+133

Video games should come with detailed strategy guides included. amirite?

Boknows12s avatar Games
0 22
The voters have decided that Boknows12 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

i don't think that's owed. it's a game. there is no rule or law on what features a game must or must not include. some games include this, others don't. but it's silly to say that all games must show you how the sausage is made as some kind of requirement. some games are easy, some are "open", some are difficult, some are secret puzzles.

sometimes the creator of a game wants this to be knowledge for the players, other times they want to keep it a secret/surprise and intentionally hide it from the player.

@Milkzey i don't think that's owed. it's a game. there is no rule or law on what features a game must or must not include...

To be clear, I don't think it should be a law. I just think it would be a good industry practice.

Boknows12s avatar Boknows12 Yeah You Are +4Reply

No. I prefer my first play through of the game to be completely guide free. Hot take, but feeling like a noob is one of, if not the best feeling in a game.

They do. It's called the internet. You can find numerous detailed guides for any and all games.

I don't think you can "trick" kids into liking math with a video game. Just make them for fun/entertainment, and that's all. No need to save the world with everything.

Vic8760s avatar Vic8760 Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Vic8760 They do. It's called the internet. You can find numerous detailed guides for any and all games. I don't think you...

You shouldn't have to enter the internet to find such information.

Leave it to the players to optimize the fun out of games.

no, sheldon

Kionixs avatar Kionix Yeah You Are +3Reply

They used to have these, they were called instruction booklets.

I bet you think magicians should put how they did a trick at the end of each one they do as well

If it's in physical paper form then yes. Only because I like the feel of a game case when it's weighty.

It should be for parents only. That way you can win when your kids challenge you to a match.

Anyone remember the earthbound players guide? It came with the original cartridge and it was a work of art.

KilljoyXs avatar KilljoyX Yeah You Are +2Reply

Not a strategy guide, but a good game should provide all the necessary, not-metagame-related information, available without ever needing to open a website.

Mechanics, characters, locations, formulas... if you need to go to a fansite to see any of them, it's a design flaw, because it's fake difficulty as the game isn't explaining things.

Add a glossary function, or an encyclopedia item that provides all of that.

Extra effort that doesn't make them money. Why would they do it?

Most game devs can't even put out full, polished games these days. You want them to include a strategy guide as well? Sorry to burst your bubble, but that won't happen.

When 99% of games can be completed without doing complex math then those guides will only serve to highly raise the costs of games. Most people are not interested in crunching numbers and dedicating hours to be 4% more efficient.

Shiny244s avatar Shiny244 Yeah You Are +2Reply

It made sense for games that shipped entirely complete, but those things seem like a bit of a rarity these days.

No, discovering stuff yourself is part of the fun

stevnev88s avatar stevnev88 Yeah You Are 0Reply