+113

Since quantum particles do not really snap into existence until observed, a tree falling in a forest without an observer present would not make a sound. amirite?

MetalDevils avatar Science
0 15
The voters have decided that MetalDevil is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

you're trying to apply quantum physics to non-quantum stuff.

Mrtechnohawks avatar Mrtechnohawk Yeah You Are +10Reply
@MetalDevil Is not everything a sum of the quantum?

yes, but when things get big enough it doesn't matter anymore.

"If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics." Dr. Feynman.

Not how that works

@sharmaji1301 "If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics." Dr. Feynman. Not how...

"I like to think that the moon is there even if I am not looking at it." -Albert Einstein (while dismissing the ideas of quantum mechanics)

MetalDevils avatar MetalDevil Yeah You Are +3Reply
@MetalDevil "I like to think that the moon is there even if I am not looking at it." -Albert Einstein (while dismissing the...

He wasn't dismissing all of quantum mechanics. He was dismissing quantum indeterminacy. He also happened to be wrong. And we don't yet understand everything about quantum mechanics.

Einstein was a genius but he wasn't infallible. We've learned a lot since his day.

If there is no observer, how would we know if the tree has actually fallen or if it's still standing?

So....would the existent/non existent observer make a sound?

Just to clarify

Apartlavishnesss avatar Apartlavishness Yeah You Are +6Reply

It causes waves, though not interpreted as a pitch, they still move the air

I would agree that it doesn't make a sound, but not for this reason.

Other trees aren't observers?

Just because one didn't see it happen, doesn't mean it didn't happen.