+137

There is nothing wrong with having a roommate well into adulthood. amirite?

Apartlavishnesss avatar Science
0 91
The voters have decided that Apartlavishness is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

You're also expected to be a successful, career driven home owner by now..

If you have a Roomate over the age of 26. Then you're a loser

Apartlavishnesss avatar Apartlavishness Yeah You Are +4Reply

I think the stigma against roommates is lifting a little with this economy, especially in cities with a high cost of living.

My mom had a roommate when I was starting college, another divorced woman who didn't want to pay extra to live in a house by herself. It was nice. It was like I had another unofficial aunt when I came home to visit.

Where I live many people have housemates. Even couples. Housing is too expensive for most people. There's not so much stigma here because of that I guess.

@JoshByer2 Where I live many people have housemates. Even couples. Housing is too expensive for most people. There's not so...

I think this is something thats going under the radar even more than people having roommates into their 30's.

It's couples having roommates. Being a dual income just isnt enough in some areas and its becoming more popular to have a roommate while being a couple.

I think it really depends on the individual. Personally for me if i'm nearing 40 and i'm still bunking with roommates, i've failed.

I want to own my own home in the next 1 - 2 years which is possible at the moment. I'm 29 now and honestly i'm just over living with other people. I've done it all throughout my 20's and while it was good and we had fun. It's time to move on. I just want a space for myself.

Given the economic climate we live in, it makes sense to bunk with roomies for longer if you can't live with your parents. Some people like the company too.

Not unpopular ... Hell, I know unmarried folks who still rent out individual rooms in their house to random people.

Kasies avatar Kasie Yeah You Are +3Reply

I've got no problem with it. I was making 6 figures and had a few room mates while I was saving money for a house. Do you!

I wish i had a roommate, my rent is extortionate!

Keeping up with the Jones's…. When you are conditioned for one way of living everything seems weird. If you enjoy living with someone, live with them

88080808088s avatar 88080808088 Yeah You Are +3Reply

Why is this NSFW?

@Shiny244 Why is this NSFW?

For the clicks most likely.

Dr-pens avatar Dr-pen Yeah You Are +3Reply

There are many places where having a roommate isn't folks being fiscally conscious, it's actually people having to have roommate because homes aren't always affordable. Doesn't matter what age.

@Iapetus-11 There are many places where having a roommate isn't folks being fiscally conscious, it's actually people having to...

I'm wondering why everyone is jumping straight to houses and not thinkink about living on your own renting an apartment. A studio apartment is also living on your own.

@Prettydotty I'm wondering why everyone is jumping straight to houses and not thinkink about living on your own renting an...

If you'd pay the same for a studio apartment as you would splitting the rent on a house with a roommate or two, why not go with the house that has a lot more room? As long as you have a bedroom to yourself, you basically have the same amount of space as you would in a studio

I think the initial rationale behind this was that as people get older; they get Married and have kids etc.

In a context like that, privacy becomes more important and it's not practical to have roommates.

These days, it's a lot more common to see people choosing to not get married, or get married much later or even not have kids.
Hence, the "Adults should not have roommates" belief simply isn't as relevant,

Probably just shows how completely disconnected people in Hollywood are from actual normal society.

@Mrtechnohawk Probably just shows how completely disconnected people in Hollywood are from actual normal society.

Outside of a few major cities (NYC,LA, SF, Bos) it is very abnormal for 35 year olds to have roommates

I wouldn't make fun of anyone for having a roommate in their late 30s but I would think it's a bit strange, because rents aren't really high where I live.

DueBodybuildes avatar DueBodybuilde Yeah You Are +2Reply

Houses have become unattainable for the average individual making 40k a year now. This will soon be considered completely normal.

Tanmoykayesens avatar Tanmoykayesen Yeah You Are +2Reply

I wanna add I think it's completely fine to still live with your parents even if your a full grown adult.

As long as you help them out/pay rent

Where I'm at it's not really easy to afford a mortgage at a young age anymore but hey I guess that's everywhere now with $$$

@Milkzey What about affording to to rent your own place?

Sure IF people can afford it. Where I'm at it's almost 2k just for a 2 bedroom and my friend couldn't even maintain that at 22 an hour. I'm speaking on behalf of young adults. I do agree it's a weird to still live with your parents if your 50 but hey that could just be personal problems.

@stevnev88 It was family/at home issues for them.

But they're moving out, they are leaving their at home issues behind, why are they getting a 2 bed?

@Crazymotherfuker Office I guess

Yeah that's just textbook bad money management

@opensofias Yeah that's just textbook bad money management

I agree, overall tho I do think apartment prices did skyrocket a little canadian.

However this example was a poor one

@teknogreek Sure IF people can afford it. Where I'm at it's almost 2k just for a 2 bedroom and my friend couldn't even maintain...

My uncle lived with his mother until she died. He was in his late 40's/early 50's by that point. He was basically her caregiver as well.

IMO if you are 40+ and still living at home then you better be looking after your parents at that stage who would be well into their 60's and 70's.

@synthsexual My uncle lived with his mother until she died. He was in his late 40's/early 50's by that point. He was basically...

100% If you make a good wage and capable of helping out then you should be. I dont understand why some people think it's okay to live with their parents forever and not contribute at all.

@Mytokhondria 100% If you make a good wage and capable of helping out then you should be. I dont understand why some people think...

Honestly when you are in your 40s/50s and still living at home with mum and dad i believe its past the point of "helping out". You are their caregiver.

A roommate well? So like Buffalo Bill?

Not anymore there isn't. It's a requirement to get by these days for a lot of people.

Tldfonats avatar Tldfonat Yeah You Are +2Reply

Wouldn't say this is unpopular.

Me and my room-mate have a child together .

dankXDs avatar dankXD Yeah You Are +2Reply

It's really easy math. You need to make 3x. Ask them who in the area pays enough to afford average rent ($3,600/month or $43,000/year).

This is purely a social stigma and economic change. People have done this many times throughout history it's called survival. I think the stigma is in your head more than anything.

@vcsandfeces Yeah it's weird that they took a bad joke from a Netflix sitcom so personally lmao

I guess it touched a nerve. In which case the issue is bigger than his living situation. I hope he can build on that, feel better bout himself.

Isn't this the concept of marriage, except sex is also included with marriage?

@Milkzey Isn't this the concept of marriage, except sex is also included with marriage?

This reminds me of something with a coworker. We were working as case managers who got paid very little. She made a jab at me for living with my parents when she was living with her fiance (who was an attorney who landed a high paying job right out of law school). There were quite a few things I felt like saying to her.

DueBodybuildes avatar DueBodybuilde Yeah You Are +1Reply
@DueBodybuilde This reminds me of something with a coworker. We were working as case managers who got paid very little. She made a...

I'm not saying this as a knock on you or her, but living with your significant other is completely different than living with your parents.

@Mytokhondria I'm not saying this as a knock on you or her, but living with your significant other is completely different than...

We were making the same salaries. She was living with her mother before she started living with her fiance.

Agreed. I have never cared for the template life narrative which society tries to push.

Yeah, might never be able to move out on my own. Pluse, stuff keeps coming up where I have to dip into my savings or not put money into savings that paycheck. Plus, in the US, inflation on the housing market is just gone crazy

I have roommates thanks to the economy run by morons and it sucks

Well, hate to break it for some people, but if you're married with someone, and living together, you've got roommates

Dr-pens avatar Dr-pen Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Dr-pen Well, hate to break it for some people, but if you're married with someone, and living together, you've got roommates

Not all families have 2 people that contribute to the housing payment... OP is talking about roommates that you aren't in a relationship with, hence their mention of the family life thing.

Not necessarily about the family mindset. Just the fact that you should be able to support yourself through your work, especially if you've been paying taxes for about 15 years. Most people have roommates because they can't afford to live in their own space, which is totally understandable, but it does say something about your character if you've had no drive to do better and try to live on your own well into your thirties.
Also, living with other people sucks. I could have a great roommate but still feel the want to live on my own because I like not having to worry about how I present myself in my own home.

@LookAnAltAccount Not necessarily about the family mindset. Just the fact that you should be able to support yourself through your...

But if you move out as soon as you can afford it, how are you going to accumulate a down payment?

I bought a house and had roommates for two years. I got helped through the hardest years of my mortgage payment, and they got cheap rent and saved for their own down payments.

If the three of us had our own one bedroom apartments for those two years, we'd probably still be renting.

@LookAnAltAccount But if you move out as soon as you can afford it, how are you going to accumulate a down payment? I bought a house...

I mean I'm never going to own a home. Because having a mortgage is no different than renting. So, saving up for a mortgage is different entirely. But I'm saying living in a 3-bedroom apartment in most of America when you're 35 and have not been through tough times can be a red flag. Living by yourself in a studio apartment I think makes more sense than buying a home and needing roommates. How much space do you need, really?

I feel your perception is colored by an old idea that has been propped up as the "way to do things," which I think is part of OP's point. But the idea of having a family, owning a home, retiring is falling out of favor quickly as boomers and Gen X die off. It's not economically feasible for most people, which again I think is part of OP's point. But to not even try is also weird.

Having roommates by itself is not bad, but add that to other aspects of a person's life and it can seem weird.

Agree 100%

For my (sad to say literally but) falling apart house me and my buddy are renting in CA, with no internet besides satellite, we pay 1600. 2 beds, 1 bath, 1 car garage. The kitchen and living room are conjoined. The foundation doesn't extend to one of the bedrooms, lots of issues. It is cost-effective, safer (safety in numbers or whatever) and we enjoy each other's company. Sorry we want to be able to get piss drunk and then say gnight and not have to catch a cab or worse drunk drive home. F them all and I'm happy to live with my best friend

There's nothing wrong with anything as long as you're not harming yourself or anyone else. You do you.

I agree. People are communal by nature and have been fit into this nuclear family mold because it's easier to control.

Framie1s avatar Framie1 Yeah You Are +1Reply

I think this line of thinking is going to die off soon. The average millennial can't afford their own home. There's no more "move out at 18 and by 22, you'll have a house" because corps, richer ppl, etc. have purchased them all anyway, lol.

@Thenaturelover I think this line of thinking is going to die off soon. The average millennial can't afford their own home. There's...

@Eastern-Spot2023 I'm wondering why everyone is jumping straight to houses and not thinkink about living on your own renting an...

Because renting is throwing your money into a black hole to fund a landlord that doesn't want to work.

Some-Noname-idks avatar Some-Noname-idk Yeah You Are +5Reply
@synthsexual And a mortgage is doing the same thing, but your landlord is the bank.

It's not really the same thing though is it. You can't sell your rented house / flat, but you can make a profit from selling it or even rent it out to others. Made £95000 from the sale of my last house and what a blessing that was cause I needed a bigger house. Kids = more space required!

@JoshByer2 It's not really the same thing though is it. You can't sell your rented house / flat, but you can make a profit...

Kids is another whole ballgame. But unless you plan to be in your house long-term, it doesn't make much sense here in America. 2008 and 2020 taught me that. Plus I know plenty of people that "made money" on seling their house, after paying money to fix interiors and plumbing. So not much of a profit after that.

@tonywonderslostnut Kids is another whole ballgame. But unless you plan to be in your house long-term, it doesn't make much sense here...

More profit than you get from renting! In my experience a mortgage is generally less than someone would pay to rent a smaller place. I don't really know what the costs are like in America, maybe it is better to rent there.

SnooStoriess avatar SnooStories Yeah You Are +1Reply

In my town, a studio isn't much cheaper than a regular sized apartment. The apartments are at mortgage level rents too.

I don't know about where you live but most people I know with housemates are renting.

But why live in a single room for $350 a least a week if you could share a house and have more space and a yard if multiple people pay $350 a fortnight

Ah yes

R O O M M A T E S

I'm a single male in my mid 30s who owns his place and it's great. But I don't plan on getting married ever (personal choice), and the freedom, peace and quiet are great but I wouldn't mind living a like minded person. It does get lonely and the dual income wouldn't hurt.

I'm just a Jay looking for my heterosexual life partner.