+158

We're never really present. Things are always either in the past or the future. amirite?

dankXDs avatar History
0 14
The voters have decided that dankXD is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

we're always in the present, but by the time we know it, we aren't

Shiny244s avatar Shiny244 Yeah You Are +4Reply

Either that, or there's only the present and there's no such thing as the past or the future.

@Openeyes Either that, or there's only the present and there's no such thing as the past or the future.

I think OP is probably more correct as seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting and feeling things all have a processing time and occur factually after the point of time in which you are experiencing them.

Achilles982s avatar Achilles982 Yeah You Are +5Reply
@Mcgee0 This is interesting. What do you mean by "time"?

A measure of distance traveled.

A measurement of decay

An atomic frequency.

The 4th dimension.

A fabric of space.

@Professor-kaoss A measure of distance traveled. A measurement of decay An atomic frequency. The 4th dimension. A fabric of space.

I'm sorry, I understand seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting, and feeling as processing one's environment, but I don't know what you mean by time.

dankXDs avatar dankXD Yeah You Are +6Reply
@dankXD I'm sorry, I understand seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting, and feeling as processing one's environment, but I...

It's a fabric of space.

A measurement of distance that can be distorted by mass.

Your brain uses a measurement of time to process your experience. By the time you've fully processed that experience the time in which you are experiencing has already passed atomically

Iapetus-11s avatar Iapetus-11 Yeah You Are +6Reply

My dog passed away in February, he was the first dog that was my full responsibility. It made me into the responsible person I am today, helped me understand others (and want to understand others), made me a better person. But...I realized that most of the time, I was just trying to get from point A to point B, never stopping to just enjoy my time with him. I will always regret that and it kills me now to think about it...this is what I thought about when I read your AIR.

WesternSatyrs avatar WesternSatyr Yeah You Are +3Reply

You are too concerned with what was and what will be. Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift.

(That's why it's called the present.)

! it's a kung Fu panda quote, don't shoot me!<

Kionixs avatar Kionix Yeah You Are +1Reply

But what about now? No, wait.... NOW! Dammit.. wait five seconds then say "now." You predicted the future and your mind allowed you to conceive it, and it happened in the present while the present existed, or will exist soon.