+95

I Actually Think We SHOULD Use Fur - I Think I Might Even Call Myself Pro-Fur. amirite?

Vic8760s avatar Brands & Products
0 24
The voters have decided that Vic8760 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I support using animal products from any animal you eat. If you kill an animal you should use as much of the carcass as possible. People generally don't eat the animals in fur production.

Thatoneduderyans avatar Thatoneduderyan Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Thatoneduderyan I support using animal products from any animal you eat. If you kill an animal you should use as much of the...

People generally don't eat the animals in fur production.

What if the carcass is useful in way other than for human consumption? Is there something about human consumption that is of greater validity than other uses?

Boknows12s avatar Boknows12 Yeah You Are 0Reply

Clearly someone did not look at what the fur industry was doing before it was heavily regulated and crashed. Learn from history before it repeats itself kids!

People don't eat mink or chinchilla. They do eat guinea pig in South America, but who wants a guinea pig coat?

"There is also an argument that harvesting fur would increase standards relating to care of the animals - if you're protecting their skin ready for harvest as well as their meat you're probably providing better enclosures, less crowding and better quality food."

Unfortunately, this was definitely not the case with fur farms of the past. Horrible conditions and inexcusable waste were factors that contributed to the backlash against wearing fur.

making it as ethical as meat

Because that turned out super ethical, specially at a large scale.

@Prettydotty How dare those omnivores eat as nature intended

How is breeding animals into captivity "as nature intended"? There is nothing natural about industrial agriculture.

I know some people hunt (or fish), and I'll concede their point, but anyone going to the grocery store and buying industrially-farmed animals put into neat plastic packages doesn't get to use this argument.

Ah yes, the great omnivores of the US… where only 10% meet the recommended vegetable intake, and eat more than 1.5 times the average daily protein requirement, but mostly ignoring beans, peas, lentils, and even nuts and seeds.

Anyway, if you think the average American eats as "nature intended", I can't really help you.

@Suspiciousauthor Ah yes, the great omnivores of the US… where only 10% meet the recommended vegetable intake, and eat more than...

This has nothing to do with being American. Do you think Americans are the only people who consume meat?

Dr-pens avatar Dr-pen Yeah You Are +3Reply

I think people eating as they want to eat is natural. It might not assure a long life expectancy, but it's in keeping with the mechanics of nature to eat what you desire to eat. To say that people should follow a prescribed diet is actually unnatural.

Mcgee0s avatar Mcgee0 Yeah You Are +2Reply
@ambitiouscorner making it as ethical as meat Because that turned out super ethical, specially at a large scale.

well that's just it really - I think that if you are ok eating meat you should examine why you're not ok with fur and maybe challenge that idea.

If you don't eat meat for ethical reasons then fur is going to be equally unethical to you anyway - so the plastic alternatives are for you.

@Vic8760 well that's just it really - I think that if you are ok eating meat you should examine why you're not ok with fur...

Honestly, I have always felt that using as much of the animal as possible is good.

I have always been against 'fur' because the fur was typically animals that were hunted/killed specifically for that fur and not because they were going to eat the animal (tiger, leopard, mink etc..)

But I have nothing against leather (well not as a product, I personally don't want leather products...), nor sheepskin products et...

You make a lot of assumption, like fur being a byproduct or fur demand driving better care standards. If these were true, I'd be inclined to agree with you. But the actually fur industry has shown that you assumptions largely aren't true.

People also like the faux fur because it's affordable to them. Real fur is extremely expensive and you're never going to make it the same cost as faux fur, so even if their was a mindset change on fur being acceptable it wouldn't matter to the majority of people who buy faux fur.

Fur doesent come from lambs pigs cows or chickens, its usually some exoctic predatory animal, Idiot
(Bonus points if endangered)

Mmmm yes and no. I think it'd be fine if you did what natives do, they'll hunt the animal, thank it for their sacrifice, and then they use like 80% of it's body for food, warmth, tools, ect. The majority of people do not do that though. They'll kill an animal, take the fur and maybe a little bit of meat and they'll leave the rest.

@Some-Noname-idk Mmmm yes and no. I think it'd be fine if you did what natives do, they'll hunt the animal, thank it for their...

He's describing exactly that, but on a large industry scale. Meat industry working together with fur industry. Meat used for eating, fur for wearing, everything else goes to pet food manufacturing, etc. Noting wasted.

Yeah, I also like the aesthetic of fur wear. They also help keep you warm in the winter.