+116

Streamers are at fault for parasocial relationships, amirite?

mattyh2433s avatar Relationships
0 14
The voters have decided that mattyh2433 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

OTV is hypocritical, no way i never could have guessed.

mattyh2433s avatar mattyh2433 Yeah You Are +4Reply

You can generally tell if someone has too close a relationship with their audience.

See it on YouTube a lot where creators will either getting too emotionally attached to their audience...or start resenting them.

@contextrip You can generally tell if someone has too close a relationship with their audience. See it on YouTube a lot where...

Yep, which is why I think it's weird that everyone hopped on the trend of bashing the viewers while ignoring the obvious things the creators do/have done.

mattyh2433s avatar mattyh2433 Yeah You Are +3Reply
@mattyh2433 Yep, which is why I think it's weird that everyone hopped on the trend of bashing the viewers while ignoring the...

I mean, it's not surprising, a single person/occupation is easier to blame than "all of society"

Parasocial relationships existed long before streaming.

@Suspiciousauthor Parasocial relationships existed long before streaming.

yeah but streamers made it worse. But at the same time i cant blame them becuase I dont think you can make money of streaming anything other then high level gameplay or doing some kind of talk show without engaging in that para social stuff while streaming.

Achilles982s avatar Achilles982 Yeah You Are +2Reply

That's how they make their money

@mattyh2433 Mhmm

It's not a bug. It's a feature. Oops. Sorry I manipulated you into give me a ton of money

"We're all friends and I love you guys! Let's hang out! You can silently watch me do stuff- oh, unless you want to send me money every time you speak? Then I'll acknowledge what you said briefly! and here's a Discord server so that you can talk among yourselves about how great I am, and here are some links for you to send me money and buy a T-shirt with my face on it." Imagine if you had a real life ‘friend' that acted like this

Larny2019s avatar Larny2019 Yeah You Are +1Reply

wholly agree
actually, mostly agree. There are some people who just cant interpret basic interactions properly and see them as personal relationships but you're right there are lots of cases where they actually foster that relationship then decry it