+97 Therapists are hierarchy obsessed assholes, yet suffer from the delusion that they are altruists. amirite?

by Anonymous 1 year ago

'Displacement' is a term used when a therapy patient becomes angry with something besides the problem they are attempting to deal with. Often the anger is directed at the therapist, but it could be directed at someone else.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Yep

by Anonymous 1 year ago

With dogs we call that redirection.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

With cats, we call it 'daily.'

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Gottem.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Labels like these are convenient ways for therapists to avoid criticism. I've never seen a profession so resistant to feedback.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Loads of issues here. We'll start with projection.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Again, it's easy to float labels like that around to avoid criticism.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Sounds like you dont like your therapist. There are good ones out there too.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Someone needs some therapy

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Who ever said they are altruists? They work for a living. Doesn't mean they don't care, but it's def not altruism and was never meant to be.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Right... so I'm not gonna say all therapists are good. I'm sure there are some out there that are genuinely assholes. But you do have the option to switch to another. I fail to see the connection between therapists and "hierarchy" however. What hierarchy? Are they trying to make you salute them? I feel like you may just be upset at YOUR therapist for getting different results or suggestions than what you went looking for.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

I've been to a few that brag about successful patients, and I've talked to other people online who've been treated horribly by therapists simply because they didn't have those generic success markers that therapists love so much.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Some therapists, maybe. Plenty of people seek power over others, and therapists certainly have that. There are some genuinely trying to help people, though. That doesn't make them altruists; no one is truly altruistic, but some choose to prioritize helping others nonetheless.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

What's Therapy and Altruism got to do with anything.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Exactly.

by Anonymous 1 year ago