+155

If you aren't in a union, trying to join a union or organizing where you work you shouldn't complain about low pay or poor conditions. amirite?

Alixkasts avatar Jobs & Employment
0 30
The voters have decided that Alixkast is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I say this a lot here, but I guess it's time to say it yet again:

Thinking that someone shouldn't be allowed to complain unless they meet certain criteria is not an unpopular opinion, in the least.

My job doesn't have unions so I get raises by switching companies or industries. Easy peasy.

I loved working in the plants years ago when unions would go on strike and we would be contracted out to go do their jobs for double their pay until their strike was done and they all got their 10 cent raise

@Shussz I loved working in the plants years ago when unions would go on strike and we would be contracted out to go do...

Exactly, the plant could have afforded to pay double if they'd been forced to. The union should have demanded that instead of 10 cents.

Very unpopular opinion. In my state the unions have taken over the government, causing insanely high taxes and insurmountable pension debt. No way a teacher should retire after 20yrs making 100% of their salary for life! All unions must be destroyed!!!

Boknows12s avatar Boknows12 Yeah You Are +5Reply
@Boknows12 Very unpopular opinion. In my state the unions have taken over the government, causing insanely high taxes and...

No way a teacher should retire after 20yrs making 100% of their salary for life!

That's not a thing.

Some-Noname-idks avatar Some-Noname-idk Yeah You Are +5Reply
Prettydottys avatar Prettydotty Yeah You Are +3Reply

Public service unions are an absolute menace. NY State teachers get an amazing retirement deal too, and the quality of the school system here is mediocre. Our cops make ridiculous pay relative to their education and the skills required to do the jobs, plus 20 yr retirement at 75% of high 3. So they retire in their early 40s and make $125-150k/yr until they die. This is why we have (maybe) the highest taxes in the country and one of the lowest standards of living.

@Eastern-Spot2023 Public service unions are an absolute menace. NY State teachers get an amazing retirement deal too, and the...

Bonus, at universities, they'll retire, get their pension, and then come back to work at a slightly different position.

Prettydottys avatar Prettydotty Yeah You Are +4Reply

Unions are a tool that can help workers improve their working conditions. They are not the end all and be all of workers rights.

freq432s avatar freq432 Yeah You Are +4Reply
@freq432 Unions are a tool that can help workers improve their working conditions. They are not the end all and be all of...

Government can promises but if you want to take personal responsibility for the welfare of yourself and family joining a union is the best thing you can do.

What about co-ops?

How do freelancers get a union?

Asking for a freelancer

What of I live in a "right to work" state that basically did away with unions

Do you know how hard it is to unionize a workplace?

I've been in a union for 25 years, a steward for 3. There are pros and cons. The slackers still get paid the same as the guys that get it done. But I guarantee this place would have us making minimum wage if they could get away with it. I have a pension, but the fund is in the red and they are digging into our payouts to cover the gap.
Personally, I am pro-union. Yeah, it's hard to defend the slackers. But it's way better than getting stabbed in the back by ballwashers.

Iapetus-11s avatar Iapetus-11 Yeah You Are +3Reply

"Joining a union is the first step to a decent standard of living."

Of you could just get a good education and acquire job skills that are in high demand.

Agreed I was just thinking in my car yesterday on lunch how unions probably cost a lot less than what we lose annually from not being able to negotiate wages whatsoever. Sure we get the odd cost of living increase but it's nothing much compared to the dollar or two we could be actually grabbing for.

I am in a union and I have low pay and poor conditions. Unions are genies that just make your job a super fun and great place to work

@lazar94 I am in a union and I have low pay and poor conditions. Unions are genies that just make your job a super fun and...

Well you took the first step in helping yourself, and in my unpopular opinion should feel free to complain at full volume as often as you like.

@monsterallergies I mean, I didn't unionize. The union was already here when I got hired

I worked for a unionized company, pay was meh. I make way more now outside of a union.

Kionixs avatar Kionix Yeah You Are +5Reply

Unions are supposed to be for all workers not just members.

@Alixkast Could you expand please? I'm not sure I understand.

Unions exist to help protect workers from all places not just the members of a union. As a person who has been in several different teamsters unions I'm confident the heads of all the major unions will tell you the same.

Tries to organise workers

Factory closes

👍

At my old job, I discussed a union one time, 2 days later I was fired.

The beauty of capitalism though is that I am now at a job where I don't even need a union, I make more than I did, and I can speak with the owner personally if I want.