+126

I hate all forms of copyright and want it gone, amirite?

Pmbuttpics4adrawings avatar Law
0 37
The voters have decided that Pmbuttpics4adrawing is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Stupid opinion, held by someone with no understanding of the risk reward of innovation. Copyrights/patents/IP insures that if someone comes up with something truly brilliant, they can make a ton and retire off of it. This encourages people to spend more time being original and less time copycatting. If you remove this, you don't reduce risk at all but you inhibit the rewards. Total innovation will decrease.

@Crazymotherfuker Stupid opinion, held by someone with no understanding of the risk reward of innovation. Copyrights/patents/IP...

Thats not true due to first move advantage.

Otherwise why aren't Disney knockoffs you can absolutely buy selling out?

Also Disney itself and many others used public domain and other ideas.

Coming up with an idea should not prevent others from coming up with it.

is the op like 8?

Wow. This is one awful awful opinion

I hate all forms of copyright and want it gone

I don't want it completely gone

What is it?

@monsterallergies I hate all forms of copyright and want it gone I don't want it completely gone What is it?

Read as "be gone but I know that if we don't keep minimal form of it the world will be in chaos and authors unrewarded".

Wow this is horrible.

You write a book/make a movie/create anything? You only have 5 years to call it yours (and make any money off of it) before you don't own it anymore.

Imagine working for years to write a book, get it published, finally see it on shelves… only to lose rights to it 5 years later.

@StevenBeercockArt Wow this is horrible. You write a book/make a movie/create anything? You only have 5 years to call it yours (and...

As a creator(mostly videogames-related, but also other areas like art and such) I think it is a perfectly fine period of time. Yes, I wasn't just some angry customer or whatever.

You're making too big of a deal from sharing right with everyone. You still can profit off of it. You are still the official author, the first in eyes of many who made this, and a respected person as long as you don't screw this up.(look at warhammer, good product dumb company)

@Pmbuttpics4adrawing As a creator(mostly videogames-related, but also other areas like art and such) I think it is a perfectly fine...

So let me guess as a "creator" you are just to lazy to made something original and would prefer to take advantage of others time and effort.

Kionixs avatar Kionix No Way +7Reply

Authors can set a profit target before releasing, they can release their works once the target is reached by consumers

That just wouldn't be good at all

mattyh2433s avatar mattyh2433 Yeah You Are +6Reply

This would really hurt creators.

Why would companies pay for things like movie, video game or toy rights. When they can just work on it then release it after the copy write expires on year 5.

TLDR: OP stole someone's IP changed a fraction of it and is now pissed over lawsuit.

lazar94s avatar lazar94 Yeah You Are +6Reply

I hate copyright too, but that's not a solution. Imho anyone should be able to use any IP and any profit should be shared wirh the copyright owner. This would fix most problems leaving only the benefits of an open idea market.

teknogreeks avatar teknogreek Yeah You Are +5Reply

Well, now this was clickbait.

DueBodybuildes avatar DueBodybuilde Yeah You Are +5Reply

I think copyright should be restored to the 28 years max it was originally intended to be. If you can't monetize your creation in almost three decades, too bad.

Balkany4Evers avatar Balkany4Ever Yeah You Are +5Reply

Agree with greatly reducing it.

Letting people hold intellectual monopolies for decades is wrong and stifles competition.

Mrtechnohawks avatar Mrtechnohawk Yeah You Are +5Reply

Patents should be limited to 10 or 25 years, copyright should be limited to 50 or 75 years, and trademarks should protected as long as they're re-registered or defended.

@Framie1 Patents should be limited to 10 or 25 years, copyright should be limited to 50 or 75 years, and trademarks should...

What's your opinion behind protecting artistic works so much longer than physical innovations and technology?

Cheytuflyas avatar Cheytuflya Yeah You Are +5Reply

All this does is disincentivize people to create anything.

This is a truly awful, awful idea, born of ignorance and selfishness.

What a great way to halt innovation.

dankXDs avatar dankXD Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Pmbuttpics4adrawing Or rather accelerate it

how exactly would it accelerate anything?

why would someone spend 15yrs working on a project when they only have exclusive rights to it for 5yrs?

how do you think they should handle things like trademarks, merch, logos

what do you think should happen if there are sequels planned?

Assangeofficials avatar Assangeofficial Yeah You Are +7Reply
@dankXD What a great way to halt innovation.

Yes, there were no innovations before copyright

@contextrip That was sarcasm

yeah so was that person's remark

Balkany4Evers avatar Balkany4Ever Yeah You Are +7Reply
@Balkany4Ever yeah so was that person's remark

But it is actually a good point. Copyright advocates pretend it has always been this way. It hasn't and if copyright were around for the wheel we'd prob still be in the stone ages

Some-Noname-idks avatar Some-Noname-idk Yeah You Are +8Reply

I love when I see an opinion here that makes me genuinely low-key hate the OP. Good job.

Apartlavishnesss avatar Apartlavishness Yeah You Are +3Reply

You must write fanfiction

Or you could just be creative and come up with your own ideas. We have more than enough lazy copying.

Boknows12s avatar Boknows12 Yeah You Are +3Reply

Something tells me OP got done for copyright infringement and is a little salty about it.

Bf3247s avatar Bf3247 Yeah You Are +2Reply

There have been cases where movies/shows/books/songs go viral after many years.