+141

Cell phone speakers are ruining music, amirite?

Vic8760s avatar Music
0 13
The voters have decided that Vic8760 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

What you say makes sense that it could be happening that way. I always figured that bubble gum music went by the wayside in the 60s(?) because of the advent of the "wi fi". Before that, lots of people were listening to the radio on a tiny little radio set with one tiny little speaker, so for it to sound good, it had to be simple music in high tones. Once people started buying wi fis, richer and more complex music became more the norm (e.g. Led Zeppelin). But that's before my time and I don't know. It's just a hypothesis.

No, artists are not trying to make music that sounds good on phone speakers. I don't know where you got this idea, most people use headphones or earbuds. People who blast music in public on their phone are just trying to be annoying and want attention, they listen to headphones or real speakers in private.

Phil Spector and the artists/engineers that created music for the sole purpose of sounding good on AM radio would disagree.

I do not prefer the sound of cell phone speakers or AM radios, but i do love walls of sound, sweeping string arrangements, and doubled vocals.

Bass frequencies have longer waves need a bigger speaker

@Openeyes Bass frequencies have longer waves need a bigger speaker

Idk man some earbuds can push some serious air

Vic8760s avatar Vic8760 Yeah You Are +5Reply

Where are you that people regularly play music on phone speakers? Like everyone has headphones these days. To be fair, a lot of them are in-ears and even the best of those can't completely keep up with proper headphones but that doesn't change the fact that you should not be hearing a lot of phone speaker music. Either way the idea that people are producing music for phone speakers is ridiculous.

Also I'm a basshead (or rather -chest) and that music will never fly on a phone.

Is it that the music being played on a phone speaker is being customised to sound better on that speaker or that you aren't hearing the parts that don't play well from a phone speaker when you hear them?

Are they removing low end or is the phone just not playing it well for example?

No, not true.

Small speakers can produce low frequencies, but at a much lower volume.

If the bass is turned up too far on a small speaker, it will then begin to wash out the higher frequencies.

At low volumes this isn't too much of an issue, like with earbuds the bass can actually be very strong, but when you are trying to fill a space with sounds from a tiny speaker you have to make a sacrifice.

You can make it a little better by using the equaliser to weight the output more to the bass, which should attenuate a lot of the hissy treble

@Classicdry2232 Small speakers can produce low frequencies, but at a much lower volume. If the bass is turned up too far on a...

Which leads me to another thing I've noticed... clipping on purpose to "emulate" bass. The first time I heard this on my living room theater stereo, my daughter was playing it. We got into an argument on whether it would hurt the stereo or not. Then I realized it's _IN_ the music, not just turned up too loud.

Vic8760s avatar Vic8760 Yeah You Are +1Reply

The Record industry is ruining music, along with online services.

Just get an iPhone

Thatoneduderyans avatar Thatoneduderyan Yeah You Are +1Reply

I actually think mp3s have ruined audio. People think mp3s are equivalent to CD-quality sound but they aren't.

Milkzeys avatar Milkzey Yeah You Are 0Reply