+124

You could remove majority of romantic relationships from non-romance movies, tv shows and books and it wouldn't change the plot and actually improve the movie, show or book. amirite?

JoshByer2s avatar Books
0 54
The voters have decided that JoshByer2 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I think Shang-Chi was awesome because they didn't ship him with Katy.

I feel like I need clarification here.
Are we talking about sex scenes as romance or actual falling in love romance because if we are saying that shows should have less semi-graphic, loud sex scenes that just make the room uncomfortable than yes I agree, you literally could just show a simple kiss and a bed and eveeyone knows exactly what is going to happen.

But if we are saying that romance as in falling in love has no place in shows/movies than I can't agree . Maybe it's my rossy glasses of life but I think characters falling in ( and sometimes out ) of love is one of the most relatable things about shows/movies and makes them seem more real.

Think of it this way. You are drawing a landscape. You don't need to make it a cloudy day. You would still be drawing a landscape. But you can draw the clouds anyway because it adds a bit to make the drawing a little bit more interesting instead of a boring blue characterless sky. It's the same with romantic relationships in films. Yes you can not have them. But having them adds that little bit of extra detail to the characters.

I realized that it was this exact reason that I loved Lightyear so much. Yes, romance is involved in the early part of the story, but Buzz doesn't have a "finding a girlfriend" B-Plot. It's amazing!

I doubt it's really majority though I know totally unnecessary romance exists.

Usually, I find that the romance informs motivations and heightens stakes and that character decisions can make less sense without it.

Most people get into relationships.

jodzdzownicas avatar jodzdzownica Yeah You Are +4Reply

Idk man. Rise of Skywalker would've sucked if we didn't get that scene of Rey and Kylo kissing

You forgot to mention video games. Some of my least favorite parts of games like Baldur's Gate 2 and Dragon Age: Origins were the stupid relationship side quests that the game kept trying to force on you.

It's not the majority. There are some unnecessary romantic plots, but they are definitely the minority.

Sex and love are fundamental human experiences and huge drives and motivators for humans.

@bigdaddy69-4life It's not the majority. There are some unnecessary romantic plots, but they are definitely the minority. Sex and...

sex is definitely not a „fundamental" human experiences regarding the fact that asexuality is a thing and that doesn't make you any more or less human than everyone else lol
And about the love aspect: why can't it be platonic love as in friendship or family for once ? That also relates to most people. And that's the thing OP was saying. In pretty much every movie there's a sex scene or romantic relationship going on which is actually pretty much useless for the overall story that's told. One big example would be (almost) every James Bond movie but many many more..

Cheytuflyas avatar Cheytuflya Yeah You Are +4Reply
@Nickyikky Asexuality is very uncommon

and still that doesn't make sex a fundamental human need / experience. Since it doesn't make you any more or less human If you don't have sex, you know what I'm saying?

Larny2019s avatar Larny2019 Yeah You Are +2Reply

You don't need to show the sex scenes though. That's just unnecessary horniness.

And about romances: movies ship people together in a couple of days for no reason other than them being together for a while and having opposite gender. It's a fundamental experience yes, but totally misrepresented. Might as well not represent it rather than doing it like this.

Mrtechnohawks avatar Mrtechnohawk Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Mrtechnohawk You don't need to show the sex scenes though. That's just unnecessary horniness. And about romances: movies ship...

You also don't need to show any fight scenes, that's just unnecessary bloodlust.

I disagree. I don't think we should be placing any sorts of limits. A sex scene can drive the plot, it can reveal a lot about the character, it can be a source of comedy. Saying it's just horniness is a bit reductive.

I'm not saying every film needs it or that it's always done well, but saying that it's always unnecessary is just plain wrong.

mattyh2433s avatar mattyh2433 Yeah You Are +1Reply

And sometimes the relationship isn't THE most important thing about the movie/show. The best example of this is Stephen Kings 11-11-63. The book was over 800 pages and the love interest wasn't even introduced until like page 600. But when they made it into a mini series, he met her in the first 20 minutes and the entire series was nothing but a love story.

100% I was reading ‘The Surgeon' which was recommended by a lot of people and totally put off by the love angle between the cop investigating a case and the victim in said case.. like come on, who does that? Ridiculous. I almost gave up completing it.
Same with books where they write paragraphs about how attractive a random woman looks like with no link to the actual plot. Gtfo

How is this not a popular opinion by now? Couldn't agree more that romance is unwarrantedly forced into way too many plots

you would love the marvel cinematic universe

Huh, what about chuck? I think the romance makes that show even better

Milkzeys avatar Milkzey Yeah You Are +3Reply

I don't like when it's superfluous. It has to take the plot or a character somewhere. It has to inform the audience in some way. Removing it all is pointless, but I'll admit it's overdone a bit.

The 80s was a helluva drug.

Boknows12s avatar Boknows12 Yeah You Are +2Reply

Agreed. I'd love to see more genuine platonic relationships without tension between men and women.

But art imitates life in this regard. It's very hard to find true male friends as a woman.

Agreed.

In my own world, I actively seek out ace and/or aro stories/authors. I enjoy the stories so much more and have a much easier time paying attention to what it is I'm reading.

@88080808088 Agreed. In my own world, I actively seek out ace and/or aro stories/authors. I enjoy the stories so much more and...

That makes sense, these stories are better for you since they relate to your experience more. But most people do relate to romance so doesn't it make sense to have these storylines in things

Like Titanic.

RichardGarcia2s avatar RichardGarcia2 Yeah You Are +2Reply

Why else would the female be there then? 😂😂

Overall I agree with you a lot. Especially friends to lovers trope really kills me because they refuse to represent healthy male-female friendships

Humans are obsessed with romance and sex.

"Something for everyone".

So the deal is, your just saying your not into those sun plots, it others are, so for the movie, it makes more people happy with it.

My wife would say the same about violence, "you could just not show it. Tell about it, but don't show the violence, and the plot the same."

But some of us like to watch the violence.

Or car racing. Or sword fighting. Or sex scenes.

Everybody's into somthing different, and the movie maker is just trying to make the most people happy.

This is an incel take.

True Dat, but Hollywood is determined to work in romance preferably R-rated in anything.

DueBodybuildes avatar DueBodybuilde Yeah You Are +1Reply

I usually skip these scenes if I can. They're very boring and typically add absolutely nothing to the story.

It would also decrease the sells. People love romance drops. Also, romantic moments can lighten the mood in otherwise heavy movies, so don't underestimate their role.

Bf3247s avatar Bf3247 Yeah You Are +1Reply

Saving Private Ryan needed a romance scene forsure

synthsexuals avatar synthsexual Yeah You Are +1Reply

One word will destroy this: Twilight

Iapetus-11s avatar Iapetus-11 Yeah You Are +1Reply

This is why Percy jackson was great untill they actually put him and annabeth together

honestly this is such a popular opinion.

anyways i love romance if it doesnt make the media worse i wanna see a cute little coffee shop date and cuddles and all that warm stuff

It helps show the stakes. Take Deadpool for example. We need to know that either this character is loved or loves so we care more about them and understand them as a person. Sure it could be replaced with some other relationships, but romantic ones are easy and powerful.

dankXDs avatar dankXD Yeah You Are 0Reply

"You can remove all murders from the non-murder genre movies, and it won't change a thing in the plot. Except for the murder happening of course, and the aftermath and all that."

Ever since I watched Game of Thrones I'm completely done with sex scenes and usually skip through them.

That characters are about to have sex (for the first time) can be a major point in the plot, but I'm legitimately watching a show for the plot... If I'd be "watching it for the plot" I'd put on some actual god damn porn ffs.

Initiating sex is fine, but then continuing for a full minute or more... Guys, come on, again, it's not a porno.

Like game of thrones?

Mytokhondrias avatar Mytokhondria Yeah You Are 0Reply