+120 Grandparents want grandchildren for the same reason children want pets: all of the fun and none of the responsibility. amirite?

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Grandparents need someone to take all the werther's originals

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Whoa.. who's out here giving old folk Werther's Originals?

by Anonymous 1 year ago

They get them from the underground bingo ring, the werthers wrappers are the ticket inside

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Werthers original are I n f i n i t e

by Anonymous 1 year ago

I used to get called old for eating Werther's when I was 18-20. They taste sooo good.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

You have been granted eternal life

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Werther's Originals and those Strawberry Hard Candies that only old people have. I legit have NEVER seen them in any store (before online shopping).

by Anonymous 1 year ago

You can get the strawberry ones from dollar stores like Dollar Tree.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Grandparents need someone else to teach (ideally a VERY impressionable child) their ideologies to before they die.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

I heard a good quote a while a go. "If you spoil your children you'll have to raise your grandchildren but if you raise your children you'll be able to spoil your grandchildren."

by Anonymous 1 year ago

"If you have ugly children, start breeding animals". Sorry, I needed to add that little clause.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

But then they'll breed ugly animals and we'll end up with another version of the pug

by Anonymous 1 year ago

But then you will have to raise your great grandchildren

by Anonymous 1 year ago

That's some great insight

by Anonymous 1 year ago

I was my Grandma's All Fun No Responsibility granddaughter till I lived with her for a semester for one of my placements and she found out that under the good grades, great career, nice kid presentation, there was a slutty pothead alcoholic bisexual opinionated feminist and all of a sudden having grandkids wasn't so fun

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Or maybe having and raising children was the best part of their lives and they want that for their kids too.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

No, raising kids is hell! humans are wired to forget the bad parts later on... can't have another explanation.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

I'm going through some bad parts right now. Still worth it

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Exactly.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Yeah and when they get whiny and annoying they can just pass them back off too, when they're solely your children you cant do that.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Yes! Exactly. Plus, who doesn't love more access to babies?

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Lots of people

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Uhmm... ✋️

by Anonymous 1 year ago

That could have been worded better... Right?

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Oh it's perfectly rational for grandparents to want grandchildren. Just like it's perfectly rational for you to want your best friend to get a boat.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Sounds like someone has got lazy parents. Most grandparents I know are really helpfull - except the crazy ones.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Or maybe it's the core need to propagate the species.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Please. That isn't even remotely a concern

by Anonymous 1 year ago

I know several who are obsessed with continuing the daily lineage or making sure the last name continues. Shoot, look at how China overwhelmingly handled its one child policy.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Some grandparents raise their daughters kids.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Why only daughters? Grandparents raise their son's kids just as frequently.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Hah yeah sorry, just speaking from personal experience, it can be sons too, though it's much rarer that fathers will hand over their kids to their grandmothers as far as i can tell since it's much harder for a man to gain custody of a child in the first place, if they win custody they usually tend to keep the kid around.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

once.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

And your point? We've gotten away from the extended family where multiple generations raised kids. That's not necessarily a good thing.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Its not a bad thing either. I look forward to raising grands one day. I know its not something everyone looks forward to.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

it's so they don't feel they have waisted thier lives. and the family continues.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Actually you just want to fulfill your evolutionary duty

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Well I was raised mostly by my grandparents. They are very special to me

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Technically, don't all grandparents have grandchildren?

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Likely unpopular opinion here. First grandchild last year. While i dearly loved and enjoyed my own kids and raising them through good and bad, i never got the obsession with grandchildren and after having one, that hasn't changed. Nice? Sure. Supercrazyincrediblyawesome? Nah. I think many perceive them as a ticket to immortality, as in ok, now at least my genes are (reasonably) sure to survive after i am dead.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

This is also why I am only an aunt...although I didn't have to "encourage" my sisters to have kids. They did it against my advice!

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Same reason I want

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Well then.. Lucky that I wasn't wanted

by Anonymous 1 year ago

My Mom used to say her grandkids always looked so cute driving away back home.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Yeah I think OP needs to be taken for a walk. He's getting cranky.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

SNL did a hilarious sketch recently on this (Home Goods ad)

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Exactly. Although you gotta make good kids first. Raise good kids, spoil the grandkids. Don't raise good kids, raise the grandkids.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Maybe in USA but in India they take care of the grandchildren better than the parents.8

by Anonymous 1 year ago

My mom took it pretty hard when it finally dawned on her that I'm not having kids. It's not that I'm totally against the idea. It's that "one day, when I have more money" turned out to never happen and I'm 32 now. I do wish I could have children, but only because I want someone there with me when I'm on my deathbed. All the other parts like letting go of your personal life and free money seem very undesirable to me

by Anonymous 1 year ago

You say that like it's a bad thing.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Maybe they're thinking they went to all the trouble of raising kids and what was the point if their kids don't have kids, and hurry up cos they don't want to die not knowing if it will happen.

by Anonymous 1 year ago