+142 Books and Movies that take place in the future cannot be confirmed as fiction until their respective dates pass, amirite?

by Anonymous 1 year ago

In this case, books and movies set in alternate universes cannot be proven fiction unless the infinite multiverse theory is proven false also

by Anonymous 1 year ago

I mean, by infinite multiverse theory, you could even argue fiction set in our universe may actually be non-fiction from another universe.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Yes, if there are infinite multiverses there will be one where each work of fiction is real and actually happening. If it's infinite literally everything happens somewhere.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Infinite combinations doesn't mean every option exists, there are infinite numbers between 1 and 2, but none of them are 3

by Anonymous 1 year ago

In another universe instead of going 123 they go 132

by Anonymous 1 year ago

In that case 2 is the same as our three, and there is an infinity of numbers between 1 and 3, but none of them are 2. In other words, even in an infinity of universes, logical impossibilities cannot exist. In yet other words, even with infinite universes, there is an even larger set of universes that cannot exist.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

While this is true, the example doesn't really work here as it's set to be specifically between 1 and 2, limiting the possibilities

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Right, but in an infinite multiverse, it could have a limiting possibility. For instance, there could be an infinite multiverse, but they must all follow the same laws of physics, so harry potter and the xmen don't exist in any possible universe, which is what most people say when they say "not every option exists."

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Sure, although there is no way to confirm that the law of physics apply the same in other universes. (I am not saying that it's possible) only saying that there is a chance that physics work a bit different throughout the multiverse

by Anonymous 1 year ago

I agree there's likely no way to know for sure, just saying that the 1,2,3 example is a really good one.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Technology so advanced it would be indispensable from magic could be a potential explanation to other universe having people with X-men powers and flying on brooms

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Except that those universes don't have technology, they're just born with superpowers

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Very good example

by Anonymous 1 year ago

As a mathematician it hurts me when people dont know how infinitity works.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

As a person it hurts me when people punch me.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Same

by Anonymous 1 year ago

There could only be finite universes, or even just one alternative universe, but you'd have to explicitly disprove that universe.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Actually, they cannot be considered as anything BUT fiction until their respective dates pass, and their "predictions" about the future actually come true.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Yeah this makes more sense

by Anonymous 1 year ago

OP said confirmed, not considered. Which is perfectly accurate.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Unless they have flashback which set in our days or past.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Orwell was considered a futorian until 1985.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

It's always fiction because it's made up by people even if it turns out to be true.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Thats what I tell my parents yet they insist the bible is non-fiction..

by Anonymous 1 year ago

That reminds me of my English Composition class back in highschool when we were writing informative papers. A kid asked if he could cite the bible, and the teacher responded "no, you can't quite works of fiction" He was fuming

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Same with Star Wars, it was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, anything could have happened and we wouldn't have known

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Unless they break the laws of physics

by Anonymous 1 year ago

But the laws of physics are never entirely proven as true

by Anonymous 1 year ago

I'll take the 6 sigma 99.99999% accurate tests of the laws of physics as enough for my sakes lol

by Anonymous 1 year ago

especially since some believe that different multiverses could possibly have different laws of physics.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

According to The Three-Body Problem, physics doesn't exists because it's so inconsistent

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Only if the laws of physics broke on their own.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

The tagline of a Futurama episode was "You can't prove it won't happen".

by Anonymous 1 year ago

I agree 1984 is becoming a non fiction book.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

False: Idiocracy is a documentary.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

And if they have a multiverse there is still hope (at least hope for the optimistic ones) for a similar future without having to be bound to that exact timeline

by Anonymous 1 year ago

I'll have what he's having

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Back to the future

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Almost...

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Hahaha this is so smart but so stupid 😭😂

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Sometimes the times it's disproved is funny. I was watching some old sci fi movie the other day, and it was like "it's the year 2005, and humanity has colonized Mars." So many science fiction movies are way overly optimistic about the pace of progress.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

You could technically make a movie about santa resurrecting dinosaurs to take over mars in the year 3203 and call it non fiction. If they ask for proof pull out the innocent till proven guilty card

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Future birthplace of Captain James T. Kirk

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Same with those that take place on another galaxy, such as star wars.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

So this science fiction story I made up myself that takes place thousand years in the future is for now only classed as a science story?

by Anonymous 1 year ago

To quote one of the most underrated shows, Futurama: *You can't prove it won't happen*

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.... Except they're works of *fiction*.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

What

by Anonymous 1 year ago

by Anonymous 1 year ago

A prophecy is fictional until it is not.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Frequently, books and movies set in the future will have, As part of their past, events that have already failed to occur during our present or our past.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

For sure

by Anonymous 1 year ago

it is absolutely fiction even if it would come to pass as described, just as stories based on on past events (like retelling History) are works of fiction.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

That gave me a brain shiver.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Caves of Steel by Asiimov comes to mind

by Anonymous 1 year ago

It can if I wrote something that take place in 2025 and in my book I wrote "in 2020 africa exploded" it's a fiction

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Sword art online 😭

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Yes I also believe everything I read.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

That's why science fiction is popular

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Fiction means someone invented it

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Sad thing is most futuristic movies couldn't even predict anything like a smartphone (Not mobile phone). That's why they must be considered as fiction

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Nope. Fiction until proven real. Otherwise you can't have atheism. And that's not ok for some of these folks. Lol

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Speculative fiction

by Anonymous 1 year ago

I feel like by this logic anything written in the present cannot be confirmed as fiction unless you can prove that it didn't actually happen. Fiction is fiction, unless it's written as an accurate account of the past and labeled as non-fiction then it's fiction. Even if it's a story written about characters that actually existed from the past, set in the correct time and place. If the plot is made up of events that didn't happen then it's fiction.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

History books cannot be confirmed as a history because we can never know 100% what actually happened.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

"Makes book based in 2100 that has zombies taking over space x and going to other universes with space x's vast technology to inhabit of worlds"

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Depends on the backstory. Star Trek is already confirmed as fiction, because the Eugenic Wars didn't happen.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

That's why its called speculative fiction, you genius.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

Unless we prove an infinite multiverse exists, we can still consider it all fiction since nothing would happen exactly like in a book or movie.

by Anonymous 1 year ago

I think future fiction is fiction until proven true.

by Anonymous 1 year ago