+120

if your poor and choose to plant grass in your yard, you are dumb. amirite?

Openeyess avatar Money & Economics
0 32
The voters have decided that Openeyes is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

In my area all the homes have grass lawns, you don't need to go out of your way to create one. It would be more time, effort, and money to dig up the grass and plant other stuff. It's also a nonsensical argument that if you're poor that one hour or so a month is time wasted that could be spent making money. Like, what extra job are you going to get for a single hour a month?

Also, truly poor people generally don't own their own houses! I've rented my entire adult life because I can't afford to buy a house. Because the landlord takes care of mowing, plowing, etc, I've never mowed the lawn once my entire life despite living solely in places with grassy yards.

Vic8760s avatar Vic8760 Yeah You Are +7Reply

Eh. There's grass, I mow it now and then, never water it, never spray it. It lives or dies of its own accord. It would be too expensive to replace, so there it is.

Now, for those people who spend hours and a lot of money making their lawn look nice, yeah that's wasteful. But maybe it's their hobby, who am I to judge? Hobbies are wasteful by definition.

What if you want your kids to play outside? What if they like playing games like football? Hell, what if you like playing football?

@404ChompyNotFound What if you want your kids to play outside? What if they like playing games like football? Hell, what if you like...

Dont need grass for that. Dirt works fine. Or even a different plant like purple thyme(which smells great)

Openeyess avatar Openeyes Yeah You Are +6Reply
@Openeyes Dont need grass for that. Dirt works fine. Or even a different plant like purple thyme(which smells great)

Dirt will become either hard or muddy. So no.

I was gonna disagree on thyme, but, thanks to you, discovered some varieties which cover the ground much like grass does. Cool stuff!

One hour or so of mowing every week or two (not even for the whole year) really isn't that much time, and it's part of maintaining a home. Also grass seed is incredibly inexpensive, and sod is pretty cheap. Not every waking moment needs to be spent making money

Mytokhondrias avatar Mytokhondria Yeah You Are +5Reply
@Mytokhondria One hour or so of mowing every week or two (not even for the whole year) really isn't that much time, and it's part...

Its only part of maintaining a home if you have grass, but if your lawn was made of thyme instead of grass, you wouldn't have to mow it, because it thrives on neglect, its soft to the feet, string enough to be drove on with heavy tread, its lush and thick, but never grows to long (gets to about 2-3 inches tall)
And it smells great.

And sure not every moment needs to be spent making money, but their are better things to do than push a bolder up a hill for the rest of your life, until you die and make it someone else's problem.

Openeyess avatar Openeyes Yeah You Are +3Reply

It helps the soil and helps with ground water retention.

Milkzeys avatar Milkzey Yeah You Are +5Reply
@Openeyes Not the only plant that does that.

Sure, but that is a pretty strong condemnation of people or a plant based solely on feudalism. You could say the same thing for growing wheat or barely.

dankXDs avatar dankXD Yeah You Are +4Reply
@dankXD Sure, but that is a pretty strong condemnation of people or a plant based solely on feudalism. You could say the...

Except wheat and barley is way better, bc you can eat it and it taste good, grass just sits their being green color.

Openeyess avatar Openeyes Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Openeyes Except wheat and barley is way better, bc you can eat it and it taste good, grass just sits their being green color.

It traps CO2, decreases temperature around the property, improves flood control, prevents erosion, reduces noise pollution, and improves water quality. It isn't just "sitting there (that was your spelling error) being green in color."

@Effectlive97 It traps CO2, decreases temperature around the property, improves flood control, prevents erosion, reduces noise...

Your pretty much describing all plants that could be used for lawns. But its more complex than that.
Grass releases co2 when its mowed or eaten.
Also The benefits are often outweighed by the heavy carbon cost of maintaining of the lawns.

So boulders up a hill.

Openeyess avatar Openeyes Yeah You Are +1Reply

I mow my lawn every other weekend, takes me 30 minutes. 1 hour a month is reasonable to me.

@Tldfonat I mow my lawn every other weekend, takes me 30 minutes. 1 hour a month is reasonable to me.

The typical life span of a human is around 70ish, which means 864 hrs of your life is spent mowing grass.

The cool thing about grass is that it's generally already there, you don't have to plant it

Kionixs avatar Kionix Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Kionix The cool thing about grass is that it's generally already there, you don't have to plant it

But they arnt natural to the area, most of the grass we plant like "Kentucky blue grass" id native to Europe. Its an invasive species, which means if its already there its bc someone put it there, or around there and it spread.

I have areas around my house that used to be forest they got cut down and now its just dirt fields.

Openeyess avatar Openeyes Yeah You Are +7Reply

Used to make money?? This has major Andrew tate vibes rofl.

Larny2019s avatar Larny2019 Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Larny2019 Used to make money?? This has major Andrew tate vibes rofl.

I don't really care for Tate, and making money was just one example, you could also use the time for entertainment.

it doesn't taste good

It's actually my main source of nutrients, so checkmate, OP

SnooStoriess avatar SnooStories Yeah You Are +2Reply

What poor person is planting grass? Usually if you rent or buy a home it's just already there.

@Manualham What poor person is planting grass? Usually if you rent or buy a home it's just already there.

Ik poor people that are planting grass, they recently got loads of free grass seed. And have been turning a dirt field to grass, if the grass is already their it's a different story, but to plant it is to actively create unnecessary work.

If you confuse "your" with "you're", "bolder" for "boulder" , "its" for "it's", or think rocks are better plants, you probably shouldn't be casting stones from your glass house.

ambitiouscorners avatar ambitiouscorner Yeah You Are +1Reply
@ambitiouscorner If you confuse "your" with "you're", "bolder" for "boulder" , "its" for "it's", or think rocks are better plants...

You think everyone speaks English? Or that language is consistent through ages? Language changes in not worried about it, because the point of language is communication, if you understood what i meant, despite the mis spellings then that communication was effective, that is what maters.

Openeyess avatar Openeyes Yeah You Are +4Reply

You're*