing in God and here I am today, an atheist...

I find religious texts to be very interesting, so yes I've read them. I've also been going to a Catholic school my entire life, so even if I wasn't interested I'd have to read the Bible for Religion class etc. I don't even believe in God (although I believe he does exist for those who believe in him . . . I know, it's weird), and yet I take the time to have conversations with my religion teachers and most of the people in my Religion classes come to me to ask questions about religion and philosophy simply because I know more about it than they really care to. The argument can really go both ways, so why even bother?

I wish this was true. It would make arguing a whole lot more easy.

The fact is that they are pretty boring books to read. No real sense of tension or pacing. The only reason I can think of to read them in their entirety is if it is part of your religion, in which case you obviously wouldn't argue against them. Most people who don't share that faith don't care enough to sit down and read it cover to cover.

NO! YOU CAN'T MENTION THE QU'RAN! NOW WE'RE ALL GONNA GET BLOWN UP!

@chicken NO! YOU CAN'T MENTION THE QU'RAN! NOW WE'RE ALL GONNA GET BLOWN UP!

...Did you seriously just say that? People like you are the reason all the prejudice won't end.

I argue against them and I have read them. People who believe in the bible suffer from what social psychologist describe as the false consensus effect. You think everybody thinks about things the same way you do and believe that those who don't are weird, different, or even stupid.

I hate to break it to you, but one day 2000 years from now, some idiot will find an old sports illustrated magazine and think that Kobe Bryant is jesus and think that anybody who doesn't agree, probably hasn't read the "bible"

@I argue against them and I have read them. People who believe in the bible suffer from what social psychologist...

As an agnostic, I'm not a strong supporter of either side of the religion vs. science debate. But it does bug me quite a lot when people make uneducated arguments, no matter what they're arguing.

JLoves avatar JLove Yeah You Are +14Reply
@JLove As an agnostic, I'm not a strong supporter of either side of the religion vs. science debate. But it does bug me...

are you accusing me of making uneducated arguments? most people are uneducated about everything and even the educated people are still morons. you can't be mad at society for being stupid anymore than you can be mad at a puppy for shitting on the carpet and rolling in it.

@are you accusing me of making uneducated arguments? most people are uneducated about everything and even the...

I'm not accusing any specific person of anything. Sorry if you interpreted it that way.

JLoves avatar JLove Yeah You Are 0Reply