+77

We aren't willing to pay $2 extra in taxes for important things but will happily pay $2 for a chance to win a $1.9 billion lottery, amirite?

vcsandfecess avatar Money & Economics
0 105
The voters have decided that vcsandfeces is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

If I don't pay my taxes, I get fined and thrown in prison. If I don't buy a lottery ticket, I still have $2.

If i do buy a ticket, I have a small chance of winning a billion dollars. If I do pay my taxes, I have a large chance of funding government policies that specifically harm other people or myself and I can't even track which way my money went.

I can give $2 to the government, throw $2 into a fireplace or buy a $2 lottery ticket.

If I throw the money into a fire, I get a little bit of warmth.

If I buy a lottery ticket, I get a little bit of time to fantasize about what I would do with the money if I win.

If I give the money to the government, they burn it and I don't get any warmth.

Vic8760s avatar Vic8760 Yeah You Are +6Reply
@Vic8760 I can give $2 to the government, throw $2 into a fireplace or buy a $2 lottery ticket. If I throw the money into a...

They use tax money to pay for road construction, maintenance of property in your area, infrastructure maintenance and upgrades, government-funded organizations, etc. People really don't understand the point of taxes

More like they buy ice cubes and place them on you making you wish you'd burned it for warmth even more than the lottery ticket.

Difference is that I have more of a chance of winning the lottery than of my tax money going where I want it to go.

I don't know how to play the lottery. And yet somehow I feel like my odds of winning it are exactly the same whether I play or not.

That's assuming everyone wastes their money on a snowball's chance in hell of winning.

Larny2019s avatar Larny2019 Yeah You Are +5Reply

Few people really wanna change the system. Most people just want a higher place within it

Mytokhondrias avatar Mytokhondria Yeah You Are +5Reply

If I had a choice in where my tax went then I'd care but I'm in Australia funding an army that has only ever had go fight for other people

Nickyikkys avatar Nickyikky Yeah You Are +4Reply

Lotteries are extra taxes for people who dont understand or ignore basic math.

"You're not rich, why do you care?"

"Because one day I might be, then people like me had better watch out!"

Nah you're paying $2 to surf mansions on Zillow thinking, "i could live there"

I'd have less of a problem paying $2 extra in taxes, if our government didn't do things like send over $10 million to Pakistan for gender studies.

What makes even less sense is using spending an hour using grocery delivery and paying $20 in fees cause you don't have time or gas to go to the store.

(Yes I know some people actually need to use this service. Me included at times.)

Kionixs avatar Kionix Yeah You Are +3Reply

The proceeds from the lottery in my state go toward education.

I have more chances on winning the lotto than I do paying taxes towards something I support

Because one of those $2 actually gives you a tiny tangible piece of hope that you could be a fat cat some day, instead of $2 getting misused/wasted/lining another fat cats wallet

Professor-kaosss avatar Professor-kaoss Yeah You Are +3Reply

Ya, because taxes are like "give me your 2 dollars and in return you will get -39 cents of value returned to you through our national debt and ridiculous overspending"

Not sure anywhere has a 1.9 ‘BILLION' dollar lottery…
M maybe not B

I think it's because you're more likely to get something from the lottery than paying taxes lol

teknogreeks avatar teknogreek Yeah You Are +3Reply

The lottery ticket is a one time event that I have an option to pay or not. The small tax will have to be paid over and over again, and I have no choice in paying it, even if I disagree with it. Undoubtedly it will grow by small increments into a larger amount.

Taxes goes to rich pieces of trash. Lotto money does the same thing.

Well in reality you'll get like $400 million. The next day the government announces $1.5 billion in funding for Ukraine.

No I'm actually instead paying $25 for application fees just to have my application denied immediately

Well, lottery tickets are actually a form of government fundraising, and many states' largest chunk of funds comes from the state lottery. And it lets smart people not have to pay more taxes, lol.

KilljoyXs avatar KilljoyX Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Bf3247 Lotteries are a tax on people who are bad a math.

Yes and no, the idea is someone has to win, even at a trillion to one odds, someone still has to win and aside from people buying multiple tickets I have the same chance as the next guy buying the same amount of tickets. I get the chance is so miniscule it's the same as handing the cashier $2 for him to just give me a paper saying no. But $2 for a daydream is fun.

This is also coming from someone that doesn't buy lotto tickets lol

Maybe so, but I will gladly skip buying the burger meal in exchange for a slight chance to change my life. Win Win even if I dont win.

@Pheniz21 Maybe so, but I will gladly skip buying the burger meal in exchange for a slight chance to change my life. Win Win...

And the powerball price money (after tax) will work out to around $600 million, for a 1 in 270 million chance of winning the lottery. So if you bought a ticket for this drawing, you actually made a 'smart' bet, as your expected winning is ~600/270 = 2.22 >2 dollars for the ticket.

@Cheytuflya That's true, but at one point, they were billed to be an extra and not an instead of.

I just found out today that the UK lottery is tax free - because it is classified as gambling, not income.

@Dairyqueenemployee I just found out today that the UK lottery is tax free - because it is classified as gambling, not income.

Are you saying that UK citizens aren't taxed on gambling winning? US citizens definitely are. However, you can deduct gambling losses to the extent of winnings.

@Apartlavishness Are you saying that UK citizens aren't taxed on gambling winning? US citizens definitely are. However, you can...

Canada winnings aren't taxable either.... But are you saying that the $2/week lotto ticket is tax deductible?

@Pheniz21 Canada winnings aren't taxable either.... But are you saying that the $2/week lotto ticket is tax deductible?

To the extent of winnings. If you haven't won anything then you can't deduct anything. If you've won $500, but spent $1,000 then you can only deduct $500.

@Pheniz21 Same in Canada

Actually, the governments in Canada effectively run them and the government take is taken from the ticket sales pool, which is why winnings aren't taxed in Canada.

To be fair my whole life someone's been saying if we just pay two more dollars or a little bit more taxes something will change, and guess what it never does. Government is a problem not a solution.

88080808088s avatar 88080808088 Yeah You Are +2Reply

Well, to be fair 2 dollars in taxes isn't going to go to the important things, it's going to fund maybe a fraction of one important thing because government spending is absolutely ridiculous.

Achilles982s avatar Achilles982 Yeah You Are +2Reply

Lottery tickets are a tax on people who don't understand probability.

People will also pig out on junk food and sugary drinks and not drop a single can of corn when the food drive comes around.

It's nice (even good) to be generous but it's not evil to take care of yourself and your happiness.

TBH I don't blame most American's for not wanting to pay taxes. When your government doesn't do anything for you with that money like providing universal healthcare or descent infrastructure to provide you with clean drinking water.

If American taxes did anything then yeah we would be, if the rich had to pay a reasonable amount of taxes then yes we would

$2 for a week of hope and fanciful imaginings. In these dark days, maybe it's money well spent for some people.

We don't know where our taxes go. We know exactly where our $2 for the lottery goes... In the gutter.

But at least we know.

Openeyess avatar Openeyes Yeah You Are +2Reply

And lottery proceeds are FAR less transparent than tax proceeds, so everybody wins!

Because the lottery benefits ONLY me. I sure wouldn't like to pay for anything thar benefits my AND others!

I'd rather burn a pile of money than give it to the government

then they should give out free lottery tickets every time you pay taxes for important things. win win

So what you're saying is that we're not willing to pay $2 extra in taxes but will happily pay $2 in taxes

Im sorry but does my pasta give me a chance of becoming rich ? No ? Shutup

If I could choose where my taxes went, I would happily pay more taxes. As it stands, it's probably going to war, and I'm not going to give more to such a thing

@Expert-Afternoon-501 If I could choose where my taxes went, I would happily pay more taxes. As it stands, it's probably going to war...

Even if it prevents genocide and war crimes? I doubt a budget that was ran as a popularity contest would be very effective.

Just elect people who have the same priorities as you; that's the best you can hope for.

Achilles982s avatar Achilles982 Yeah You Are +5Reply

I 10000% agree with that. The ability for us to choose would speak loudly. Either for the greater good or for the worse. But I'll be happier to choose maybe every year to choose where it goes.

@Mcgee0 I 10000% agree with that. The ability for us to choose would speak loudly. Either for the greater good or for the...

If only we had a system in place that let us choose people to represent our interests when it came to the spending of our taxes...

I'd be happy if we could just allocate some small percentage of our taxes to a specific cause (even really high level categories such as "public transit" or "science research").

Keeps paying for most things with the remaining 95% of taxes but allows for some direct representation as well via the allocatable 5% or something

@Dairyqueenemployee I'd be happy if we could just allocate some small percentage of our taxes to a specific cause (even really high...

This would be better. Would make you feel better about paying them without taking away too much from other important items.

I would say it more so goes to war profiteering, which is even worse. Could be classified as general profiteering, but there's so much money that goes in that generally ends up benefitting contractors more than anyone else.

No taxes on lottery winnings in Canada. I won 2 bucks last week in the 6/49. No tax, got the whole $2

@Expert-Afternoon-501 No taxes on lottery winnings in Canada. I won 2 bucks last week in the 6/49. No tax, got the whole $2

In the US gambling winnings aren't taxed under a certain amount. I hope you're trolling bc I'm sure it's the same in Canada lmao but just in case anyone is that dense to believe it

America has spent more money on healthcare for the poor than the military every year you have been alive, so remember that when you get a job and start paying taxes.

It's also going to pay for that butthole cop who bullies everyone with his abuse of power and there's nothing you can do about it except yell "I pay your salary" to which he's probably think. "Yup and I'm loving it".

I mean to be fair, when you buy a lottery ticket, the worst that happens is you just lose the $2, but when you pay $2 in taxes, the worst that happens is you still don't get what you paid for and that money goes toward either a dumbass useless statue or a missile that kills a bunch of people you've never met.

Who is this we?

And what are these important things youre trying to take from my less then livable income to fund?

opensofiass avatar opensofias Yeah You Are +1Reply

What if the IRS entered you into a lottery when you filed your taxes. So for every dollar you pay in taxes you get so many entries into a lottery where you win Millions. They could do all sorts of prizes. Make tax paying like the lottery. Your winnings would be tax free of course.

I happily pay my taxes. I would be even more willing to do so if it had the chance to make me a billionaire.

Hell in my country people pay $20-$30 for a chance at a million.

As someone who pays roughly 37-39% where I live, this is a lie. I'm happy that I pay a lot of taxes so that people who don't have much can get free education, healthcare and help. This sounds more like US defaultism.

Some-Noname-idks avatar Some-Noname-idk Yeah You Are +1Reply

The lottery would take care of our needs. The problem.is most people don't feel taxes are used to fulfill their basic needs, like safe roads, bridges, and other infrastructure. If you don't spend what I gave you on what I need, why would I give you more?

and now you have a grasp of the problem-it really isn't about the politicians it's the people

Taxes on items or paychecks: involuntary.

$2 lottery ticket: voluntary.

It's because we can't in any way guarantee that any of that $2 in taxes will be paid toward things we care about or find important. The money vanishes and we don't have any clue at all as to where it vanishes to.

The $2 on a lottery ticket at least has a TINY chance of not JUST going into someone else's pocket without us knowing NOTHING about what happened to it.

@Kionix Fairly sure you could look into that, if you wanted to.

Nah it's super opaque. Best you can find is how much money is spend in extremely broad brackets.

@mattyh2433 It's because we can't in any way guarantee that any of that $2 in taxes will be paid toward things we care about or...

We know exactly where those $2 are going. They're going to make some old rich guy more rich.

Yeah, could be going to help poor countries fight climate change or could be going to a two fingers up to Mexico wall that harms wildlife.
So many opposing forces in play at the moment.

Giving money to the lottery has a better chance of helping you than giving it to the government…and less of a chance of it being used to blow people up.

I've never bought a lottery ticket in my life because I'm not a complete sucker.

Imagine if we took that 1.9B and invested it into improving our society.

If I could choose for my taxes to go to the lottery, if it meant increasing my odds of winning and entering me into it, I would do that.

of which we will pay at least 75% of in taxes. but we'd rather spend money on our own will rather than it being stolen from us.

Prettydottys avatar Prettydotty Yeah You Are 0Reply

Bruh if ure american a lot of your taxes go straight into weapons and war

Very important we get more money to kill more people, duh who dosent just love pouring monet into to military complex.

If for every $2 I pay in taxes there was a chance (even infinitesimal) that I could win $1.9b, I might complain less (might)!😜

Dr-pens avatar Dr-pen Yeah You Are 0Reply

Yeah because Repuglicans have no real understanding of what socialism actually is...