+58

Cutscenes ruin video games, amirite?

ambitiouscorners avatar Games
0 37
The voters have decided that ambitiouscorner is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

OP hates games with good story lines only endless ammo and big booms

@Achilles982 OP hates games with good story lines only endless ammo and big booms

Use the gameplay to tell your story. If it can't be told through engaging gameplay it has no business being a game.

personally i like to play video games, and i like to watch movies. i don't like to watch video games.

if it's a great story, put it in a book or turn it into a TV series. i'm not holding a controller because i want a great story, i'm holding a controller because i want to make some tricky jumps and solve some puzzles.

@Crazymotherfuker personally i like to play video games, and i like to watch movies. i don't like to watch video games. if it's a...

David Cage games and Supermassive games cannot be told in any other medium and are story driven.

There's also RPGs, games like Red Dead Redemption 2 which would be very difficult to tell in a tv format and if The Last of Us tv show sucks then clearly that doesn't always work.

This is a weird way to tell everyone you've never played an nes, genesis or snes game

Milkzeys avatar Milkzey Yeah You Are +2Reply

No, but they should be skippable, at the very least once you've already seen them.

Definitely agree! The cutscene never line up with how I feel about the game. I'm just never stressed about any situations about the game like the characters in cutscenes. I know that I'll be able to shoot my way through. They are worried about some enemy even though my character in game is a mass killer with thousands of kills. (Example assassins creed odyssey, Far cry, ghost recon woodlands, etc)

What about games where the story is important? Which is a very large portion of games.

@404ChompyNotFound What about games where the story is important? Which is a very large portion of games.

This is such a stupid argument. Games can tell good stories without cutscenes. Look at Return Of The Obra Dinn, This War Of Mine, and Kenshi.

Openeyess avatar Openeyes Yeah You Are 0Reply

Definite unpopular opinion there lol, I love the cutscenes. The storyline is what I'm playing the game for.

If they are unskippable, then yes, they are a problem.

The story isn't that important in a videogame...

@StevenBeercockArt If they are unskippable, then yes, they are a problem. The story isn't that important in a videogame...

In some games the story is the absolute foundation of the entire experience. No one played The Witcher 3 for its mediocre combat, yet it is one of the greatest games ever made, and one of my all time favorites. Other notable examples are Persona, Mass Effect, and to a lesser extent, Red Dead 2.

@Nickyikky In some games the story is the absolute foundation of the entire experience. No one played The Witcher 3 for its...

No one played The Witcher 3 for its mediocre combat, yet it is one of the greatest games ever made

If it has bad gameplay then it can't be one of the greatest games ever.

The two things are simply incompatible.

A good story can improve a good game, but it won't save a bad one.

@LookAnAltAccount No one played The Witcher 3 for its mediocre combat, yet it is one of the greatest games ever made If it has bad...

This is like saying a movie with bad cinematography is a bad movie. That's not true. A movie can have uninspired shots while still being great due to other factors, and it can be bad despite having great cinematography.

Secondly, I didnt even say the witcher has bad gameplay, I said it has mediocre combat. But gameplay is more than just combat. Tw3 wouldn't work as a movie because the appeal of the game is making choices and exploring the world. Exploration and conversation IS the gameplay here.

Ultimately, I don't really know what you're trying to say here. You don't want to talk to NPCs for hours? That's fine, but I do. And so do millions of other people. There's a reason people adore these games, and if they would have been better as movies, they would have been made as movies, but they weren't for a good reason.

It's totally fine not to like these games, but I hate when people tell others that they are incorrect for liking them, and their favorite type of game should cease to exist because you personally don't get it. I don't like Studio Ghibli, but I don't think people are wrong for liking their movies.

@mattyh2433 This is like saying a movie with bad cinematography is a bad movie. That's not true. A movie can have uninspired...

If one wants a good story, you read a book, not play a game or watch a movie.

Tw3 wouldn't work as a movie because the appeal of the game is making choices and exploring the world. Exploration and conversation IS the gameplay here.

So it has bad gameplay.

@Tldfonat If one wants a good story, you read a book, not play a game or watch a movie. Tw3 wouldn't work as a movie...

Why cant games tell stories? Perhaps it is more productive to think about interactivty instead of gameplay like RPGs has its focus on interaction with story-lines therefore one can even argue that the story itself is the gameplay, same goes for story driven games where immersing yourself in the story is part of the interaction. MGS is nothing without the story and has great interactivity. So an RPG having good interactivity with its storylines is way more important than having good combat and for the interaction with the story to work, the story has to be compelling.

@jodzdzownica Why cant games tell stories? Perhaps it is more productive to think about interactivty instead of gameplay like...

Why cant games tell stories?

I never said that.

I said that the story is only a minor component.

Yes, there are games with good stories, but it would be a foolish idea to play a game because of the story.

@Tontonsflingueurs Why cant games tell stories? I never said that. I said that the story is only a minor component. Yes, there are...

I disagree. There are plenty of examples of games with amazing stories but conventional mechanics like Spec Ops The Line. What about games that the story itself is the gameplay like Telltale's? For me its much more important for the game have a cohesive unit of story+gameplay than this separation of what is more important.

A game with a bad story has no emotional impact only some brief sensation of fun at the beginning and gets boring pretty fast and ends up with no lasting memories. (I cant remember a single player game I genuinely liked that didnt have at least a decent story)

While sometimes a game with a good story might motivate one to play along even if the mechanics arent exceptional because you are immersed in the world.

Gameplay isnt only about fun or fighting, it is any form of interaction between the player and the game. Stating that the witcher 3 has bad gameplay only due to the combat mechanic is a narrow and limitating perspective on what interactivity can be.

@Professor-kaoss I disagree. There are plenty of examples of games with amazing stories but conventional mechanics like Spec Ops The...

So you don't enjoy either the problem-solving or competitive aspects of a game?

@Dr-pen A game with a bad story has no emotional impact only some brief sensation of fun at the beginning and gets boring...

If youre talking about multiplayer competition games then I tend to not like them very much.

While I had some initial fun playing games like the witness that is pure problem-solving, I didnt even get close to finishing. But Id say for example Portal had enough intrigue and charismatic characters to make me play all the way. Also one could say that stealth games which I tend to enjoy and they have at least decent stores most of the time.

A cutscene or two is ok like how they introduce the bosses on borderlands etc. But if I wanted to watch a movie I'd watch a movie.

I think games need to focus on showing the story through gameplay rather than through cutscenes - and I think a lot of games don't do that all too well.

I'm personally fine with cutscenes though, as long as they're not too long or are skippable.

MGS 3's cutscenes are the real real. And it has excellent gameplay-and-cutscene integration to boot. But sometimes I just want some short session of playing a game like Hades or EU4 while listening to a podcast in the background and the last thing I need is a cutscene.

Kasies avatar Kasie Yeah You Are +2Reply

But... But... Armstrongs speech from metal gear revengance??

freq432s avatar freq432 Yeah You Are +2Reply

There are some story moments that cant be told properly if player input is a factor. Cutscenes are vital for a coherent story in most games. And thats ignoring the aesthetic value it brings. If you dont like that maybe you shouldnt be palying story games.

Mcgee0s avatar Mcgee0 Yeah You Are +1Reply

I mean there are plenty of games that suit ur need for that. Just play DOOM or quake or any old school FPS

Well maybe story driven games arent your thing. Or maybe you just played games with conventional stories that are there only to fill the blanks like most of ubisoft games.

Milkzeys avatar Milkzey Yeah You Are 0Reply