+105

The History Channel probably had a large effect on the openness and mainstream adoption of conspiracy theorists. amirite?

Bf3247s avatar History
0 20
The voters have decided that Bf3247 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Some of my best sick day memories in the early 2000s were watching the old black and white WWII documentaries.

Dr-pens avatar Dr-pen Yeah You Are +6Reply

Yeah I remember the days when you could say "well I saw such and such on the history channel" and that would be taken as a half decent reliable source.

Now if you say that people hand you the tin foil hat you dropped

@freq432 Yeah I remember the days when you could say "well I saw such and such on the history channel" and that would be...

My college educated, very sensible mother now thinks aliens built the pyramids in Egypt.

I am so disappointed

@tonywonderslostnut My college educated, very sensible mother now thinks aliens built the pyramids in Egypt. I am so disappointed

Okay but that one isn't as far fetched as some.

I mean surely you people are at least somewhat curious about how they were constructed so long ago with the available technology. Not saying it's aliens 100% but I don't know if a better explanation

Manualhams avatar Manualham Yeah You Are +4Reply
@Manualham Okay but that one isn't as far fetched as some. I mean surely you people are at least somewhat curious about how...

AncienthistoryX on YouTube goes in depth about how the tech doesn't match up. And with Gobekli Templi there's good reason to believe an older civilization exited and stuff. Worth a watch just to see some cool pyramid stuff.

I remember around 2010 when they ran that "Mermaid Documentary" that was hilarious. 10/10 trolled so many people.

SnooStoriess avatar SnooStories Yeah You Are +4Reply
@SnooStories I remember around 2010 when they ran that "Mermaid Documentary" that was hilarious. 10/10 trolled so many people.

There was this guy I worked with that fell for hook line and sinker. It was actually embarrassing to be around him the next day at work. But I must say it was very entertaining as a "what if" show about evolution.

@freq432 There was this guy I worked with that fell for hook line and sinker. It was actually embarrassing to be around him...

Indeed, but I feel bad because I was like 16 when it came out and I watched it and at the end, I was so confused. Like how could this be? Until I looked it up and read it was all fake. I couldn't believe how much they played it into being legit. Felt like War of the Worlds to me haha. That's hilarious though. I wonder what would happen if they air a piece like that today....

So is belief that UFOs are extraterrestrials and / or from an advanced hidden civilization on Earth a conspiracy theory? Because that is what History Channel was showing after it veered away from excessive focus on World War 2.

Why are aliens considered to be conspiracy? I'm not sure you all know what conspiracy means as a word

It's TV. Not really the best place to get an education. Especially when you consider it's whole purpose is to sell advertising.

Bf3247s avatar Bf3247 Yeah You Are +4Reply

1995-2001: History

2002-2006: Hitler

2007-Present: Hysterical

100%

History and Discovery used to be great! But they are almost exclusively responsible for the murder of documentaries.

Tanmoykayesens avatar Tanmoykayesen Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Tanmoykayesen 100% History and Discovery used to be great! But they are almost exclusively responsible for the murder of...

It's just crazy to me a rather reliable source one day said whatever and hard pushed pseudo history stuff

Bf3247s avatar Bf3247 Yeah You Are +3Reply

I can draw a direct line from my friends dad being really into Ancient Aliens and UFO stuff 7 years ago to now being a complete delusional Qanon sycophant. I think the effect is even larger than people realize.

@Eastern-Spot2023 I can draw a direct line from my friends dad being really into Ancient Aliens and UFO stuff 7 years ago to now...

So I think that matters. Like ancient aliens itself isn't conspiratorial, but if you believe it, it creates a huge skepticism is your religious foundations which can lead you elsewhere

Did hobby lobby take it over at some point? It got really white jesusy too.

Until you learn that the conspiracy agenda IS the conspiracy since it demeans legitimate inquiry as guilty by association.

Conspiracy theorist have always been with us, social media just gives them a platform.

mattyh2433s avatar mattyh2433 Yeah You Are +1Reply

Haha. Yes, lets go back to the 80s when there was a vibrant and long lived theory that plate tectonics was a hoax and not true.

History channel is the symptom not the disease. How we value education and learning has more to do with it.

Openeyess avatar Openeyes Yeah You Are 0Reply