+136

For a lot of drivers, the only things that can't fit in a compact car through their week to week life are their ego and insecurities. amirite?

Eslaurrras avatar Cars & Transportation
0 96
The voters have decided that Eslaurrra is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I'm 6'5" and my head hits the ceiling in most vehicles. My truck is comfy, comes in handy, and the gas mileage is barely off from a cross over. I think you're missing the point that we need to drive less overall rather than focus on a couple mpg. We need infrastructure and design that supports less car use.

And my massive ball sack. I have to hang it out the hatchback.

Vic8760s avatar Vic8760 Yeah You Are +5Reply

The only reason I need is the fact that I like them and want to own one. If anyone doesn't like or agree with it, tough titty. I will gladly donate a box of Kleenex to anyone who needs to have a good cry over it.

Kasies avatar Kasie Yeah You Are +5Reply

I have 4 bikes, a dirt bike. And a 14 foot trailer.... can't fit that in a prius

contextrips avatar contextrip Yeah You Are +4Reply

Need isn't really the point.

KilljoyXs avatar KilljoyX Yeah You Are +4Reply

Someone can't afford a truck lmfao

My wife's full size AWD crossover Honda Pilot gets better gas mileage than my compact ‘wagon' front-wheel drive Kia Sportage. Try and put all the miles on the Kia, because it's over 120k miles, and the Honda has just over 60k, and I don't want 2 cars with 100k+ miles. Also we still owe a bit on the Honda as well.

I live in western PA where most people have trucks for hunting or for work, and I fear for my life driving around in the little clown car Kia. But at least it keeps the Honda nice for my wife.

So how do Electric trucks and SUV's fit into this rant? Sure they're big but they don't have the same environmental impact as gas vehicles...

Everyone keeps falling back in the fact that big ICE engines are harmful. Where I live there are a LOT of electric vehicles of all types on the roads. Most car manufacturers are also committing to making more and more of their vehicles electric.

@Milkzey So how do Electric trucks and SUV's fit into this rant? Sure they're big but they don't have the same environmental...

If they came out with a cheap electric half ton, just simple simon work truck, I'd buy one in a heart beat. I hope they figure out how to convert gas vehicles to electric but keep the shell before I have to sell my truck because I would do that too.

Kasies avatar Kasie Yeah You Are +4Reply

I love my compact hatchback. Small but still plenty of room for camping gear and what not. A friend even borrowed it to take a piece of furniture home that wouldn't fit in his bigger sedan.

If global warming or the environment is what you are concerned about, when all of the glaciers melt and this place floods out, you will probably be the first person looking for a friend with a truck .

I had a Honda Fit, 1 gen with a manual. I LOVED that car. Too bad I totaled it, imma but another one though. You could Fit a surprising amount of things in it.

mattyh2433s avatar mattyh2433 Yeah You Are +3Reply

A mid-sized SUV seems to be the most popular car on the road. It's just utilitarian vehicle. It drives you to work. Allows you to do work on the weekend. I have interest, and hobbies. The mid-sized is good on gas, and has power. The larger size is comfortable on multi day trips. Honestly, you shouldn't be allowed to drive larger car. All you need is electric bike.

Boknows12s avatar Boknows12 Yeah You Are +3Reply

Seems to me you dont have kids or work in construction

@tonywonderslostnut Seems to me you dont have kids or work in construction

They probably have never even been on a farm either.

@Shiny244 Most people don't work on or live on farms

I didn't say they did. I said that OP has probably never been to a farm, thus the reason they think that pick-up trucks and SUVs are unnecessary.

Bf3247s avatar Bf3247 Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Bf3247 I didn't say they did. I said that OP has probably never been to a farm, thus the reason they think that pick-up...

They said for most people. Most people with trucks are just hauling air. No one said work trucks aren't a legitimate thing.

@teknogreek They said for most people. Most people with trucks are just hauling air. No one said work trucks aren't a...

Most people with trucks have a good reason for owning a truck, because they are very expensive.

Maybe that good reason is they like the look, but most people actually use it to haul stuff and it just doesn't make the slightest sense to rent/lease a vehicle when you have an old beater that was paid off ten years ago and costs nothing more than fuel, maintenance and insurance.

@Prettydotty Most people with trucks have a good reason for owning a truck, because they are very expensive. Maybe that good...

People buy large trucks and SUVs for status and perceived safety not because they are actually using them to haul things.

Status, Perceived safety (rather than actual safety), and looks are not "good" reasons to buy a vehicle, or drive it around.

Good on you for owning a 10 year old beater that you occasionally drive to haul stuff. People that daily $70,000 2020 f-150's are the people we are actually talking about and criticizing.

Keep your bad faith arguments to your self.

@contextrip People buy large trucks and SUVs for status and perceived safety not because they are actually using them to haul...

Just because you do not see, or perhaps do not understand the reasons people own trucks does not mean they are invalid.

I was with you until your last sentence, but it is clear you are unwilling to accept the situation is broader than you describe.

Good day and good riddance.

Kasies avatar Kasie Yeah You Are +1Reply

You can fit kids in cars just fine, you don't need a truck or SUV

No such thing as tall people…

If people want to waste their money on a vehicle they don't need that's not my problem or concern.

Lol. It kind of bugs me when I get sideways looks for driving a 4x4 F150. I had to get a large vehicle because I paint houses. It was kind hard to carry more than a 6ft ladder in my lil Ranger.

Some of us live where there is ice and snow for 5 months out of the year and we need higher, bigger vehicles to navigate those conditions. Even front wheel drive cars don't cut it on black ice covered roads, or a street with a foot of snow.

Professor-kaosss avatar Professor-kaoss Yeah You Are +3Reply

Ironically it's mostly dumber and smaller people that need the big vehicles.

Tanmoykayesens avatar Tanmoykayesen Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Tanmoykayesen Ironically it's mostly dumber and smaller people that need the big vehicles.

This was just a really dumb thing to say lol just making it up because you don't like trucks and instead of making an actual point, you insult a bunch of people with nothing to back it up.

synthsexuals avatar synthsexual Yeah You Are +1Reply

My reasoning for owning a pickup is because I wanted one and I'll likely fare better in a crash. I rarely tow and hardly use the bed

Iapetus-11s avatar Iapetus-11 Yeah You Are +3Reply

I mean for some people it does make sense to own a truck even if you only need it part of the year, depending on what you use it for then. I deer hunt which is only part of the year, but I don't want to transport a dead deer in anything enclosed, and I wouldn't feel confident transporting/cleaning a dead deer or off-roading to get to it in a rented vehicle.

freq432s avatar freq432 Yeah You Are +2Reply

Who said anything about need? People buy what they want, as they should.

Achilles982s avatar Achilles982 Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Achilles982 Who said anything about need? People buy what they want, as they should.

You're missing the point bud, they WANT a big truck/SUV to feel tall and powerful compensating for other areas of their life where they're not. Something tells me you've got a lift kit on your truck...

Professor-kaosss avatar Professor-kaoss Yeah You Are +4Reply
@404ChompyNotFound 2023 Tundra owner

i literally dont own a car LUL but if i ever get a car i would probably get a hybrid SUV

Bf3247s avatar Bf3247 Yeah You Are +4Reply

I mean no one needs nike, lets get rid of those too. Only wear work boots

@Suspiciousauthor I mean no one needs nike, lets get rid of those too. Only wear work boots

Then complain when people wearing work boots don't work in jobs that need them lol DO YOU EVEN HIKE??!!

Boknows12s avatar Boknows12 Yeah You Are +4Reply

What if I said people who don't drive out of town should always just take the bus or uber and don't need a vehicle at all. If you drive a car just to go to work and home and pick up groceries, you can surely take the bus for so much cheaper and better for the environment right?

Openeyess avatar Openeyes Yeah You Are +2Reply

I mean, it is a very unpopular idea, so points for that. It's none of your business what other people drive. Why do you care? Where is this distain for your fellow man coming from?

Mrtechnohawks avatar Mrtechnohawk Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Mrtechnohawk I mean, it is a very unpopular idea, so points for that. It's none of your business what other people drive. Why do...

An F150 uses twice the fuel of a car. SUVs use significantly more fuel than a car or a minivan.

We all share in the environmental impact of fuel burned. Oil is also a limited resource that drives inflation, and is a source of world conflict.

Tanmoykayesens avatar Tanmoykayesen Yeah You Are +4Reply
@Pheniz21 Not many cars are getting 40mpg unless they're a hybrid.

I'm not sure how common it is but my wife's little Honda fit gets 40mpg and it's a naturally aspirated I.C.E.

Kionixs avatar Kionix Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Tanmoykayesen An F150 uses twice the fuel of a car. SUVs use significantly more fuel than a car or a minivan. We all share in...

What truck? What suv?

You have F150's with a V8, and you have them with a turbo 4-cylinder. You have Suv's with tiny 4-cylinder engines, and you have them giant sports car V8's. You also have cars with tiny 3-cylinder engines, and some with V12.

You can't just classify TRUCK as the same across the board.

mattyh2433s avatar mattyh2433 Yeah You Are +4Reply

For this reason I have one vehicle to tow/drive around town and one commuter vehicle. My commuter vehicle has half again the miles on it versus the twice as old tow vehicle.

We can talk about getting rid of pickup trucks when we get rid of private jets, cruise ships, and Chinese sweat shops.

I am 6'3 and love small cars. I own a Reanult Clio and drive very comfortably.

Thing is, I do not need to feel bigger. In fact, I enjoy feeling smaller than most cars on the street.

@teknogreek I am 6'3 and love small cars. I own a Reanult Clio and drive very comfortably. Thing is, I do not need to feel...

I'm 6' and drive a Yaris, same feeling as you. I've always been told by people looking at me get in my car "Why is it always the tall guys in the small cars?" Which kinda tells it's tale that we don't compensate for something else.

Lol a lot of people have this opinion until they need someone to help them move or bring home lumber for a project. In that case have fun making 3x the trips in your car, hope you can hold on to those 2x4s on the roof long enough to get home.

@Openeyes Lol a lot of people have this opinion until they need someone to help them move or bring home lumber for a project...

It's like $25 to rent a pickup from U-Haul for a day...

But roof racks are thing too.

Are you constantly buying 2x4's or was that the only example you can think of? Most people aren't doing that, maybe once or twice a year.

@opensofias It's like $25 to rent a pickup from U-Haul for a day... But roof racks are thing too. Are you constantly buying...

Okay so you complain about people who drive trucks then you go rent a truck because you don't want to ask your friend who drives one? Either way you need a truck. I buy 2x4s quite regularly, but also 2x10s, 2x6s, sheets of plywood, 10-12 ft lengths of pvc pipe, haul camping gear, taking big loads of stuff to the dump, hauling out tree branches, all kinds of fun stuff. I get that some people just don't need a truck but like driving one, it's personal preference. Also, if you're someone like me who has life long back injury, and can't sit low in a car, a truck or SUV is really the only option for something for me to drive anyway.

@Huemaninstrument Okay so you complain about people who drive trucks then you go rent a truck because you don't want to ask your...

I don't care about people who need a truck driving a truck

But I remember my cousin jacking his truck up so high I couldn't pull a wagon or a trailer.

That's the people we're talking about.

People that just want a "big" truck.

But you didn't understand anything I said last time, so I don't expect you to get anything I just said either

And my back is fuuuuuuuuucked and I'm 6'4. Getting into a hatchback is just as easy as a truck

Somehow I've gone my whole life without needing to haul lumber anywhere 🤷‍♂️ Maybe I'm just weird or possibly it's not as common as truck owners might make it seem?

Renting a truck is not as easy as you think

synthsexuals avatar synthsexual Yeah You Are +2Reply

True, especially for people that live in cities

stevnev88s avatar stevnev88 Yeah You Are +2Reply

Sure i can fit inside a compact car, but can it drive up 60°+ rocky inclines like my 4runner?

Have a kid and then come talk to me. Had a "car" and a Toyota 4Runner. Had to sell the car when we had our first for any version of a car trip. Stroller, beach gear, clothes, diapers, toys, travel crib….in a car, doesn't leave room for much else

"I don't care what people drive"

Clearly not.

88080808088s avatar 88080808088 Yeah You Are +2Reply

We own two trucks (a full size and a compact) because we have four dogs and have to use a dog box in the back to transport them and or dead animals we hunt. It is infinitely easier to do that with a truck bed than tying it on the roof or trying to cram multiple large dogs inside a vehicle, especially if we have 4 people in there.

We also simply like them 🤷🏻‍♀️

I am not saying some people don't have a keeping up with the Joneses attitude but I can personally say not one person in. my life has ever bought a truck because their neighbors have one 😂 trucks aren't luxury vehicles or anything.

I drive a very small car. I enjoy parking in places others can't and the great fuel economy. My husband and I call it "tiny car privilege" when we do anything in my car that would have been difficult in a larger one.

I will say that you are right that SUVs are more likely to tip over. I was in an accident with one a long time ago and it was crazy how it started to roll. It totally traumatized me to the point of not wanting to ever get in one.

@jodzdzownica I will say that you are right that SUVs are more likely to tip over. I was in an accident with one a long time ago...

I think the only SUV that passed the roll over test well is an ev from tesla bc the center of mass is so low.

I live out of town in a place in the world where we have snow 7 months of the year. A compact car just isn't practical for our family.

browndog888s avatar browndog888 Yeah You Are +1Reply
@browndog888 I live out of town in a place in the world where we have snow 7 months of the year. A compact car just isn't...

I drive a Micra in Canada. Your car is fine you just need to learn how to drive and with snow tires.

@bibbitybobbitybacon I drive a Micra in Canada. Your car is fine you just need to learn how to drive and with snow tires.

I live on a farm, 45 from civilization. You cant imagine the amount of moose and deer that get hit on our highway. Highway driving is a different beast than city driving. In town or in the city, I agree that an awd and a good set of winter tires should be good enough. But I've hit one deer and one moose myself in the last 20 years. No way a Micra is going to handle that as well as my 4 Runner.

Somones never been stuck in only 2 inches of snow in a civic before. Thats why my next car is going to be an SUV.

dankXDs avatar dankXD Yeah You Are +1Reply
@dankXD Somones never been stuck in only 2 inches of snow in a civic before. Thats why my next car is going to be an SUV.

There are compacts with AWD that are actually even better in the snow because they're lighter.

The marketing department doesn't like your opinion

Framie1s avatar Framie1 Yeah You Are +1Reply

I don't necessarily buy compact but smaller cars in general. The benefits are many, like easier parking and manuevering.

I have a truck and agree that most people would probably be fine with a smaller vehicle for their day to day lives. The days my wife works from home I almost always drive her little Honda because it gets 2x the gas mileage of my truck but we do go camping several times a year and sleep in the shell when we road trip so I won't be getting rid of it anytime soon.

Thatoneduderyans avatar Thatoneduderyan Yeah You Are +1Reply

Lets say you are a family of 7. During the week you only need a small compact car, on the weekends and most family trips you need an extremely large SUV/Van.

How would it make sense for a family (any family bigger than 5) own several cars appease the different occupant requirements from their day-to-day lives. It's a bit unfair to say a large family must make a $20-40K purchase for a weekday driver car, and then another 40-80k purchase for weekends. Most family will just stick with the SUV and drive it even if there is only 2 people in it. Nothing for these families will ever justify buying 2 cars.

I'll bite that this isn't unpopular. I use to have a Dodge Challenger and I loved it. I almost all my apartment in it when I moved, but I felt it was too big for what i do on a day to day basis. Got a smaller sports car same horse power same compliments and I don't need to take up half the parking lot when i park.

Fun fact, if you have a really nice sports car and park on the far side of a lot to be out of the way and also not get your doors hit…there's is always someone parked right next to you when you get back. Only two cars on the far side

Miata is always the answer

Why is it not OK for me to drive a truck, but it's OK for my neighbor to drive one so I can borrow? And why is it anybody's business?

A lot of people here seem to think they KNOW what other people "need" to drive. It's not always about needs, sometimes people just want something bigger than a car or an SUV.

Sure cars can fit in compact spaces and carry a bunch of things, but trucks can carry more, and if set up right will make it through way more adverse conditions than a car ever could.

…a short term lease for camping…
somehow I think you're in a very different tax bracket than me.

Not every truck or SUV is a 2022 behemoth rolling off the lot.

Yep. And on those rare occasions where you DO need to haul things, just rent

Manualhams avatar Manualham Yeah You Are 0Reply

And for those people that have 2 kids but have to have the 3-rowed vehicles for the extended family, that's just stupid! Why not add an extension onto your house, pay for their college, and grow a third leg while you're at it? It's not your responsibility to make extra car payments and shuttle 10 kids just for when cousin bill and the nephews come into town. They can rent a car or you all can figure it out than to turn your financials upside down.

I have a larger frame. The Honda fit gave me leg cramps for any drive longer than an hour. So no I'm not buying a compact car. My CR-V is quite comfy thank you very much

Pheniz21s avatar Pheniz21 Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Pheniz21 I have a larger frame. The Honda fit gave me leg cramps for any drive longer than an hour. So no I'm not buying a...

I recently rented a Ford Taurus and gave myself headaches from how often I banged my head trying to shoehorn myself into it. I fully understand your pain.

I'll stick to my Accord, plenty of room there.

Vic8760s avatar Vic8760 Yeah You Are +2Reply

Some people legitimately need a larger car. Now that I have a kid and will eventually have another, I'm going to need a 6-7 seater. Two car seats don't fit well in a 5 seater and it is impossible to sit another adult safely…

Plus other people pull things for work or carry items for large projects…

Not sure what your gripe is.

@Huemaninstrument Some people legitimately need a larger car. Now that I have a kid and will eventually have another, I'm going to...

I have three young boys 2, 6, and 8. They are in a convertible, a booster, and no car seat. All three fit in the back of our mid-size sedan. There is no reason to need larger for most families. We have a larger, mid-size crossover for a times we want more cargo space or to bring two more in the third row, but having 2 kids doesn't mean we need to have a full size suv.

@jodzdzownica I have three young boys 2, 6, and 8. They are in a convertible, a booster, and no car seat. All three fit in the...

That's reasonable. Our 5 car SUV will need an upgrade when we have kid #2 but it works fine for now.

Yeah but you don't have any business judging anybody for what vehicle they own.