+150

Generation tags such as Boomers or Gen X are discriminatory, amirite?

Boknows12s avatar Science
0 26
The voters have decided that Boknows12 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Generations aren't a real thing, just an odd set of stereotypes. Ofc it's gonna be discriminatory.

Adults aged 65 - 80 also typically are those in power and have the ability to change laws, limiting the type and placement of housing such that adults under 40 cannot afford it.
Now replace "adults aged 65-80" with Boomer and "adults under 40" with Millennials.
Still a statement of facts, not a discriminatory process, but may tickle someone's nerves the wrong way.

Discrimination: the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex.

If someone didn't hire someone based on their age, that would be ageist discrimination.
If someone refused to lease an apartment to a person due to their age, that is ageist discrimination.

The things you listed? Opinions, based on perception. Some can be supported with evidence, other merely conjecture.

The OP isn't giving an unpopular opinion, just salt because someone has an opinion of their age group that they don't like.

Dr-pens avatar Dr-pen Yeah You Are +7Reply
@Dr-pen Adults aged 65 - 80 also typically are those in power and have the ability to change laws, limiting the type and...

You're picking and choosing, and OP's point is that it's not acceptable everywhere, and is viewed as discriminatory in every other context but age.

If one were to say, "Black people commit a lot of crimes". That would probably be deemed discriminatory but one could give a similar justification to how you presented your argument.

One of the smartest guys I know is 29. He says people his age were lied to about having to go to college. He is very smart, college wasn't for him. He bought a house, is family oriented. He said he could work more to make more money, but he enjoys spending time with his kids. Each generation has good and bad

KilljoyXs avatar KilljoyX Yeah You Are +6Reply

I know many Boomers that don't own their own house and are sooooooo incredibly far from being millionaires. You've mixed up Gen Z and Millenials in your description. You're dead wrong about these generalizations and stereotypes.

Gen X doesn't care what you think.

@Crazymotherfuker Gen X doesn't care what you think.

Is that because you think they are all entitled?

Boknows12s avatar Boknows12 Yeah You Are +7Reply
@Boknows12 Is that because you think they are all entitled?

No. We genuinely don't care what you think. It's not out of any sense of entitlement. It's because your opinion just isn't worth caring about.

Kionixs avatar Kionix Yeah You Are +6Reply

I've never heard of the gen X entitlement stereotype before. That's always been tagged onto millennials as the "participation trophy" generation.

browndog888s avatar browndog888 Yeah You Are +6Reply

I'm a millennial and I don't care what people think about my emo music.

stevnev88s avatar stevnev88 Yeah You Are +3Reply

Can confirm. I'm Gen X and we really don't care what you think.

Well see boomers actually did that, calling someone entitled or hating on their music choices is discriminatory.

See how one is talking about real world action, the other two are matters of opinion?

@monsterallergies Well see boomers actually did that, calling someone entitled or hating on their music choices is...

Their music being terrible us just as objective as the housing crisis.

Youth are always entitled.

@Professor-kaoss Their music being terrible us just as objective as the housing crisis. Youth are always entitled.

Ironically objectively incorrect

Ok boomer.

Gen X doesn't act entitled, quite the opposite.

Boknows12s avatar Boknows12 Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Boknows12 Gen X doesn't act entitled, quite the opposite.

Sorry I may have got the common one wrong, I get mixed up with which gen is what label (because I think the whole thing is rubbish and unfair to label)

Boknows12s avatar Boknows12 Yeah You Are +6Reply

不不不

Thatoneduderyans avatar Thatoneduderyan Yeah You Are +3Reply

Each category discritimates ( which means to divide/separate from the latin).Could be a category related to the skin color, the hair color, the religion, the generation of reference, the zodiac.... etc
In fact we all discriminate when choosing a partner, otherwise we would just stick with the first who appears.

So yeah, good morning! You have been discriminating the others all your life and it's not bad

this is probably one of the most chronically online takes I've seen surrounding Generations, every generation has pros and cons. At the end of the day they're just used to identify a group of individuals within a specific age range, it's unfair to judge an entire group of millions of people by a minority cast of that gen.

vcsandfecess avatar vcsandfeces Yeah You Are +1Reply
Please login or signup to leave a comment.