+104

plastic is not our enemy, lazy humans are, amirite?

teknogreeks avatar Science
0 73
The voters have decided that teknogreek is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Something like 80% of plastic ocean trash comes from mostly 2 rivers in Asia.

The US contributes just 0.2% of the plastic trash in the oceans.

DueBodybuildes avatar DueBodybuilde Yeah You Are +6Reply
@stevnev88 Are they in India and China? Also , source?

I saw video of a river in Haiti just spewing plastic and other trash into the ocean like it was no big deal.

I have no loyalty to plastic. Give me a good alternative and I'll use it.

Otherwise, my thinking is that no matter how hard I try, a company can undo in a single day (less) what I have done in an entire lifetime, so I'm not going to try too hard. When they started talking about banning plastic straws I went and bought some, and now I have plastic straws for the rest of my life. Two boxes. My local Wal Marts night shift has created more trash in the last thirty minutes.

Tanmoykayesens avatar Tanmoykayesen Yeah You Are +5Reply

Most plastic isn't necessary and shouldn't be used. Back in the day food was wrapped in wax paper and we all survived.

opensofiass avatar opensofias Yeah You Are +5Reply

Jesus christ this opinion is not unpopular it literally is just generic and boring.

I would say it's greedy humans (corporations) but ok.

Some-Noname-idks avatar Some-Noname-idk Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Some-Noname-idk I would say it's greedy humans (corporations) but ok.

Y'all just wanna blame everything on corporations. Do you not use plastic or something?

opensofiass avatar opensofias Yeah You Are +2Reply
@opensofias Y'all just wanna blame everything on corporations. Do you not use plastic or something?

?? Not sure if this is low effort bait, or if you lack critical reasoning

Either way, not today bestie x

I dont personally throw any trash in the ocean. Or anywhere except a trashcan. Sadly, when it gets picked up from my house I dont control where it goes from there.

It's actually mainly a handful of countries that are responsible for all that pollution in the Pacific. And it ain't America, even back when we had plastic straws.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Same stupid argument.

Nickyikkys avatar Nickyikky Yeah You Are +3Reply

This is objectively false

Corporations and the plastic industry have been lying to the public since they launched. But sure, it's not plastic's fault… it's our fault for inventing it and it's our fault for continuing to use it now that we know the truth.

I'd like to challenge that. While lazy people cause more plastic pollution, everyone unavoidably contributes to plastic pollution. Any plastic object experiences wear and tear, releasing microplastics to the environment.

Well, humans aren't going to change so plastic is the enemy.

Just ban plastic..

@potatobunny Just ban plastic..

No thats what i am trying to say plastic has good atributs it is not per see a bad thing.

teknogreeks avatar teknogreek Yeah You Are +5Reply
@potatobunny Just ban plastic..

Yes, ban the bad thing, ban worked so good before, it will surely work now.

Doing something about plastic consumption is easier than changing the nature of humans

Recycling was made up by the plastic companies to shift the blame off of them and onto the consumer. Single use plastics are not sustainable.

@Cheytuflya Recycling was made up by the plastic companies to shift the blame off of them and onto the consumer. Single use...

Even beyond that, a significant portion of plastic ends up in the ocean because of lying politicians. Locally a mandatory blue bin recycling program was introduced (about) a decade ago. A large recycling sorting facility was produced, our taxes went up to cover the increased costs, but many claimed that it was worthwhile because it meant plastics were kept out of the landfill. It turned out the largest cost was paying a company in the Philippines to take these plastics and that company threw the plastic into the ocean.

The politician who created this "brilliant" program was re-elected several times, and a large portion of his supporters were environmentalists who loved him based on his intentions and ignored the result of his policies.

@tonywonderslostnut Even beyond that, a significant portion of plastic ends up in the ocean because of lying politicians. Locally a...

Unfortunately, most people don't do any digging on their chosen politician. The first thing I do with any candidate is look for dirt on them.

Its kinda like the "guns dont kill people, people do". We know it needs an asshole human to make it bad, but its hard to get rid of the human error

browndog888s avatar browndog888 Yeah You Are +2Reply

Single use plastics and most plastics I imagine have a net negative effect over the entire course of their existence. They may provide some benefit in the immediate/short term (using them and recycling them). But the overall impact to our environment over the long period it takes to degrade likely negates any previous benefits. Convenience and our society's current reliance on them inflate their value while ignoring their externalities.

@Tontonsflingueurs Single use plastics and most plastics I imagine have a net negative effect over the entire course of their...

Not to take away from the many things that would not be currently possible without plastics, but a long lasting society cannot survive with our current culture of dependence on plastics

I still preffer steel, weight be damned

Balkany4Evers avatar Balkany4Ever Yeah You Are +2Reply

I don't know where you got the BS about 3d printing body parts, but it is the biggest lie not uttered by Donald Trump I have heard in a long time.

@Bf3247 I don't know where you got the BS about 3d printing body parts, but it is the biggest lie not uttered by Donald...

You're right i had a poor choice of words i did not mean literally i am sorry. I corrected myself. They got inspired from plastic 3D Printers and now print small pieces but not with actual plastic.

teknogreeks avatar teknogreek Yeah You Are +3Reply

I've never in my life thrown plastic into an ocean.

@SnooStories I've never in my life thrown plastic into an ocean.

OMG you have to try it - SO worth whatever tiny downside there might be.

mattyh2433s avatar mattyh2433 Yeah You Are +3Reply

That argument is illogical because the same argument could be applied to guns. Guns aren't the problem, it's the way that people use their guns that's the problem. Or fast food, fast food's not the problem it's people that eat the fast food that's the problem and so on and so.forth.

It's so sad to see people fall for the "pollution is the fault of the individual" propaganda pushed by corporations that do the pollution in the first place to shift the blame.

Okay, plastic industry social media outreach associate

Nickyikkys avatar Nickyikky Yeah You Are +2Reply

Plastic isn't even recycled anymore

Iapetus-11s avatar Iapetus-11 Yeah You Are +2Reply

I never liked the term "enemy" for things that are not sentient. It implies a certain amount of intentional maliciousness and that it's wronged you on purpose somehow.

It should all be recognized as an environmental hazard and we should definitely dispose of waste better. But "enemy" is a misnomer.

Right now, its not certain if microplastic is dangerous. Sure, better to play save tho

Kasies avatar Kasie Yeah You Are +2Reply

My mom just read a study about how humans currently have plastic in our blood because there's particles in the food we consume and the air we breathe. Barbie was right all along, life is plastic.

jodzdzownicas avatar jodzdzownica Yeah You Are +1Reply

Marketing and lobbyists are the enemy

Mytokhondrias avatar Mytokhondria Yeah You Are +1Reply

Micro plastics are everywhere and would be no matter how they are disposed. Wrong > unpopular

Plastic being so common is the issue. It's hard to get a cashier to not give you a bag. Everything comes in plastic that is worthless and fills the landfill because it's not worth recycling. 5% of plastic put in recycling bins was recycled last year. Something that last lifetimes and we only use once is idiotic

Micro plastics, in everything, disposal doesn't matter, ot comes off of your clothes, the ramifications of this are still being discovered. Plastic is the problem too.

Lying scamming cheating corporations are the problem. You blaming the consumer is the exact propaganda they've been selling us for years.

I mean yeah. But same goes for guns, bombs, etc. Just by themself, there's really not that big of a problem (just assuming the bomb doesn't just go off by itself). It's most of the times humans that make things a problem. But since we can't change 8 billion people, we have to limit access to the stuff that people just aren't able to handle properly

@404ChompyNotFound I mean yeah. But same goes for guns, bombs, etc. Just by themself, there's really not that big of a problem (just...

Or we just change the entire way we dispose stuff which we would also benefit from in other ways/materials but yeah i get your point.

@teknogreek Or we just change the entire way we dispose stuff which we would also benefit from in other ways/materials but yeah...

I'm 100% on your side. It would be great if we somehow are able to achieve that. It's just sad you will always have those few percent of people who don't give a damn and ignore even the best dispose system and still throw their trash wherever they want. You had to get money for collected plastic which at least would cause some people to collect others trash for some bucks, idk

Plastic is going to be green in about twenty years anyway.

synthsexuals avatar synthsexual Yeah You Are +1Reply

While OP has a point about lazy humans. A lot of plastic contains chemicals that leech out into our food and eco system. These ‘plasticisers' are a big contributing factor into the fifty per cent drop in male fertility in the last forty years.

It's not people throwing it into the oceans. It's corporations

vcsandfecess avatar vcsandfeces Yeah You Are 0Reply

I hate this opinion. Things should be designed with human foibles in mind. You don't exclusively tell everyone to not touch the power lines, you bury them or put them up high first.

I actually do agree with this tbf

Vic8760s avatar Vic8760 Yeah You Are 0Reply

Unpopular opinion: burning plastic waste for energy is the best way to get rid of it.

88080808088s avatar 88080808088 Yeah You Are 0Reply
@88080808088 Unpopular opinion: burning plastic waste for energy is the best way to get rid of it.

But wouldn't the fire then release tons of toxic chemicals in the air?

teknogreeks avatar teknogreek Yeah You Are +1Reply
@teknogreek But wouldn't the fire then release tons of toxic chemicals in the air?

High-temperature incineration: picture a very tall rocket stove.
Also, chimney filters to absorb any remaining chemicals before they make it into the atmosphere.

Plastics are basically fossil fuels waiting to be used.
Even if there are still small amounts of chemicals that make it into the air, it's probably fewer chemicals than are currently seeping into all our water, every living creature, and literally soaking into you from the millions of microplastics you have in your body at any moment.

Prettydottys avatar Prettydotty Yeah You Are 0Reply

Hard disagree. Plastic has uses in specific contexts but at the moment plastic is near-ubiquitous and often used because it's cheap, not because it's the best material for the job. Plastic waste would be negligible if we recognised its drawbacks as a material and consumed and wasted less and used more sustainable, long-life materials.

Most plastic doesn't end up getting recycled even if it's discarded in the proper bin.